Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I don't as I'm under 70 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fart blood posted:

Another question: if they’re up to 2002 for old issues, how come there’s nothing pre-1991?

The older ones were physical only or in file formats no longer supported.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

does anyone have any experience getting physical copies of the observer from dave? I love reading the newsletter every week and it'd be neat to have physical copies

I haven't had a physical sub in years but if the format hasn't changed any it's unbound double sided 8.5" x 11"-ish paper with teeny tiny text divided into two columns and it's like 12-30 pages a week.

Think it usually took 4ish days for my copy to make it across the country.

It was way, way, way more expensive than the online sub. I don't know if that's still the case.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Rovert and The Fray Movement will battle on meltzer's front lawn for control of his treasures

I like Meltzer. Just his sources have dwindled over the last 15 years or so.

Still the best and most trustworthy in the long run.

Twitter is the worst thing to happen to him preception and time sink wise.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

fart blood posted:

Another question: if they’re up to 2002 for old issues, how come there’s nothing pre-1991?
1991 is when he fully transitioned from a typewriter to a PC running WordPerfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mariooncrack posted:

If you're interested in Montreal, Jim goes over it on the experience this week. He allegedly tells a story he's never told before about it too. He may have Dave on next week to talk more.

Dave telling that story on the latest WOR and the bit about Cornette realizing the Hebner Brothers were doing the same thing as him at the exact same moment cracked me up :)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Jerusalem posted:

Dave telling that story on the latest WOR and the bit about Cornette realizing the Hebner Brothers were doing the same thing as him at the exact same moment cracked me up :)

When Jericho had Dave on his podcast in January 2018 to talk about the podcast there is a bit where he is talking about the arguments about how to take the belt off Bret. One idea mooted was for Shane to shoot on Bret and get it that way and Dave mentioned one person got annoyed and told them it'd end up with their new champion getting beat up and losing all credibility. He named no names but my brain inserted Cornette anyway.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
In retrospect it's all so funny given that Shawn would be retired for a while due to injury just 4 months later. Also he didn't seem to have that much credibility anyway, no matter how many big men he beat.

Re-watching 96 WWF on the network has left me very, very unimpressed with Shawn's babyface champ run. No amount of sticking him with Jose Lothario is going to make me think this guy is a babyface and not a piece of poo poo. The D/X Turn was definitely necessary, as Shawn Michaels just wasn't a good person at that time and couldn't pull off being a babyface. Might as well turn into being what he was, an annoying egotistical jerk who frequently broke the rules and never got punished.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

In retrospect it’s really stupid that they didn’t all agree for Bret to stay at WWF until Mania, drip the belt to Austin, and then leave

E: I guess Tyson never happens then. Maybe it’s just as well it happened like it did idk

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HidaO-Win posted:

When Jericho had Dave on his podcast in January 2018 to talk about the podcast there is a bit where he is talking about the arguments about how to take the belt off Bret. One idea mooted was for Shane to shoot on Bret and get it that way and Dave mentioned one person got annoyed and told them it'd end up with their new champion getting beat up and losing all credibility. He named no names but my brain inserted Cornette anyway.

I love the little detail that before the screwjob, Gerald Brisco was trying to give Shawn a crash course in self defense so that if Bret attacked him in the ring he might get out of there without getting wrecked

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jerusalem posted:

Cornette was easily the best part of the documentary. Despite whatever you feel about his personal politics, or feelings about the modern state of wrestling, the man is one of the most entertaining characters prowrestling has ever produced. I don't think I've ever heard him speak where he wasn't "on". Even Heenan who had a tremendous wit and captivated the room, doesn't hold a candle to the way Cornette can tell a story. His commentary could make you want to rewatch a funeral, and no I didn't steal this line from him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had Cornette on in the background last night and it was a great time until I made the mistake of opening a video that has him talking about Omega and Joey Ryan and then it wasn't so much fun anymore. :v:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The AEPodcast started Season 4 a little while ago and this season is theme starting at Mania 13 to Mania 14 to cover the genesis of the Attitude Era. They've already done Mania 13 and the 1997 Slammys and the next episode is Revenge of the Taker IYH.

I don't know if it's because their Patreon is doing really well or something but they are even funnier this season so far.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

VJeff posted:

I had Cornette on in the background last night and it was a great time until I made the mistake of opening a video that has him talking about Omega and Joey Ryan and then it wasn't so much fun anymore. :v:

While Cornette's "old man yells at cloud" makes me roll me eyes, I think that's part of his charm in a weird way.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The thing about cornette too is his criticisms are usually pretty on the nose and he really does have a lot of great ideas about wrestling, it's just sometimes he works a little too hard and doesn't know how to read the room or turn it down a little.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

And sometimes he gets so riled up with people he physically assaults them or their property with fists, bats, and cars. Over very big time things like handshakes and 100 bucks. Other than that he rules.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

rovert posted:

I like Meltzer. Just his sources have dwindled over the last 15 years or so.

Still the best and most trustworthy in the long run.

Every other current wrestling journalist is co-opted by WWE or brother-brother stardust bullshit except maybe Sapp but that could just be my own ignorance of his post-JJ sources

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked it when Cornette threatened Russo and made him leave Indiana. That was good.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Viceland Screwjob doc ending with Cornette and Russo clips talking poo poo about each other back and forth, culminated by Cornette saying he's going to outlive Russo just so he can piss on his grave was absolutely hilarious.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dango Bango posted:

The Viceland Screwjob doc ending with Cornette and Russo clips talking poo poo about each other back and forth, culminated by Cornette saying he's going to outlive Russo just so he can piss on his grave was absolutely hilarious.

He's been cutting that promo for years but if you enjoyed it I suggest you listen to this ten minute one that ends with *mic drop*...[off mic] "gently caress"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dango Bango posted:

That's why he started drinking diet sprite

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
And now Earl Hebner was on some podcast saying he thinks Bret was in on it.

I'm so tired of old people in the business always trying to work people and I'm so tired of this story.

People are idiots.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Carny motherfuckers always going to try and make a buck. I'm more upset with Vice for even including that stuff, way to obliterate any credibility in your documentaries.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

fart blood posted:

I'm so tired of old people in the business always trying to work people and I'm so tired of this story.

People are idiots.

Yeah, I've eaten up everything I can find on the Screw Job over the last few years, but I think I'm good now. It was interesting hearing everyone's angles and takes on it, but it's time to put it to rest.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheLapsedFan/status/1118481497026170880 https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/960510652631715840

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
An important part of the Montreal story is that a lot of idiots out there still think it's a work. They chose to illustrate that fact through Scott Hall. It's immediately refuted so I didn't have a problem with it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At this point, does it really matter?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
today's F4D with Lance is a good listen

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Low Desert Punk posted:

I’ll second this.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cornette's show where he covers the Vice show in depth is up on YouTube. It doesn't have anything new to add other, but he does mention that he was calling Dave a bunch in the days following the screw job to find out if it leaked out he was the mastermind and if anyone was coming after him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yeah it was good, though I disagree with his take about not wanting to see that the wrestlers are normal people. He makes a good point about larger than life characters being incredibly compelling, but I think it's a bit of an old school mentality and a lot of people actually prefer knowing that the people they see on television/on shows are just regular, ordinary people. It humanizes them and makes it easier to get behind them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was good, though I disagree with his take about not wanting to see that the wrestlers are normal people. He makes a good point about larger than life characters being incredibly compelling, but I think it's a bit of an old school mentality and a lot of people actually prefer knowing that the people they see on television/on shows are just regular, ordinary people. It humanizes them and makes it easier to get behind them.

I mean the problem is that people think there's a science to it. You can never really guess who's going to get over and why. You can approximate what might work but it's never a guarantee. Sometimes people just connect with people

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I mean, how often do you see Brad Pitt or Halle Berry shitposting on twitter either, people are allowed to be themselves on social media but you've got to dial it back a little sometimes, some a LOT more than others

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think wrestling is kind of at odds with mainstream though. your biggest celebrities today, your lebrons, beyonce, chris hemsworths, etc, they're human/accessible in a way that they werent generations ago through social media and just sheer amounts of content and platforms to gain exposure/show part of their real selves that just wasnt visible before the late 1990s. just the same, while it means there should in theory be more room to be mysterious by abstaining from these platforms to keep an aura about you that would benefit a product like pro wrestling, the glut of wrestlers and other athletes on social media just means if you're not on it, you're out of sight out of mind, or probably hiding some skeletons (see lars). when dean or even undertaker were off social media for as long as they could be, they weren't seen as mysterious, they were just off the grid and out of the public eye while we were here reposting danielson's latest goofy pic of him and asparagus (rip)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RealFoxy posted:

I mean, how often do you see Brad Pitt or Halle Berry shitposting on twitter either, people are allowed to be themselves on social media but you've got to dial it back a little sometimes, some a LOT more than others

maybe if you're going to talk about celebrities on social media, you not use people in their 50s as an example?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

celebrities under 40 are just weird little gadgets more than real celebs. tell me the difference between caleb landry jones or Zendaya and the fidgetting Spinner

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wrestling can be tough enough to suspend disbelief for without seeing folks supposedly in the middle of a blood feud shooting the poo poo over a game of Windjammers

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lone Goat posted:

maybe if you're going to talk about celebrities on social media, you not use people in their 50s as an example?
Hulk Hogan

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RealFoxy posted:

Hulk Hogan

hogan is in his 60s, nice try but i've covered all the angles :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The ideal wrestling social media presence is Cena's instagram