Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Finally, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp has been sort of released for both iOS and Android. Currently softlaunched in Australia and expected throughout the world at the end of November, AC: Pocket Camp has you once again customizing your character, meeting cheeky animals, buying furniture, decorating your own place, and dealing with crippling debt :negative:

And that's why we love it!

It's out worldwide now!

Here's the Nintendo Direct video of the game so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2wXiwgNd0

Want to pre-register for it? Here ya go -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zaca

All the info for the game, from the Google Play store description:

quote:

Get back to nature in Animal Crossing™: Pocket Camp, the new Animal Crossing mobile game where you take on the role of campsite manager!

You're in charge, so you can decorate your own campsite however you like! Make it fun, make it cute, make it sporty—it’s up to you to craft the kind of furniture and amenities that will make your camp a must-see for animals visiting the area.

Building Your Dream Campsite

- Help Animals As You Explore!
While visiting different recreational spots, you'll meet new animals who could use a little help. They'll be looking for fish, fruit, bugs, and other things to get their camping adventures started—and when you help them out, you'll earn Bells and craft materials in return!

- Craft Furniture and Amenities

The craft materials you earn by fulfilling animals’ requests can be used to craft all sorts of furniture and amenities for your campsite.

Just open up the Craft menu and place an order with Cyrus, the hardworking handyman from Re-Tail on the Road. Then sit back and wait! Or, if you're in a hurry, you can move your order to the very front of the line by using Leaf Tickets. You can purchase Leaf Tickets with real money, or earn them through regular gameplay.

- Your Campsite. Your Way.

The joy of Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is creating a space that suits you and your style.

Your campsite can be anything you like—from a traditional space that celebrates nature to a flashy fun house with concerts and rides. It's all up to you!

You can also customize your camper, visit your friends' campsites to get ideas for your own, and meet new animal friends as you explore recreational areas!

- Host Animals at Your Campsite
As you grow your friendships with different animals, they'll want to visit your campsite. Craft and decorate with their favorite items, and you’ll be able to host them whenever you like—even if you change up your decorations completely!

Note: This game is a free download with in-app purchases.

Note: A persistent Internet connection is required to play Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp.
Cellular data charges may apply.

With regards to IAP (in-app purchases), so far, the only thing that you'd use real money to pay for would be Leaf Tickets, which are a way to speed things along, and (I could be mistaken) buy certain things without using the long-standing AC in-game currency, bells.

There's also an APK floating around, but I don't know anything about that. I'd look for it and install it, but I really want to go into the game fresh, with my 'My Nintendo' account synced up from the beginning. I don't know why I care about that stuff, but I do :shobon:

Obviously, an Animal Crossing game wouldn't be proper if you couldn't connect with friends/goons who will find ways to poo poo up your camp, so below are a list of friend codes. I'll update this as much as I can. Also, I'm assuming that iOS players can play with Android players? If not, I'll be sure to denote which platform each person is on when listing their codes.

FRIEND CODE LISTINGS

Turtlicious - 4235 2202 653
mrkillboy - 6030 4116 225
Kabuki Shipoopi - 4201 1494 794
pnau - 5403 3911 674
i like tacos - 8272 5858 587
rapner - 4288 7623 137
Colin Mockery - 7676 4217 792
Croccers - 6173 7075 041
Kyrosiris - 8626 0271 485
rhoga - 2147-1236-974
boy are my arms tired - 8353 9513 046
Rupert - 0630 9329 593 :smug:

Important Leaf Ticket info (thanks io_burn!)

io_burn posted:

I've been playing a ton of this to write Animal Crossing content for TouchArcade, and I think the most important thing to do when starting is hoarding your Leaf Tickets. The first session of the game is sort of a long drawn out tutorial where seemingly everything you do awards anywhere between 10-30 Leaf Tickets. Initially it seemed like the most intelligent thing to do with Leaf Tickets was buy out all three crafting slots with Cyrus, but it's starting to feel like the real limitation of the game is inventory space. You start out being able to hold 100 items, and you can spend 20 tickets to add 5 more slots to your inventory.

I'm curious what strategy you guys have taken to using your Leaf Tickets in the most optimal way?

Anyway, I wrote up a pretty lengthy first impressions piece on the game here- http://toucharcade.com/2017/10/25/animal-crossing-pocket-camp-first-impressions-review/

Here's what the first session looks like, which lasts just under two hours before you start running out of poo poo to do-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmKn3TvGZ4

This OP will be filled out as more information comes forth.

Such as this (written pre-NA launch) :

Thwomp posted:

Notes from the late-game:

The highest loan amount I've reached so far is 150,000 bells (previous loans were 100k, and 125k). No idea if it'll go higher beyond this and it seems a little pointless at this stage as other players have to actively enter your camper to see your progress/setup when visiting.

The mid-tier amenities are definite must crafts, at least to level 1. It's not hard to get animals to level 7 very quickly. Early game should be focused on finding visitors who supply Cotton and getting them invited to your campsite as every early-tier amenities requires cotton.

High-tier amenities require two different kinds of essences (rare-ish crafting materials). They also have 72 hour timers. They're required to unlock the animal level cap of 20 (from 15 which you'll hit in short order if you aren't focusing).

Leaf Tickets are pretty sparse after you nab all the initial stretch goals. Only leveling up grants additional Leaf tickets after goals are met.

After level 12, animal visitors want you to craft a special item. Don't craft these until after you've unlocked the level 20 cap on visitors. It'll add 10 points to them and you'll quickly find them bumping up under the level 15 cap.

My advice for when the game launches later this month:

Starting out, find any visitor who rewards Cotton and get them into your campsite. Bother them at every opportunity to give you more cotton and build out every early-tier amenity to level 3.

Pick two visitor types to focus on and get every animal of those types invited to your camp. You'll want a balance of reward types so you stand less of a chance running out of crafting materials. There are five kinds of crafting materials: 3 common (Cotton, Wood, Steel) and 2 uncommon (paper, preserves).

Unlock all the mid-tier amenities (level 5 for your focuses, just level 1 for the other two types).

Grind away until you unlock the high-tier amenities for your chosen types then go back and unlock the others. Don't craft each visitor's special item until you've built their high-tier amenity.

Hoard Leaf Tickets until you see something you really, really want. You won't get many more free ones after the initial 400-500ish from leveling and stretch goals.

There's all my :words: about Animal Crossing.

Thwomp posted:

Not to toot my own horn but I wrote two Pocket Camp guides for TouchArcade. They should answer most questions people have had so far starting out.

Here's a Beginner's Guide and here's a guide to maximizing your daily efforts.

:siren:FRIENDS LIST STUFF!! :siren:

Anaxite posted:

It started working for me, but I'm waffling over which of my Nintendo accounts to use.

The servers may not yet be super stable, but this is a reminder that there I maintain an SA Animal Crossing friends database if people care to use it. I'll be on the lookout for new entries this week especially.

Fill out this form to get added: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form
And see the database here: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db

(I'm a bit lazy in renaming the URLs)

Helpful chart (updated Jan 8th, 2018)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I've been playing a ton of this to write Animal Crossing content for TouchArcade, and I think the most important thing to do when starting is hoarding your Leaf Tickets. The first session of the game is sort of a long drawn out tutorial where seemingly everything you do awards anywhere between 10-30 Leaf Tickets. Initially it seemed like the most intelligent thing to do with Leaf Tickets was buy out all three crafting slots with Cyrus, but it's starting to feel like the real limitation of the game is inventory space. You start out being able to hold 100 items, and you can spend 20 tickets to add 5 more slots to your inventory.

I'm curious what strategy you guys have taken to using your Leaf Tickets in the most optimal way?

Anyway, I wrote up a pretty lengthy first impressions piece on the game here- http://toucharcade.com/2017/10/25/animal-crossing-pocket-camp-first-impressions-review/

Here's what the first session looks like, which lasts just under two hours before you start running out of poo poo to do-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmKn3TvGZ4

Pretty cool game overall, tons of potential, but I think how much you like it depends on what you enjoyed most out of Animal Crossing. I was into the turnip market and relationships with my neighbors. The former seems totally absent, and the latter is pretty basic compared to "real" Animal Crossing games as characters just float in and out at random?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adding your link and video to the OP, thanks!

Also, I'm hoping that they at least add in the stalk market sometime, because I loved it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how did I miss this

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Also it's pretty trivial to play this right now if you download the Australian soft launch version, the only region locking is making sure your Nintendo Account (which you can fiddle with at http://my.nintendo.com ) has your country listed as Australia. I'm not sure if this affects other things linked to your Nintendo account, but when I change this setting around my Switch makes me log back in to my account. I'm just making sure I change it based on the games I want to play (i.e. switching it to AU for Animal Crossing then back to US for Switch) but I have no idea if this is necessary or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eonwe posted:

how did I miss this

Spending too much time in the Neogaf thread :negative:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
At least you dang Americans aren't crashing servers like you did when Pokemon GO soft launched. :argh:
Code is 6173 7075 041

Seems to me best bet for your fun bux is to unlock one build slot and dump some bux into a slighter larger inventory so you can carry some more random crap.
Fruit respawns every three hours so that can bottleneck favours.
You need 5 friends to help you get into the Quarry so you can mine rocks or money so there's a bottleneck there too.
You can Fish and Bug Hunt to your inventories content.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 26, 2017

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Every level ups your inventory by 5 spaces. It's still tough but that's normal Animal Crossing.

It seems like you still want to go fishing and bug hunting constantly. A friend of mine caught a fish that sells for 15000 bells.

Also as people said before, the KK and Nook special out now is pretty worthless. You can't build a relationship with them and they're pretty much expensive decorations

I might have been playing nonstop

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

My friend code (iOS) is 7676-4217-792.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Can't wait to mmake new animal enemies.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

io_burn posted:

Also it's pretty trivial to play this right now if you download the Australian soft launch version, the only region locking is making sure your Nintendo Account (which you can fiddle with at http://my.nintendo.com ) has your country listed as Australia. I'm not sure if this affects other things linked to your Nintendo account, but when I change this setting around my Switch makes me log back in to my account. I'm just making sure I change it based on the games I want to play (i.e. switching it to AU for Animal Crossing then back to US for Switch) but I have no idea if this is necessary or not.

If one were going to go this route, where would one find a solid APK? Is this how it worked for Fire Emblem? Anyone get banned doing this in previous games?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Going to add those friend codes to the OP, but does anyone know if iOS and Android players can play together? I'm going to assume yes, until I hear otherwise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Going to add those friend codes to the OP, but does anyone know if iOS and Android players can play together? I'm going to assume yes, until I hear otherwise.

I’m going to assume it’s like the other Nintendo stuff and say yes.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

New Leaf posted:

If one were going to go this route, where would one find a solid APK? Is this how it worked for Fire Emblem? Anyone get banned doing this in previous games?

I don't think I'm allowed to answer the first question but this is how it worked for fire emblem and all my friends and I didn't get banned. I don't think anybody got banned for jumping in early but I can't vouch for everybody.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gonna quote some posts I made in the new leaf thread:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Catch rates.

This info is in game under Details of the honey, and nets, but I thought I'd post it for the inevitable thread.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Just hit level 10 and it gives you more space, so don't spend your leafbux too hastily before that!

And level 15

i like tacos posted:

I might have been playing nonstop

What up plays-this-game-too-much buddy :respek: just hit 17 this morning. This is a perfect game for being stuck home and sick.

So far I've caught a blowfish, a football fish and a jewel beetle but I'm too scared to sell them because I'm afraid I might need them later on :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok that’s it I’m going to go home and make an aus iTunes account for this.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If I go ahead and create an Australian iTunes account to download the game, will I lose all progress when the US version comes out, or will I be able to link my save to my Nintendo account and transfer progress that way?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Klungar posted:

If I go ahead and create an Australian iTunes account to download the game, will I lose all progress when the US version comes out, or will I be able to link my save to my Nintendo account and transfer progress that way?

No one knows for sure bit it seems like a very safe assumption that progress will transfer with your Nintendo account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can you make an AUS iTunes account from the phone? I seem to recall awhile back you could only really do it from iTunes on the computer since the phone wants you to add a credit card.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Can you make an AUS iTunes account from the phone? I seem to recall awhile back you could only really do it from iTunes on the computer since the phone wants you to add a credit card.

I just created one and downloaded the game solely from my phone, so it is indeed possible. I followed this guide: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/create-a-second-apple-id-for-downloading-apps-in-other-countries/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Klungar posted:

I just created one and downloaded the game solely from my phone, so it is indeed possible. I followed this guide: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/create-a-second-apple-id-for-downloading-apps-in-other-countries/

Awesome thanks!

I’m stuck in the hospital for with the wife for the next few days so animal crossing here I come!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Been playing this off and on, it's really fun. :) 8626 0271 485 is my code (and I'm on Android, so if iOS people add me, it works, etc).

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Add me. Sell me your bugs. Bug me for rocks.
2147-1236-974

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

This game is already great.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Klungar posted:

This game is already great.

Looks like the essence of cool to me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Looks like the essence of cool to me.

Happy Birthday, Shwqa Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Gonna use this game to get my girlfriend into the series. She loved Neko Atsume which is a stripped down version of this concept. Game looks pretty ok!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i'm in, FC is 8353 9513 046, name: surtr

this is extremely relaxing

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

PROTIP: leaf tickets will probably be best saved for event items, the current items are KK Slider and Tom Nook’s chairs, which will get them to come visit your camp. Bet you 500 bells that there will be holiday character items, promotionals and recurring rate/uncommon guest items that cycle.

They are also good for unique camper paint jobs, maybe even shoes. So, just wait those timers out.

I did the alternate AUS account to preview. Can’t decide if I want to bind it to a Nintendo account or wait for the release proper. Kinda really really want that KK Slider chair, and the link would give me the 100 more tickets I need.

io_burn posted:

No one knows for sure bit it seems like a very safe assumption that progress will transfer with your Nintendo account.

There are details on this in the “Common Questions” section in Settings.

Probably not happening.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Been looking forward to this for a while.

Friend code: 1775 3901 444

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There are details on this in the “Common Questions” section in Settings.

Probably not happening.

A reset isn't happening or a progress transfer isn't happening?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
caught a rare koi which is apparently "worth" 40k bells? tossed it up on my market board but I'd be shocked if anyone ever bought it ever

is there a museum or something we can display fish/bugs/etc?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Friend Code: 8544 0162 999

Closest thing I've found to a display area so far is the market box section, but I'm only level 10. There doesn't appear to be a dedicated location but there might be an item you can place at your campsite in the future.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Join Tex and I for a cup of squid soup!

Friend Code: 1427 7460 330

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

io_burn posted:

A reset isn't happening or a progress transfer isn't happening?

After re-reading the material, there actually is nothing that specifies for or against linking your save data to your Nintendo Account and then transferring over later when you have a later iteration of the game for your proper region. When you set up your game, it asks you are region you are in, and Australia is currently the only option; and there is no option to change that setting that I have found, so far. I can't say for sure if they will give you that option again during transfer, or if you will simply be loading an Australian save file in your otherwise non-Australian app. What this could mean is anyone's guess, regional differences regarding holidays or events?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

After re-reading the material, there actually is nothing that specifies for or against linking your save data to your Nintendo Account and then transferring over later when you have a later iteration of the game for your proper region. When you set up your game, it asks you are region you are in, and Australia is currently the only option; and there is no option to change that setting that I have found, so far. I can't say for sure if they will give you that option again during transfer, or if you will simply be loading an Australian save file in your otherwise non-Australian app. What this could mean is anyone's guess, regional differences regarding holidays or events?

Yeah, as much as I want to play this early, I don't want to get into some weird region limbo with my progress.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
So should I wait before linking my account then?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I really think we're reading a bit too much into the region locking stuff. If Nintendo wanted to really region lock the game they'd only allow Australian IP's to connect which is what Gameloft does when they soft launch stuff. Instead, it seems like they're making a real basic check to see which country you have listed in your My Nintendo profile. I've been experimenting switching mine around and all switching my country seems to do is sign me out of the Nintendo eShop on my Switch. (Which is just as simple as re-entering my password.)

When I've got Australia selected on My Nintendo, Pocket Camp will let me play. When I have any other country selected, it gives me a weird generic connection error on load. I don't think there's much reason to assume this is going to work any different from any other soft launched game that uses Game Center (instead of My Nintendo). In that case, what happens is your progress is tied to your Game Center account, and when then game is released you just delete the soft launched version and download it again in the US so you can buy IAP with your US account and everything transfers over because it's linked to Game Center, not your iTunes account or anything else.

I can't really come up with a reason why this would be any different, as all Nintendo would be doing is inviting a massive support headache if suddenly they were deleting progress or locking accounts or whatever. If you're hardcore enough to download the game now and you want to transfer progress so you can start buying poo poo with dollars when it hits the US, that's the exact kind of behavior any free to play dev will encourage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I tried every drat which way to make an AUS iTunes account with no dice. Used my Mac my phone my iPad. None of them worked for whatever drat reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
if your nintendo account isn't australian, you cannot link your nintendo account anyways; it gives you an error code and forces you to close the game, but you can restart it and continue playing (the game will still recognize that your nintendo account isn't linked)