Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lone Goat posted:

Alvarez has a psycho ex-girlfriend that they only ever referred to as HER but she doesn't come up anymore since he's gotten married.
I've heard them mention HER, I was more surprised by Big Dave intimating he also had a She Who Shall Not Be Named that was hanging with him and the Horsemen in the early 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bryan dated Nancy Benoit?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Edge & Christian posted:

I've heard them mention HER, I was more surprised by Big Dave intimating he also had a She Who Shall Not Be Named that was hanging with him and the Horsemen in the early 1990s.

Banana woman

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ICHIBAHN posted:

Lapsed Fan is literally all you need. 8 hour shows aren't long enough

The host's voice is grating

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Edge & Christian posted:

is this the story where Dave mashed a banana into a girl's hair?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CVagts posted:

The Lapsed Fan's stuff always turned me off because they're all like 4-5 hours long. Are they worth the listen?

The Lapsed Fan might be the podcast I've unsubscribed and re-subscribed to the most. Their deep dives cover so much interesting poo poo, but they think they're the funniest people on the planet and it gets to a point where I just can't take it anymore. I end up like Homer Simpson watching Garrison Keillor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkq7yylRkU

I haven't listened in a long time, so I think I'm ready for the World Class series. I'm sure after I'm done with it, I'll unsubscribe for another year.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

The Lapsed Fan might be the podcast I've unsubscribed and re-subscribed to the most. Their deep dives cover so much interesting poo poo, but they think they're the funniest people on the planet and it gets to a point where I just can't take it anymore. I end up like Homer Simpson watching Garrison Keillor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkq7yylRkU

Exactly the same for me. They've also had some really off putting stuff regarding women that was a big turn off for me. I forget which episode it was but Jack was going on and on and on about Lita on that whole ugly love triangle with Matt and Edge, and you could hear him shaking with indignant outrage over just how much of a huge bitch she was and it's like, slow down there hotrod.

I do like JP's Vince impression, though. Everyone has one, but I think I like his the best

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

The Lapsed Fan might be the podcast I've unsubscribed and re-subscribed to the most. Their deep dives cover so much interesting poo poo, but they think they're the funniest people on the planet and it gets to a point where I just can't take it anymore. I end up like Homer Simpson watching Garrison Keillor

I haven't listened in a long time, so I think I'm ready for the World Class series. I'm sure after I'm done with it, I'll unsubscribe for another year.

it might be the only time where i've actually wanted the people involved in a show to turn it into a dry historical account rather than attempting to liven things up by telling jokes.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Big Bidness posted:

Careful, if they read this they’ll go on yet another 20 minute rant about how they don’t care what people think of them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Low Desert Punk posted:

is this the story where Dave mashed a banana into a girl's hair?

Dave has said that he is still friends with the Banana Smashee, so it may be a different woman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

Dave has said that he is still friends with the Banana Smashee, so it may be a different woman.

It is, the banana story happened a couple of years later.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Starrcast II Bring us the Many Loves of Davey Meltzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi9OZrhx94

Bonus if the opening is just five minutes of Bryan Alvarez calling everyone geeks for thinking you could trick him into thinking Gilligan is a beatnik, this doesn't make sense in canon

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
jesus christ bryan is insufferable during this ratings discussion

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

jesus christ bryan is insufferable during this ratings discussion

That was the first time in awhile that I wanted to yell at him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave was the insufferable one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

dave was the insufferable one

Bryan was 100% wrong, didn't seem to understand what type of drops Dave was talking about and had nothing to back up what he was saying. He was totally insufferable.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Bryan's literally the only person who remembers Smackdown lost every match at the last Survivor Series

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

OctoberCountry posted:

Bryan's literally the only person who remembers Smackdown lost every match at the last Survivor Series

Yes, but I agree with him on that it was the first time it was clear that WWE was getting even more haphazard and careless with their booking than usual. All that said, Bryan was being obnoxious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i feel like there was a 2 week span around thanksgiving that wwe clearly gave up on booking a show until after the holidays which killed my interest in watching smackdown weekly

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I can take or leave Bryan (I generally prefer when Garrett co-hosts), but for some reason the distaste with which he always says “Baron Corbin” is grating and hilarious at the same time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dave on the Cornette show was pretty good. There's a couple times that Cornette gets steamed up over Russo or Trump and Dave totally no sells it. Then finally at the end talking about who deserves to get pushed Dave gets all fired up and starts dropping F-bombs. It's great.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PaybackJack posted:

Dave on the Cornette show was pretty good. There's a couple times that Cornette gets steamed up over Russo or Trump and Dave totally no sells it. Then finally at the end talking about who deserves to get pushed Dave gets all fired up and starts dropping F-bombs. It's great.

did they say anything about the quad amputee or whatever that drama was for a hot five minutes?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

coconono posted:

did they say anything about the quad amputee or whatever that drama was for a hot five minutes?

I think that might have been something they discussed at the beginning of the show before the Dave segment. I didn't care to listen to twenty minutes of them shilling all the other content and caught just enough of Cornette talking about how "Youtube was being good them again" that my eyes rolled back in my head like the Undertaker before I did a literal sit up to skip ahead on the track.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

PaybackJack posted:

I think that might have been something they discussed at the beginning of the show before the Dave segment. I didn't care to listen to twenty minutes of them shilling all the other content and caught just enough of Cornette talking about how "Youtube was being good them again" that my eyes rolled back in my head like the Undertaker before I did a literal sit up to skip ahead on the track.
Yes, they discussed that before Dave came on.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

PaybackJack posted:

I didn't care to listen to twenty minutes of them shilling all the other content

What kind of person skips the weekly Stephen P. New promo? Who else is gonna help the crack-addicted babies of West Virginia? :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

dsriggs posted:

What kind of person skips the weekly Stephen P. New promo? Who else is gonna help the crack-addicted babies of West Virginia? :colbert:
Why the hell is this an ad on a podcast this dude's office is literally down the road from me

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

RealFoxy posted:

Why the hell is this an ad on a podcast this dude's office is literally down the road from me

He's a wrestling fan from the old territory days. He showed Jim where a case against Jim and The Midnight Express was in a West Virginia law textbook or something, and they became buds.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BasicFunk posted:

He's a wrestling fan from the old territory days. He showed Jim where a case against Jim and The Midnight Express was in a West Virginia law textbook or something, and they became buds.
He airs ads on local radio about supporting Marshall Football and he's been around since as long as I can remember. I looked at his twitter account and it's all Game of Thrones, Wrestling, and Marijuana advocacy. I've worked with this dude before, I thought he was just a normal average rear end lawyer.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Garrett and dave's show for today is free

https://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-radio/free-wor-wwe-financials-interviews-jon-fitch-ilima-lei-macfarlane-282406

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lance Storm : Complains about fans hating that Charlotte is getting another title match against Becky because "she's the best worker" and nobody is entitled to their spot. Then in the very next segment complains about how Roman Reigns feels like the same old poo poo and like his gimmick is being shoved down our throats.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will partially defend him in that he made the case that Becky has to work two matches at the PPV and it being a good idea that one of them is Charlotte so there isn't as much pressure on Becky to carry both and she can concentrate on making the Lacey match work.

That doesn't in any way speak to what is my actual issue with Charlotte beating Bayley, which was that they shouldn't have put Bayley into a story where her opponent makes fun of her and claims she isn't deserving of a title shot, then immediately have Bayley lose her match for a title shot to that same person.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i kinda hate listening to lance because he's so hyper focused on the wrestling he misses the entertainment aspect

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I will partially defend him in that he made the case that Becky has to work two matches at the PPV and it being a good idea that one of them is Charlotte so there isn't as much pressure on Becky to carry both and she can concentrate on making the Lacey match work.

That doesn't in any way speak to what is my actual issue with Charlotte beating Bayley, which was that they shouldn't have put Bayley into a story where her opponent makes fun of her and claims she isn't deserving of a title shot, then immediately have Bayley lose her match for a title shot to that same person.

You also know that they didn't think that far ahead. Hell, even if they did they probably got as far as "OK, Bayley wrestles Charlotte... well, Charlotte can't lose, so she's gotta go over right?" and no one questioned if maybe they could've put Mandy or Tamina or someone else in that spot then.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DangerDummy! posted:

I do like JP's Vince impression, though. Everyone has one, but I think I like his the best

This has become a reason that I've stopped listening to a several wrestling podcasts: I genuinely don't need to hear another Vince impression ever again. One in particular (Place to Be Nation) went so far as to turn them into 15+ minute skits that went on (and on) like terrible fanfics.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i kinda hate listening to lance because he's so hyper focused on the wrestling he misses the entertainment aspect

Are we listening to the same Lance? He doesn't like the over the top aspects because they're so often bad, but just wants compelling plots told well.

The heel insulting a major face then winning clean just reduces Bayley without building Charlotte.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

This has become a reason that I've stopped listening to a several wrestling podcasts: I genuinely don't need to hear another Vince impression ever again. One in particular (Place to Be Nation) went so far as to turn them into 15+ minute skits that went on (and on) like terrible fanfics.

JP has a real handle on what makes him so weird and awful, but everyone else seems to be doing an of an impression, which always sucks. Like when Dana Carvey did George Bush, and that became everyone's default impression of him.

Matt McCarthy from We Watch Wrestling gets a pass just because he spent time actually working for the man.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i dont like text impressions of vince that have been plentiful here at times, and would greatly not like it in my ears. Sorry about posting negatively for a change, but i will keep it as rare as a hare on a mare.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan was 100% wrong, didn't seem to understand what type of drops Dave was talking about and had nothing to back up what he was saying. He was totally insufferable.

Even knowing that was coming didn't make it easier to listen to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cavauro posted:

i dont like text impressions of vince that have been plentiful here at times, and would greatly not like it in my ears. Sorry about posting negatively for a change, but i will keep it as rare as a hare on a mare.

the guy's bad enough as it is, I don't need thirsty fan fiction astroturfing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Amazing bit of audio on the show today in a completely unintended way.

I paused the player when Bryan and Garrett traded places and during the switch something fell in a hard to reach place or they had to change some wires or something I don't know, but when I resumed playback a few hours later the first thing I hear is:

Dave: "Ok, who wants to get down there?"
Garrett: "Alright, I'll try."
<grunts>
Bryan in the background: "It's harder than it looks."

I almost died laughing.