Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

mariooncrack posted:

Pacific Rim was a podcast on its own before getting added to the empire. One of the episodes is a recording of a conversation with Brody and Fumi from back in the day that's interesting if you're interested in Brody.
People need to listen to this, especially the part about why he decided to be an independent wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

not sure where to put this but it's on f4w so here goes:

Interesting article by Sean Wheelock where he analyzes the Andre vs Chuck Wepner "shoot" match from Shea Stadium in 76 to see if it was a shoot or a work. He says it's going to be a series about other dubious fights and I can't wait for the next one

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 12, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

I've been meaning to listen to the Luger episode.

Trip report: I listened to some of early eps. Justin Roberts and Nick Patrick. I'm not a big fan of the skype-in type of interview due to sound issues, but I can see how logistics would make it hard to actually get people in studio.
Overall it was pretty good. Just some chill talking about WCW mostly.

Apparently it was the first time Nick Patrick told his version of what happened in the build-up to Starrcade 97. He said (without naming names) that one part of the main event came to him asking for a fast count to get heel heat and to have an out and the other part came to him asking him to just do a normal count. The commentators were expecting a fast count and he ended up doing something in the middle which is why it looked so weird.

Oddly enough both Penzer and Patrick were very coy about naming names despite it literally not mattering anymore. Like, Penzer talked about wrestlers who were notorious for being late to the Gorilla position and then wouldn't name one but said that he was famous for a squeegee. Also, Penzer was an eye-witness to that story.

Hopefully the later episodes will better audio quality.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yes, someone came up to him and just happened to suggest a fast count to keep heat. Totally unplanned, not like Bret Hart was scheduled to come out for a critical part of the angle on that.

C'mon man. It's 2018. Just admit you did it for the Hulkster. There's no shame in it.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
While everybody even vaguely aware of Starrcade '97 knows exactly what happened, I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan still pretends that he had nothing to do with it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tato posted:

Yes, someone came up to him and just happened to suggest a fast count to keep heat. Totally unplanned, not like Bret Hart was scheduled to come out for a critical part of the angle on that.

C'mon man. It's 2018. Just admit you did it for the Hulkster. There's no shame in it.

i mean there should be some shame for being the pivotal moment that killed wcw

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean there should be some shame for being the pivotal moment that killed wcw

Nah the finish was bad but Goldberg was still heating up and they were still drawing super well ( they filled the Georgia Dome for Hogan/Goldberg). Its the finger poke of doom that started the down fall

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It probably should have sunk them, but Goldberg gave them a get out of jail free card

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nah the finish was bad but Goldberg was still heating up and they were still drawing super well ( they filled the Georgia Dome for Hogan/Goldberg). Its the finger poke of doom that started the down fall
I agree with Heenan and Tenay. Goldberg's loss was the moment it all went south. Fingerpoke was the week after, though, so you could also be right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It didn't help that the same week (from memory?) they did the fingerpoke, WWF had Mankind win the title.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's that you say, Jerusalem? Mankind winning the title for the first time? Why I just so happen to have a link to that video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Them loving Sting up definitely hurt though. I notice everyone that talks about WCW over looks him but Sting was hugely popular and them mishandling him was a big mistake.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

like there were opportunities to close the watertight doors and right the list that were never taken but hogan pinning sting was the giant red and yellow iceberg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

Trip report: I listened to some of early eps. Justin Roberts and Nick Patrick. I'm not a big fan of the skype-in type of interview due to sound issues, but I can see how logistics would make it hard to actually get people in studio.
Overall it was pretty good. Just some chill talking about WCW mostly.

Apparently it was the first time Nick Patrick told his version of what happened in the build-up to Starrcade 97. He said (without naming names) that one part of the main event came to him asking for a fast count to get heel heat and to have an out and the other part came to him asking him to just do a normal count. The commentators were expecting a fast count and he ended up doing something in the middle which is why it looked so weird.

Oddly enough both Penzer and Patrick were very coy about naming names despite it literally not mattering anymore. Like, Penzer talked about wrestlers who were notorious for being late to the Gorilla position and then wouldn't name one but said that he was famous for a squeegee. Also, Penzer was an eye-witness to that story.

Hopefully the later episodes will better audio quality.

This is the second or third time he's given his first time ever version of the story and it has changed each time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RBX posted:

Them loving Sting up definitely hurt though. I notice everyone that talks about WCW over looks him but Sting was hugely popular and them mishandling him was a big mistake.

I may have my timeline messed up Sting was hugely popular around the time he desperately needed to get his personal poo poo sorted. Sting's body was in the arena but he wasn't.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

This is the second or third time he's given his first time ever version of the story and it has changed each time.

In fairness, the episode is from July 2017 so it might have been the first time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

In fairness, the episode is from July 2017 so it might have been the first time.

It would have to be about 10 years older to be the first time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

It would have to be about 10 years older to be the first time.

Well then Nick Patrick is just a darn liar.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MrBling posted:

Liars...in the wrestling business?

Speaking of liars the recent Bischoff podcast had him discussing his first night in the WWE and he mentions that they gave him a script with a bunch of pages to memorize verbatim a few hours before he went out. This isn't notable because I think it's a lie but more that I forgot how long WWE has been doing these scripted promos for: that was 2002. Bischoff wasn't the worst talker in the world either, he could have done an eight minute promo and not been any worse than most of the guys in that spot.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

coconono posted:

I may have my timeline messed up Sting was hugely popular around the time he desperately needed to get his personal poo poo sorted. Sting's body was in the arena but he wasn't.

You're correct too, his leaves of absence hurt WCW. If he was there all the time like Taker and was actually invested things might've been different.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrBling posted:

Or he forgot. It never ceases to amaze me how somebody contradicting others about something from decades ago is treated as if they're definitely doing it on purpose.

Can you accurately describe every event of a day at work from two decades ago, and also remember if you've ever told anybody about it?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I could probably remember Hulk Hogan telling me to deliberately gently caress up the main event of the biggest PPV in wrestling history despite what my actual boss had told me to do.

Does Patrick still work in wrestling? Is he getting checks from the Hulkster? In some way I love his carny rear end refusal to admit to the most obvious thing in the world. He's a real worker.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Or he forgot. It never ceases to amaze me how somebody contradicting others about something from decades ago is treated as if they're definitely doing it on purpose.

pro wrestlers are immoral, deceitful men

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/EdgeRatedR/status/1062133682557906945

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol at this ontario indies guy on WOL today.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

VJeff posted:

I was so sure it was going to be that weird guy that wants to fight Dave again

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

Gonna need to know more

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna need to know more

He called up and just started talking about how he trained to be a pro-wrestler years ago (in about the most unexciting way possible). Bryan was being polite but abrupt going,"Cool. That's great. You have a question?" and finally just thanked him and hung up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

He called up and just started talking about how he trained to be a pro-wrestler years ago (in about the most unexciting way possible). Bryan was being polite but abrupt going,"Cool. That's great. You have a question?" and finally just thanked him and hung up.

I was hoping it would be something nuts, like claiming he's the one true world heavyweight champion or something. Or someone of Great Antonio levels of crazy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well this is certainly a derail bryan goes on during the nitro review :stare:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:dong:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i haven't even gotten to the Nitro review because Bryan Alvarez is discovering ACAB

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1062625441591156736

exploded mummy posted:

i haven't even gotten to the Nitro review because Bryan Alvarez is discovering ACAB

You could just FEEL Vinny seething when Bryan was going on about how cops can't just arrest you for no reason :imunfunny: He's so far in The Bubble it hurts lol

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Loved Bryan ignoring Craig when going off on nobody remembering the Chyna/Jericho angle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I loving love that Bryan is so much in the bubble that he can google “midnight dong” and get only wrestling results

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i hope bryan's wife doesn't listen to the show and is very confused by amazon's new recommendations for their account

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i hope bryan's wife doesn't listen to the show and is very confused by amazon's new recommendations for their account

I don't think Dave's family does, given that time he totally buried a family vacation he went on. :lol:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VJeff posted:

I don't think Dave's family does, given that time he totally buried a family vacation he went on. :lol:
Dave burying his family is always the best

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Craig getting annoyed because Bryan made fun of him for implying that Al Snow only had one "hole in his game" and then the next section of the Retro Raw was something throwing a tantrum and Bryan and Vinny cracking up was amazing and I hope it is on the Top 100 moments. Had me laughing out loud in the car nearly as much as Dave's "Do I have to spell it out for ya" line last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Ryback is probably one of the very few guys that are dumb enough to get me to unequivocally side with Bryan.