Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
WOL Feed down for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

Bryan actually makes a correct movie reference on F4D :captainpop:

If it was Big Lebowski it doesn't count. That seems to be the only one he knows.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It was way less recent than that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What if Dave was secretly made to be Vince's phylactery?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

What if Dave was secretly made to be Vince's phylactery?

Isn't that how Harry Potter ended?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Some nights I have nightmares about a post meltzer wrestling landscape.
Is it really *that* big a deal anymore? Yeah, he'd leave a big void. But more people are doing good reporting on wrestling than ever before. Dave has certain sourcing and historical context that most don't, but I think we've reached the point where he won't leave as big a void, coverage-wise, as he would have a decade or so ago, during the period after Wade stopped doing week to week reporting, Alvarez did the same/seemingly lost his sources, and others hadn't stepped up yet. And hopefully Dave not reporting on wrestling anymore would mean less in the way of people copying his bad habits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll just miss him because he's a hell of a character and he makes the world a more interesting place by being in it v:shobon:v

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

f4w is the only newz/scoops site i visit/listen to so hell if dave dies it'll suck a lot for me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

davidbix posted:

Is it really *that* big a deal anymore? Yeah, he'd leave a big void. But more people are doing good reporting on wrestling than ever before. Dave has certain sourcing and historical context that most don't, but I think we've reached the point where he won't leave as big a void, coverage-wise, as he would have a decade or so ago, during the period after Wade stopped doing week to week reporting, Alvarez did the same/seemingly lost his sources, and others hadn't stepped up yet. And hopefully Dave not reporting on wrestling anymore would mean less in the way of people copying his bad habits.

I'm terrified of losing any historian as knowledgeable as Dave in any field, especially when he has papers that will not be saved

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Dave is also just an enjoyable podcast personality, I wouldn't wanna miss him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One day somebody will convince Dave to digitize all his papers and put them onto hard drives, which he will then spill all over his floor and walk through every time he moves from his desk.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

One day somebody will convince Dave to digitize all his papers and put them onto hard drives, which he will then spill all over his floor and walk through every time he moves from his desk.

It’ll look like the black hole picture hard drives

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

davidbix posted:

I think it is. Random weekly posts on blogs and scoops on twitter and other things are not a good enough replacement for week-to-week news and long term analysis. People rightfully rip on the F4 website for being weird and old, but I can find Dave Meltzer's writing on wrestling history from 1986 all the way through 2019. The web being what it is, these blogs get re-sold to multiple owners and all the old content purged, most of it not saved by a wayback machine. Tweets can be deleted and are poo poo regardless.

Yeah, other people besides Dave get the scoops now, but few of them actually seem interested in any deeper analysis besides the scoops (you excluded of course) and even more importantly, preserving the journalism they create so that it's available in the future so that things like Between the Sheets can exist.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
There is nobody to replace Dave, there is no-one with his mixture of knowledge, pedigree, gravitas and just plain weirdness to do his job. Someone might have better current contacts but no-one has his track record. He's been doing the job so long, that his star ratings have effectively become the definitive mark for a match, despite the man himself repeatedly saying they are just one mans opinion. Maybe you could Moneyball up a replacement for Dave in aggregate but it wouldn't last. If he worked politics or more respectable sport he'd be a world famous figure. He's one of gods own prototypes.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm terrified of losing any historian as knowledgeable as Dave in any field, especially when he has papers that will not be saved

Dave's scoops are bottom of the list of why I'll be sad.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Meltzer is the Huell Howser of pro wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

I'm not really worried about losing Dave as a journalist but I think it would be a big blow to lose him as a historian. I don't know who else has the historical knowledge he does.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Smoking Crow posted:

Someone's goings to save the papers, I'd think

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rovert and The Fray Movement will battle on meltzer's front lawn for control of his treasures

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Meltzer has at least 20 more years, he's not dying today you weirdos.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Doesn't Meltzer work out every time he's bored with RAW? He'll be alive forever.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Gonzo McFee posted:

Doesn't Meltzer work out every time he's bored with RAW? He'll be alive forever.

He hurt his finger and has been limited in his workouts since, thus we’re all concerned.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I do agree with the sentiment that not having a collected "go to" collection of reportage will probably hurt, even if it's never the full story.

Smoking Crow posted:

According to Dave, his wife accidentally threw out a bunch of his primary source material while cleaning his office several years ago, which is why he hasn't posted the Silverdome ticket settlement, Bret WCW '96 contract offer, and/or any other debate-settlers. Really. I'm not kidding.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

I do agree with the sentiment that not having a collected "go to" collection of reportage will probably hurt, even if it's never the full story.

According to Dave, his wife accidentally threw out a bunch of his primary source material while cleaning his office several years ago, which is why he hasn't posted the Silverdome ticket settlement, Bret WCW '96 contract offer, and/or any other debate-settlers. Really. I'm not kidding.

wives are the worst always "cleaning" the mancave and whatnot

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Women, am I right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the floor is not a filing system dave

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

davidbix posted:

this is upsetting me more than i think it should.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
lol Dave owns

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the floor is not a filing system dave

that's why he has the shed

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It’s the big one; it’s the Sidewalk Slam for Wrestlemania for 2019!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

davidbix posted:

Was this before or after she hung the Beatles poster on his wall

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

this is upsetting me more than i think it should.
Oh, I was SO frustrated when I told me that. And not even just over the proprietary stuff, but court records and the like that have since been destroyed.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Speaking of Meltzer, I wanted to read his newsletter from the week of the Benoit tragedy but there are no WONs on his site from 2017 at all (aside from the Figure 4 Dailies.) Did Dave just not publish the Observer in 2007?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Speaking of Meltzer, I wanted to read his newsletter from the week of the Benoit tragedy but there are no WONs on his site from 2017 at all (aside from the Figure 4 Dailies.) Did Dave just not publish the Observer in 2007?

They put old issues up weekly and are up to 2002. So there's no pre 1991 (barring a few issues) and no April 2002-June 2008 issues on the site.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

They put old issues up weekly and are up to 2002. So there's no pre 1991 (barring a few issues) and no April 2002-June 2008 issues on the site.

Oh ok thank you sir I like your hair and your podcast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Oh ok thank you sir I like your hair and your podcast

You are welcome and have good taste.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're interested in Montreal, Jim goes over it on the experience this week. He allegedly tells a story he's never told before about it too. He may have Dave on next week to talk more.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

You are welcome and have good taste.

Another question: if they’re up to 2002 for old issues, how come there’s nothing pre-1991?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the real reason is that they are saving it for when the newer stuff is caught up to the present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
does anyone have any experience getting physical copies of the observer from dave? I love reading the newsletter every week and it'd be neat to have physical copies