Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

The ideal wrestling social media presence is Cena's instagram

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

wrestling can be tough enough to suspend disbelief for without seeing folks supposedly in the middle of a blood feud shooting the poo poo over a game of Windjammers

But even that can be worked. Like they're just chillin and talkin friendly poo poo and one of them goes "oh by the way this saturday at the pepsi colliseum, I'm gonna fuckin kill yah" It'd be believable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I believe in pro wrestling logic, anything you do to an opponent in an arena is nice and legal. But outside, like Steve Austin breaking into Pillman's house, is bad and wrong. If they're playing videogames somewhere you can't just attack them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
After listening to the Bryan and Lance show, I need to hear a Bryan review of the Lord of the Rings movies.

"Lemme talk about this here dwarf, what's his name? GIM-LEE? This poor guy. They book him in a contest with the elf to see who can kill the most orcs then they just. loving. bury him."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan excitedly telling Lance that Frodo only TEASED a heel turn was loving amazing.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dave talking roller derby always owns

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What's everyone's favorite example of wrestling terms being used in other contexts or outside of the wrestling bubble?

Mine still has to be someone describing something as their 'shoot job' or when Scott Hall calls anything non wrestling related 'a gimmick'

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What's everyone's favorite example of wrestling terms being used in other contexts or outside of the wrestling bubble?

Mine still has to be someone describing something as their 'shoot job' or when Scott Hall calls anything non wrestling related 'a gimmick'

Worked handoff.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Shoot job, shoot name, shoot height.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Calling pills "gimmicks."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Calling anything a gimmick.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I call things gimmicks all the time

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GoutPatrol posted:

I believe in pro wrestling logic, anything you do to an opponent in an arena is nice and legal. But outside, like Steve Austin breaking into Pillman's house, is bad and wrong. If they're playing videogames somewhere you can't just attack them.

Also you know how hard it is to find online gaming types that won't immediately break down into slurs and hatespeech? Sometimes you gotta make do.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My wife calls annoying men that hit on her “jobbers.”

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Suplex Liberace posted:

Calling anything a gimmick.
I love when an old wrestler (or the Talkin' Shop people when really drunk) approach Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo levels of using gimmick.

"So his whole gimmick was to sell gimmicked gimmicks at the gimmick table, but he'd taken some gimmicks backstage so he pulled out his shoot gimmick when he was supposed to have gimmicked it to be a gimmick gimmick."

Also when Bryan (or anyone) talks about sports using wrestling lingo, there was some huge heat on the ref in the third quarter when the Warriors were down but the crowd popped huge when the Cavaliers put them over.

Or Bryan's belief that all public speeches are 'promos'.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 21, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Edge & Christian posted:

they are though

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Worked handoff

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lone Goat posted:

they are though
I get it when he's talking about a political stump speech or something but Bryan uses it like "so there was a car accident and they had this local woman on the news who cut a promo about how the guy plowed his car into a telephone pole." or "So the guy behind the counter cuts a promo about how they stop serving breakfast at 11am"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hey maybe the clerk launched into how you people don’t deserve breakfast after 11am

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dave once made reference to "the finish" of the 2000 pres election

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

My wife calls annoying men that hit on her “jobbers.”

lol that's a pretty good one

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
'Face turn' & 'Heel Turn' are terms I use all the time talking about TV shows and movies.

I don't use finish but I will talk about how they "blew off an angle" if there's a plot thread that gets dropped without a good resolution. For example, I hate how they blew off the Martell angle in Game of Thrones.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The only wrestling terms I use outside of wrestling circles are shoot and work

I use "he is a shoot rear end in a top hat" or something to that effect pretty regularly

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I use those as well, like "I'm not looking forward to going back to work on Monday, feel about ready to shoot myself"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

PaybackJack posted:

'Face turn' & 'Heel Turn' are terms I use all the time talking about TV shows and movies.

I don't use finish but I will talk about how they "blew off an angle" if there's a plot thread that gets dropped without a good resolution. For example, I hate how they blew off the Martell angle in Game of Thrones.

Pfff, the Dornish are a bunch of prelim geeks who never drew a dime, who'd they ever beat :colbert:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Lapsed Fan’s Wrestlemania recaps with Meltzer are excellent listens. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-TY3zgtW3AsUCiLPCthjKzXmuCJHmqSZ

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Benne posted:

Pfff, the Dornish are a bunch of prelim geeks who never drew a dime, who'd they ever beat :colbert:

Sadly, it's true. The sand snakes had x-pac heat by that point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

The other six kingdoms repeatedly :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We had this recorded a few weeks ago and I never had a chance to edit it.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1120103188777132032

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
mark is an infinitely useful and applicable term in any field

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

jesus WEP posted:

dave once made reference to "the finish" of the 2000 pres election

Apt

Edge & Christian posted:

I love when an old wrestler (or the Talkin' Shop people when really drunk) approach Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo levels of using gimmick.

"So his whole gimmick was to sell gimmicked gimmicks at the gimmick table, but he'd taken some gimmicks backstage so he pulled out his shoot gimmick when he was supposed to have gimmicked it to be a gimmick gimmick."

Also when Bryan (or anyone) talks about sports using wrestling lingo, there was some huge heat on the ref in the third quarter when the Warriors were down but the crowd popped huge when the Cavaliers put them over.

Bryan and Vinny reviewing other things like it was wrestling was always fun. Battlefield Earth, Mickey Mouse Club House, the potpourri should be more of a grab bag sometimes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Mickey Mouse Club recap was loving incredible.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Prazak's back!

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1120211089487273985

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I enjoy having to explain "worked yourself into a shoot" hulk hogan tweet before.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was good, though I disagree with his take about not wanting to see that the wrestlers are normal people. He makes a good point about larger than life characters being incredibly compelling, but I think it's a bit of an old school mentality and a lot of people actually prefer knowing that the people they see on television/on shows are just regular, ordinary people. It humanizes them and makes it easier to get behind them.

Good to have listened. Generally there's a middle ground- some characters and persons do really well out of being humanised, while others just appear as he said, just chumps who aren't very good at their job and happy to be there.

The 'brand is king' thing combined with 'management is evil' make WWE a very weird watch sometimes. As they pointed out, because the draft isn't a story, it's too much like reality, the McMahons arbitrarily changed people around for their own enjoyment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's bizarre, because they resist terms and concepts like tournaments and drafts because they don't want to be sports (although that's the only reason they're as profitable as they are, because everyone else sees them as that) but in doing so they're also avoiding what actual scripted TV would do. No competition between brands for the draft meant there were basically no stakes, and without stakes, why should we care? People are invested in Game Of Thrones because it's been set up that the characters we like can die, they can lose, and it matters when they do, so we want to see certain ones succeed and others fail. WWE doesn't want wins and losses to matter because then they have to actually worry about week-to-week continuity but that means no-one gives a gently caress if anyone wins a specific match outside of very rare cases like Kofi/Bryan.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

It's bizarre, because they resist terms and concepts like tournaments and drafts because they don't want to be sports (although that's the only reason they're as profitable as they are, because everyone else sees them as that) but in doing so they're also avoiding what actual scripted TV would do. No competition between brands for the draft meant there were basically no stakes, and without stakes, why should we care? People are invested in Game Of Thrones because it's been set up that the characters we like can die, they can lose, and it matters when they do, so we want to see certain ones succeed and others fail. WWE doesn't want wins and losses to matter because then they have to actually worry about week-to-week continuity but that means no-one gives a gently caress if anyone wins a specific match outside of very rare cases like Kofi/Bryan.

It's continually amazing how badly written the shows are. Lance and Bryan shouldn't be stating as an obvious fact that there's no long term plans and they do things arbitrarily. Why is it bad? Because it's all bad and written in a clusterfuck.

This shouldn't be your reviewers consensus on your show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This Hogan worked shoot promo on retro nitro sounded loving great

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

what did meltzer have to say about bray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what did meltzer have to say about bray

Him and Alvarez think it'll either end up being really good or WWE would pull a Bray Booking and gently caress it up completely, there's no in-between and they don't really have the benefit of the doubt that the latter isn't the option that's most expected