Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I sometimes think I should’ve gotten in more fights in my younger days, or at least gotten in A fight. It might’ve been an effective way to blow off steam. Instead I just grew up with a slowly-building rage and inclination to hate at the slightest provocation. Now I don’t know what to do with it.

Conversely, maybe I should have learned how to deal with my feelings instead of getting good at repressing them but uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Definitely would have convinced my parents to take a taxi home instead of walking when we watched Zorro

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

a bone to pick posted:

The thing I'm most ashamed of is that I never had sex in high school when girls were literally throwing themselves at any cock that moved. If I could go back I would be a man whore and just sleep with everyone I could instead of being a prude.

i didn't have sex in high school, and as a result i only had one boyfriend in high school and he broke up with me for not having sex with him

my self-esteem was way too high for me to get pressured into anything, which is fine i guess

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Probably have them make less mean/joking comments about homosexuality. Maybe just less mean/bullying in general. More discipline would have helped after we only lived with mom.

Luckily I got knocked on my rear end really fast after leaving the house so I figured things out fast. I think things all turned out fine all things considered :) my parents are flawed but they did a good job.

Barudak posted:

Definitely would have convinced my parents to take a taxi home instead of walking when we watched Zorro

lol

warez fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 27, 2017

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
a hug, dont conceive me, either

I really cant imagine my parenrs doing anything to reverse all the weird thought patterns that wreck me, I feel like they all would have developed regardless and there is no way to have stopped it. It's all me :wooper:

ANUSTART fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 27, 2017

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

hackbunny posted:

what an incredibly bad idea oh my god

okay, I should probably append "and nobody lost their poo poo over it," especially cuz we were like the one quasi-atheist family in a school where probably 70% of the staff and students went to the same church. everyone was already wary of us

but like I moved schools between 4th and 5th grade, so that summer would've been prime time for deciding that I was gonna be a girl from then on

noether fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 27, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I definitely would have punched more people in the face.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I wish I never got in that time machine & banged my mom, becoming my own father and creating eddies in the space-time continuum

Hindsight is 20-20 :shrug:

noether
May 1, 2017

myDad posted:

I wish I never got in that time machine & banged my mom, becoming my own father and creating eddies in the space-time continuum

is 2020 also the year you went back in time

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

myDad posted:

There's always time enough for love.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
My parents were more "friends" than parents. Bad habit from them is mockery to show affection, because they are emotionally retarded or something

So when I mock my thin skinned goon BF he gets upset, and doesn't understand that I mock because I love. What a pansy-rear end fucker he is

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally A Person posted:

Please God, no loving private catholic school.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

noether posted:

but like I moved schools between 4th and 5th grade, so that summer would've been prime time for deciding that I was gonna be a girl from then on

still, ugh. christ! that's so dangerous. would it really have improved your childhood because it could only have made mine worse and god knows where I would be now. possibly dead and I'm not exaggerating. be careful what you wish for :ohdear:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Docahedron posted:

My parents were more "friends" than parents. Bad habit from them is mockery to show affection, because they are emotionally retarded or something

So when I mock my thin skinned goon BF he gets upset, and doesn't understand that I mock because I love. What a pansy-rear end fucker he is

I had an extremely sarcastic mother who would poo poo on my interests and book choices as a child, but only ironically.

Turns out kids aren't that good at sarcasm. I still love her and get her jokes now but goddamn.

noether
May 1, 2017

hackbunny posted:

still, ugh. christ! that's so dangerous. would it really have improved your childhood because it could only have made mine worse and god knows where I would be now. possibly dead and I'm not exaggerating. be careful what you wish for :ohdear:

I mean, I'm talking about socal in the mid-2000s with mostly non-religious parents that were best buds with a whole bunch of cis gays and knew other trans women already. like yeah being a trans kid is always going to be rough, but my environment growing up was about as good as it gets and I wish I'd been able to take full advantage of it.

I'd kill to skip out on male puberty and spend the fun part of childhood as a girl.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

lmao books like these have been entirely replaced with clickbait articles

who writes self help books anymore?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Docahedron posted:

like a cigarette should posted:

I had an extremely sarcastic mother who would poo poo on my interests and book choices as a child, but only ironically.

Turns out kids aren't that good at sarcasm. I still love her and get her jokes now but goddamn.

Add me to the sarcastic upbringing group. My entire family relentlessly mocks each other to the point where the yearly Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering usually ends up with someone in tears or driving home in the middle of the night on Christmas eve.

I made a girlfriend cry one time because after genuinely laughing at her joke I told her to call Guiness and report the first funny joke ever told by a woman and she almost broke up with me because she said I was saying that she was never funny before that.

It's like I'm on an alien planet sometimes because even dude bros get their feelings hurt when I make fun of them for catching a cold or something.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I should have kissed li'l Cindy Ridgeway, right on her dirty ginger mouth. I KNOW she was crazy about me, and instead of hemming and hawing and what-iffing I shoulda just laid one right on her and driven us both on down to Snog Town.

Hell, I shoulda kissed all the girls, instead of being an enormous candyass all the way till my junior year when Kathy Lew practically had to force her sweet, throbbing tongue down my throat to snap me the gently caress out of it, and by then the die had been unfortunately cast.

Ah well, all water and other bodily fluids under the bridge at this point.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 27, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would have joined the Something Awful Forums sooner.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I made a girlfriend cry one time because after genuinely laughing at her joke I told her to call Guiness and report the first funny joke ever told by a woman and she almost broke up with me because she said I was saying that she was never funny before that.

That's pretty loving hilarious but good god that sounds like a horrible relationship

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

noether posted:

the mid-2000s

are you even drinking age

get off of my loving lawn lol

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Add me to the sarcastic upbringing group. My entire family relentlessly mocks each other to the point where the yearly Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering usually ends up with someone in tears or driving home in the middle of the night on Christmas eve.

It's like I'm on an alien planet sometimes because even dude bros get their feelings hurt when I make fun of them for catching a cold or something.

Thank you for being honest and at least somewhat self-aware about this, but I've had this sort of 'friendship' before and it is the motherfucking worst.

Then again, if I'd had a dad who'd taught me there are other ways of dealing with adversity than drinking and barely-repressed rage, maybe I'd have grown a thicker skin and not be such a crybaby bitch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

That's pretty loving hilarious but good god that sounds like a horrible relationship
Yeah, but sounds like she got out.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I wouldn't change anything. My real dad and mom taught me about lots of good things. My biological father didn't. He's not my real dad!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a bone to pick posted:

The thing I'm most ashamed of is that I never had sex in high school when girls were literally throwing themselves at any cock that moved. If I could go back I would be a man whore and just sleep with everyone I could instead of being a prude.

In retrospect I'm happy I didn't have sex as a teenager, the very thought of accidentally knocking somebody up and potentially being stuck in my hometown is just horrifying.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i would pick another dad preferably one that doesn't idolize rush limbaugh

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Oh well that's easy I'd make it so that my mom wasn't addicted to meth. I can hardly imagine what I'd be like but I probably wouldn't be quite as self-destructive and neurotic. Can only imagine that'd be an improvement.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i told my dad about bitcoin in 2009 and begged him to let me buy some but he told me it was gay and retarded

honestly i probably would have sold it or gotten it stolen in between then and now, but still.....drat

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wish I'd had the childhood foresight to tell my mom to dump my dad's depressed alcoholic rear end and get a divorce so he could finally hit rock bottom and either lift himself out or stop dragging people down with him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

like a cigarette should posted:

Same only it wasn’t sarcasm

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wouldn’t change anything because my parents absurdity only prepared me for a needlessly punitive and cruel world. Like, life-ruining events for sone people have just been my daily bread so I cope well with our cruel universe :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never mind, actually please don’t use freezing my disabled cat as a threat for having skipped extra credit assignments when I already had more than 100% in the class. Freeze me to death. The cat is innocent.

noether
May 1, 2017

hackbunny posted:

are you even drinking age

get off of my loving lawn lol

I'm 22, bitchhhhhhh :dance:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

noether posted:

I'm 22, bitchhhhhhh :dance:

I remember the time around when you were born very well. That's when Rabin was assassinated, and things turned to poo poo reaaaallly fast.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bimmi posted:

Thank you for being honest and at least somewhat self-aware about this, but I've had this sort of 'friendship' before and it is the motherfucking worst.

I'm picturing Jim Belushi in most of his roles.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

This all hits way too close to home.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm picturing Jim Belushi in most of his roles.

It's like having your own personal Don Rickles, which can be fun, but less so than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I have this theory though that maybe parents loving you up is what drives people to want kids. Like, to fix the mistakes, to give someone what you didit have, to prove your parents wrong. Like my childhood was idyllic and would love to relive it exactly as it was, and I've never had any inclination at all to have kids. I guess it's got to be some kind of genetically implanted compulsion though, otherwise adoption would be way more prevalent, right?

• Locked thread