Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

He added later that Vince feels the reason ratings are down is that the shows lack stars, but that most of the guys on the roster are already too damaged to be built back up all the way

Can’t help but laugh

The years-long, overwrought Ciampa/Gargano story getting torpedoed at the last minute because Vince's feelings are hurt that Undertaker is taking outside gigs is amazing and perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
*chumps out anyone not named roman for years*

gently caress why don't i have any stars!?!?!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Roman "Big Daddy" Reigns

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's funny as someone who doesn't watch the regular NXT TV I was like "oh I guess after that last Takeover they decided/Ciampa tricked Gargano in to teaming up." And I swore after the match on Raw I saw Ciampa at one point beckon Gargano into the ring like he was puppet mastering him. So I didn't see it as torpedoing But for all I know they could be completely fighting on the regular TV though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw just so you guys know every time you say Pacific Rim and it's not about giant robots you're killing me a little.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Gargano and Ciampa aren't really fighting any more. Johnny says he doesn't like or trust him but at the slightest encouragement will do the DIY finisher on Black, teamed up with Ciampa for the Halftime Heat match, they've been posing with their belts together. I don't think we'll get to know what the actual payoff to all this was supposed to be anymore, though.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
How much does Dave keep tabs on lucha? I assume he watches major shows but I've never really heard him talk about major lucha news

I know he used to go down to Arena Mexico all the time when the product was really hot

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

How much does Dave keep tabs on lucha? I assume he watches major shows but I've never really heard him talk about major lucha news

I know he used to go down to Arena Mexico all the time when the product was really hot

He watches most of the Friday Arena Mexico shows but only a few AAA shows a year. I don't think he's ever been to Arena Mexico, he used to go to Tijuana with Mike Tenay for shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

"for shows"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i want to party with dave meltzer and mike tenay

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fuckin same

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Replace Tenay with Don West and that'd be the one wrestling dream I have

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I'd be so into a Tijuana road trip with Mike Tenay but my dream leaves Meltzer at home because he'd talk through all the vaporwave

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

beggar posted:

I'd be so into a Tijuana road trip with Mike Tenay but my dream leaves Meltzer at home because he'd talk through all the vaporwave

Only if he narrates everything like he is doing play-by-play with Schiavone.

"Tony! I had a chance to talk with the stripper in front of us and she informed me her name is eXstacy with an X, and that the move she's doing with that horse is illegal in 7 different countries. Back to you."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rick posted:

It's funny as someone who doesn't watch the regular NXT TV I was like "oh I guess after that last Takeover they decided/Ciampa tricked Gargano in to teaming up." And I swore after the match on Raw I saw Ciampa at one point beckon Gargano into the ring like he was puppet mastering him. So I didn't see it as torpedoing But for all I know they could be completely fighting on the regular TV though.

I have no doubt that Ciampa and Gargano are gonna do what they can to maintain the NXT storyline until they get the word things are changing on NXT itself, but they are also at the whim of Vince deciding on a dime he wants them to be long-lost brothers who have been exploring the mysterious Orient for the last ten years next week.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rick posted:

Remember how Jim Cornette would cry big salty tears about how the Bashams were called up, ruining his perfect storyline

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Jerusalem posted:

I have no doubt that Ciampa and Gargano are gonna do what they can to maintain the NXT storyline until they get the word things are changing on NXT itself, but they are also at the whim of Vince deciding on a dime he wants them to be long-lost brothers who have exploring the mysterious Orient for the last ten years next week.

hell yeah time for DIY Chu-Hi

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love how much WOR content we're getting but I can't keep up! I hope I didn't miss any great mailbag inspired stories this morning.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I love how much WOR content we're getting but I can't keep up! I hope I didn't miss any great mailbag inspired stories this morning.

they went in depth on the plant that was on Donahue

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That poo poo was crazy - "go back to the rock you crawled out from under"

Dave said he's absolutely loved doing the WORs like this but it can't continue once he's back to writing properly again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
BREAK HIS THUMBS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Have you seen his biceps? I ain't getting within a mile of him if I'm feeling violent.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Dave said he's absolutely loved doing the WORs like this but it can't continue once he's back to writing properly again.

Would it really be a great loss if he just didn't?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for really in depth editorials biographies and history writeups, plus the in-between the lines style daveisms it really would be.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I have a scan of the Pro Wrestling Spotlight newsletter that has the transcript of John Arezzi's conversation with "Barney." Lemme go dig that up...

Incessant Excess posted:

I've long thought Dave should move towards a model where he's writing as much as he can throughout the week on the pay site and then the newsletter should be that stuff neatly edited together. Less ridiculous deadline crunches etc, for one, and no waiting until late Wednesday night for his reportage on big stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Absolutely it would be. There's a depth to the newsletters that just isn't really possible in audio (without being a 4 hour long info-dump), and he covers such a wide range of pro-wrestling that there is something in there for everybody.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Since these are high res scans I ain't embedding them and mucking up the formatting (wish this board had a thumbnail function...), but if you wanna read the transcript of John Arezzi's conversation with "Barney," I just uploaded it to an Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/oYNEVh2

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

davidbix posted:

Since these are high res scans I ain't embedding them and mucking up the formatting (wish this board had a thumbnail function...),

use timg instead of img in the tag and it'll thumbnail it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

Since these are high res scans I ain't embedding them and mucking up the formatting (wish this board had a thumbnail function...), but if you wanna read the transcript of John Arezzi's conversation with "Barney," I just uploaded it to an Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/oYNEVh2

Thanks for posting these, I appreciate it.

In regards to thumbnails, imgur does have a function where you can pick "generate links" from the drop down menu (it normally says "view info") and it will give you the option to select a linked bbcode and you can set multiple images to different preview sizes. It is how I do all my gifs over in the gifs thread.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VJeff posted:

btw just so you guys know every time you say Pacific Rim and it's not about giant robots you're killing me a little.

One's a good way to spend two hours, the other has Charlie Hunnam

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Big news day on WOR what with Meltzer’s review of various made for TV wrestling movies.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

serendipitous moment on today's WOR with Dave (nxt taping spoilers) forgetting the name of the Forgotten Sons

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Personally, I haven't been impressed with the amount or quality of news coming from Meltzer recently. When he first got injured he said he'd be working his sources more. In the last two weeks, there has been a crazy increase in the amount of speculation, Alvarez style flippant assumptions and then later in the week zero follow up stories coming from the WWE tapings. Haven't seen the dividends of him having more time.

Loved the Donahue retro audios don't get me wrong.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It’s because the vast majority of the newsletter isn’t actually interesting and there’s nothing actually going on.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It’s because the vast majority of the newsletter isn’t actually interesting and there’s nothing actually going on.

There actually is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So why don't you scoop Meltzer, scoopsman?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rovert posted:

There actually is.

...such as?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tricking a kid who was molested by someone in your company into defending your company on national TV and then reneging on promises to said kid is some of the loving lowest poo poo a person could do. But it's Vince McMahon so it's not even top 5.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rov mentioned something big that he can't talk about that he hopes breaks soon (shocking, I know) in the WWE thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Rov mentioned something big that he can't talk about that he hopes breaks soon (shocking, I know) in the WWE thread

So nothing then.