Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This thread loving died.. what happened? I'm not able to play because i'm US and don't want to tempt fate, but I'm interested in the game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New Leaf posted:

This thread loving died.. what happened? I'm not able to play because i'm US and don't want to tempt fate, but I'm interested in the game..

I genuinely think it's just a matter of most of the world not getting it legitimately. I know that, despite being the OP, I'm not playing it until it's actually released. Then I'm adding all you jerks, and we are going to have a time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im playing it but honestly theres not a lot of content. Inviting animals to your camp becomes more expensive as you level up. Levels are capped by facilities which take days to build etc.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Im playing it but honestly theres not a lot of content. Inviting animals to your camp becomes more expensive as you level up. Levels are capped by facilities which take days to build etc.

Yeah, I think I said this already but the most positive thing about the game is it made me interested in New Leaf again. Friend code in my post history (I'm yet to do that quarry thing)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Hollenhammer posted:

Yeah, I think I said this already but the most positive thing about the game is it made me interested in New Leaf again. Friend code in my post history (I'm yet to do that quarry thing)

Thanks, that's really sweet of you to say, but I'm a married man..

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

New Leaf posted:

Thanks, that's really sweet of you to say, but I'm a married man..

:allears::golfclap:

If there were 50 some fish/bugs to catch, fossils to find, plants to plant, marquees to violate, clothes to makes, and museums to display all my stuff I'd play this poo poo every day.

The game is basically all about fetch quests so you can unlock poo poo to craft, to unlock animals which unlocks fetch quests which unlocks poo poo to craft... Endlessly until you hit 48+ hour crafts at which point everything grinds to a halt and all you can do is arrange furniture and farm until you hit the inventory limit.

The quarry nets you a couple thousand bells if you're real lucky, also nobody buys anything from your personal market that costs more than 300 bells.

The game is best played in very small bursts as a time killer, and not like Animal Crossing.

Hopefully it will eventually be more than what it is, but I reeeeeally dout it will be anything more than a cyclical time killer.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I enjoyed it for a few days but haven’t felt the need to play it since then. There’s just not much to talk about either.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I was really excited about the customization part of it, but it's more limited the more I look at it. The amenities (large tent whatevers in the back) are the same for everyone out of the 4 styles you can choose, and the main area where you can really decorate is also pretty limited and doesn't take long before things look really cluttered.

Decorating your camper is also like, what's the point? No one else can see what you did to the inside of your camper unless there's a way I don't know about (and which only says how hard it would be for others to look at campers too). You also never spend any time inside your camper unless it's for the sole purpose of going to decorate it.

I'll probably play this until I can make my campsite look like a cool garden, but otherwise I don't know what else you can do besides trying to craft one of everything for no reason. The supplies needed are kinda all over the place too, like one bookshelf will take 15 wood but then a table will take like 90 wood.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I agree that having a Museum or even being able to display rare catches (you can't drop any of the stuff you can pick up) really limits what you can do. It'd be nice to have a reason to want to collect the rare stuff (outside of getting to the end game and having a visiting animal ask for one and get a big payout).

I still enjoy it but a few more Animal Crossing tweaks would move it past the idle game category its a little trapped in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Willsun posted:

I was really excited about the customization part of it, but it's more limited the more I look at it. The amenities (large tent whatevers in the back) are the same for everyone out of the 4 styles you can choose, and the main area where you can really decorate is also pretty limited and doesn't take long before things look really cluttered.

Decorating your camper is also like, what's the point? No one else can see what you did to the inside of your camper unless there's a way I don't know about (and which only says how hard it would be for others to look at campers too). You also never spend any time inside your camper unless it's for the sole purpose of going to decorate it.

I'll probably play this until I can make my campsite look like a cool garden, but otherwise I don't know what else you can do besides trying to craft one of everything for no reason. The supplies needed are kinda all over the place too, like one bookshelf will take 15 wood but then a table will take like 90 wood.

Uuuuuuuuh I check out the insides of everyones camper. Just tap their camper.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Hi from the AC:NL thread!

I maintain the current AC:NL player database and recently added a section for Pocket Camp. You're all welcome to use it, though it might be more useful after the worldwide release.

--
The player database is at: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db
To get added, you can use the form at http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I guess I missed that part, and maybe I just skip past dialog too fast but I don't remember them ever telling us we can go inside other campers' vans.

Also before I dump a bunch of bells, do we get that overhang on our camper vans by upgrading it more? I've upgraded my camper twice and it still looks the same as it does when you start the game. I know I see different kinds of campers for sale at the OK Motors with that overhang so I don't know if I need to buy one of them first or what. I just want it to look like all the other campers but keep the colors I get to customize because I don't care for those pre-made patterns like flames or flannel.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

There's two body styles for the campers, the classic one you start with and the modern one that has the overhang. They have slightly different patterns available but you can probably keep it looking pretty close to the same. You should be able to go to OK motors and talk to the main one to customise the camper which lets you change the body Style as the first step (I think, I don't have the game installed anymore).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I believe you have to hit level 10 or something to unlock the other camper.

The patterns for each are a bit different and you can't apply patterns for the smaller camper to the larger one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Notes from the late-game:

The highest loan amount I've reached so far is 150,000 bells (previous loans were 100k, and 125k). No idea if it'll go higher beyond this and it seems a little pointless at this stage as other players have to actively enter your camper to see your progress/setup when visiting.

The mid-tier amenities are definite must crafts, at least to level 1. It's not hard to get animals to level 7 very quickly. Early game should be focused on finding visitors who supply Cotton and getting them invited to your campsite as every early-tier amenities requires cotton.

High-tier amenities require two different kinds of essences (rare-ish crafting materials). They also have 72 hour timers. They're required to unlock the animal level cap of 20 (from 15 which you'll hit in short order if you aren't focusing).

Leaf Tickets are pretty sparse after you nab all the initial stretch goals. Only leveling up grants additional Leaf tickets after goals are met.

After level 12, animal visitors want you to craft a special item. Don't craft these until after you've unlocked the level 20 cap on visitors. It'll add 10 points to them and you'll quickly find them bumping up under the level 15 cap.

My advice for when the game launches later this month:

Starting out, find any visitor who rewards Cotton and get them into your campsite. Bother them at every opportunity to give you more cotton and build out every early-tier amenity to level 3.

Pick two visitor types to focus on and get every animal of those types invited to your camp. You'll want a balance of reward types so you stand less of a chance running out of crafting materials. There are five kinds of crafting materials: 3 common (Cotton, Wood, Steel) and 2 uncommon (paper, preserves).

Unlock all the mid-tier amenities (level 5 for your focuses, just level 1 for the other two types).

Grind away until you unlock the high-tier amenities for your chosen types then go back and unlock the others. Don't craft each visitor's special item until you've built their high-tier amenity.

Hoard Leaf Tickets until you see something you really, really want. You won't get many more free ones after the initial 400-500ish from leveling and stretch goals.

There's all my :words: about Animal Crossing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Notes from the late-game:

The highest loan amount I've reached so far is 150,000 bells (previous loans were 100k, and 125k). No idea if it'll go higher beyond this and it seems a little pointless at this stage as other players have to actively enter your camper to see your progress/setup when visiting.

The mid-tier amenities are definite must crafts, at least to level 1. It's not hard to get animals to level 7 very quickly. Early game should be focused on finding visitors who supply Cotton and getting them invited to your campsite as every early-tier amenities requires cotton.

High-tier amenities require two different kinds of essences (rare-ish crafting materials). They also have 72 hour timers. They're required to unlock the animal level cap of 20 (from 15 which you'll hit in short order if you aren't focusing).

Leaf Tickets are pretty sparse after you nab all the initial stretch goals. Only leveling up grants additional Leaf tickets after goals are met.

After level 12, animal visitors want you to craft a special item. Don't craft these until after you've unlocked the level 20 cap on visitors. It'll add 10 points to them and you'll quickly find them bumping up under the level 15 cap.

My advice for when the game launches later this month:

Starting out, find any visitor who rewards Cotton and get them into your campsite. Bother them at every opportunity to give you more cotton and build out every early-tier amenity to level 3.

Pick two visitor types to focus on and get every animal of those types invited to your camp. You'll want a balance of reward types so you stand less of a chance running out of crafting materials. There are five kinds of crafting materials: 3 common (Cotton, Wood, Steel) and 2 uncommon (paper, preserves).

Unlock all the mid-tier amenities (level 5 for your focuses, just level 1 for the other two types).

Grind away until you unlock the high-tier amenities for your chosen types then go back and unlock the others. Don't craft each visitor's special item until you've built their high-tier amenity.

Hoard Leaf Tickets until you see something you really, really want. You won't get many more free ones after the initial 400-500ish from leveling and stretch goals.

IMO This should go into the OP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

IMO This should go into the OP.

Done!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

👍🏻

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Thwomp posted:

Do you know whether crafting gets less expensive the more you level up the amenities? 120 conserves to craft cornstalks just seems obscene, and it's like every level 5 animal has that one item that's way too expensive. Like, I can keep upgrading the amenities no problem, but I haven't had a new animal visit in forever. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Standard f2p progression chart

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Crafting does get more expensive but your visitors give out more materials as they get higher levels. The rewards increase at level 5 and 10 and I presume 15.

Visitors start asking for uncommon fish/bugs (red snappers, black bass, horned beetles) after they get to 10 too. They pay full price (1,000 bells) which helps offset crafting and higher loan costs.

Also, visitors staying at your campground refresh their requests faster. You can bug them for gifts and requests every hour to hour and a half.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 15, 2017

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

At this point all I want is the tree house, already have the tree swing, a bunch of bushes/hedges and as many plants as I can to make my place look like a garden, then never touch the game again.

I'm not sure what else there is to appeal to me to keep crafting. They don't have a good list of things you can buy if you get to X level so there's really not much I'm looking forward to.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I wouldn't really compare this game to most other F2Ps. It doesn't feel like it's dicking you over, and I've played it a shitload during little gaps of downtime in my day. There's not a lot to do, but it's not aggressively unfun the way most mobile games are, so it makes a good timesink.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

How do I get more natural essence? I feel like this part is bottlenecking me the most because there seems to be way less friends with natural affinity compared to like cute and sporty and I only get one measly natural essence per friend level up (which is taking forever now that they're level 10 and above) and upgrades to amenities are at 20 essence a pop and items needing natural essence I want to craft are like 3 essence at least.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Willsun posted:

How do I get more natural essence? I feel like this part is bottlenecking me the most because there seems to be way less friends with natural affinity compared to like cute and sporty and I only get one measly natural essence per friend level up (which is taking forever now that they're level 10 and above) and upgrades to amenities are at 20 essence a pop and items needing natural essence I want to craft are like 3 essence at least.

Timed Goals, leveling up visitors, and pestering the visitors in your campsite (there's a random chance they'll hand over an Essence).

And pulling back on crafting items that require Essences unless absolutely necessary.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I don't know if the game changed or if I hit a certain level with most animal friends but they only give out sparkle stones now in lieu of essences. There's like no essences to be found anywhere beyond daily goals.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Buy tickets, hit rocks.

(UNINSTALL)

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Game goes global on the 22nd. STRAP IN!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is such an obvious companion app to a Switch game that doesn't yet exist and it makes me wonder why they're launching it so early (aside from the fact that it'll make money no matter what).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm just disappointed that it's so goddamn shallow. :\

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's been a common theme with Nintendo's mobile apps (aside from FE Heroes which is a by-the-numbers gacha game).

In this case it's very obviously meant to be something that hooks into a "real" AC game and not something you're supposed to put a lot of time into on its own merits, but that's exactly how they're rolling it out so whatever, that's their problem.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Where are you people getting that it's supposed to be a companion to a game?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Besides the very beginning of launch, I haven't been able to do the quarry again since no one is playing anymore to press the help button. Hopefully the all-new American crew will help boost that so I can have some more essence and maybe finally get a treehouse.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm just disappointed that it's so goddamn shallow. :\

this but for every version past the original :smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

duckfarts posted:

this but for every version past the original :smith:

Huh? I played Wild World and New Leaf and they were better than the original. I recall my only complaint was they needed more Holidays.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zesty posted:

Huh? I played Wild World and New Leaf and they were better than the original. I recall my only complaint was they needed more Holidays.

maybe i'm missing something, but they both felt more limited to me. also, including the NES classics in the original was also sweet as hell and that died

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Willsun posted:

I don't know if the game changed or if I hit a certain level with most animal friends but they only give out sparkle stones now in lieu of essences. There's like no essences to be found anywhere beyond daily goals.

Yeah, I'm starting to run into this issue, too. Getting the correct materials has become a lot easier now that I know that some animals give you certain materials more frequently. Essence really only crops up sporadically, though, and of course they make you use it for furniture as well.

someone awful. posted:

Where are you people getting that it's supposed to be a companion to a game?

It better be, is all I'm saying. :colbert:

duckfarts posted:

maybe i'm missing something, but they both felt more limited to me. also, including the NES classics in the original was also sweet as hell and that died

Seems kind of pointless to include a bunch of games you could just as easily play on your PC or 3ds, independently.

One thing the original did really well was give the animals weird stuff to talk about. New Leaf kind of had the issue that they would keep spewing tutorials at you even hundreds of hours into the game. Pocket Camp has the same exact problem. Sometimes the animals talk about interesting stuff, but usually it's: "Do you know how the store works? Let me tell you."

Of course, that doesn't mean Pocket Camp hasn't been pretty entertaining at times.

There are some good interactions.

I hosted an empty camp party for this goober.

And I met a ghost…

Who keeps multiplying.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 20, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Willsun posted:

You get sparkles stones from animal visitors at levels 7 and 11 (I think). They go back to giving Essences around those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope that, with the worldwide launch of the game, there's some sort of content update. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
It's possible. Nintendo has updated their mobile apps after launch, though it seems to take a while.

Although maybe the updates will consist of linking to the mainstream games and not much else. Who knows?