Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Post Wrestling special is really good although the first 20 minutes dealing with the day Owen died are a lot stronger than the rest which tries to summarize the day after and subsequent events. It was really devastating to hear from the guy Owen spent the day with that Owen only went to the building when Vince threatened to fire him if he didn't do the stunt,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The Post Wrestling special is really good although the first 20 minutes dealing with the day Owen died are a lot stronger than the rest which tries to summarize the day after and subsequent events. It was really devastating to hear from the guy Owen spent the day with that Owen only went to the building when Vince threatened to fire him if he didn't do the stunt,

I've avoided both shows, because as a kid I loved Owen (youngest brother reppin'), and I have a feeling I'll just end up angry and sad.

Kinda like that convo I had with you about Derek Boogaard and the book about him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1131437510431633408

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Really interesting interview of Dasha. Really good to see that she's not bitter about her experience and I hope she gets to wrestle somewhere.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Having not watched the video I can conclusively say that, as with all people in wrestling, she's too good for wrestling.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lmao did she really get fired for saying that roman accepted drew macintyre's match with him at mania instead of saying challenge

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao did she really get fired for saying that roman accepted drew macintyre's match with him at mania instead of saying challenge

Strowman got screamed at for saying title shot instead of championship opportunity and he's a main eventer, they would absolutely fire Dasha for messing up their stupid vernacular.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
WWE's insistence that this group of rampaging musclemen who fight every night for their money all adhere to strict marketing language that everyone hates is so good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've avoided both shows, because as a kid I loved Owen (youngest brother reppin'), and I have a feeling I'll just end up angry and sad.

I'll say both that it's tremendously sad and angering but also something you (and everyone) should listen to if you can handle it. It's one of the best podcasts I've heard in a while and really underscores how loving great Pollock is at every aspect of what he does.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, Austin's getting a talk show on USA.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/straight-steve-austin-coming-usa-network-summer-284481

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That’s the most up and down list of guests ever

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know nothing about Austin's podcast persona but I'll be genuinely surprised if the whole show isn't just people like the Undertaker and Toby Keith hanging with him to promote Blue Lives Matter and gun rights and concussions in football and "the good old days when you were allowed to offend the snowflakes" or something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I know nothing about Austin's podcast persona but I'll be genuinely surprised if the whole show isn't just people like the Undertaker and Toby Keith hanging with him to promote Blue Lives Matter and gun rights and concussions in football and "the good old days when you were allowed to offend the snowflakes" or something.
Austin is surprisingly liberal in his views for an old rich white dude. Not like, to a Nash degree, but no. He's not your Blue Lives Matter type.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Austin is a old white rich dude from Texas, but he's also spent enough time in LA to temper some of the worst of it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He hasn't done a podcast in months and I'm glad to see this is why.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Can only speak about one of the guests I see in that link that I know of: Dale Earnhardt Jr

Since 2001 Dale's been a vocal opponent of people displaying the Confederate flag at events, and since Charleston in 2015 (the Dylann Roof incident) he's blatantly called it out as a modern symbol of hate that belongs in the history books
Dale was one of the first racers to publicly express enthusiasm about Obama's election, and he wished he'd been able to attend the inauguration for the moment
He spoke out against the Charlottesville rally
He defended anthem protesters and he's defended immigrants throughout this current administration

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

Can only speak about one of the guests I see in that link that I know of: Dale Earnhardt Jr

Since 2001 Dale's been a vocal opponent of people displaying the Confederate flag at events, and since Charleston in 2015 (the Dylann Roof incident) he's blatantly called it out as a modern symbol of hate that belongs in the history books
Dale was one of the first racers to publicly express enthusiasm about Obama's election, and he wished he'd been able to attend the inauguration for the moment
He defended anthem protesters and he's defended immigrants throughout this current administration

what you're saying is that Junior doesnt need to turn left

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I didn't listen to all of Austin's podcasts but probably the most emblematic thing I can remember about its tone is that early on he had a couple of other guys in studio to bounce off of and there was some bit he was doing about going into a drug store to buy body wash or deodorant or something and the peanut gallery kept trying to turn it into a gay panic joke and Austin's whole thing is "I haven't gone shopping for myself in forever and there's like a million different options now and as a tough manly man I gotta say that lemon verbena is a delightful scent!"

I can't remember if it was before or after that bit where he was talking about going with his wife to get a mani-pedi and facial and how he couldn't get over how nice his hands looked afterwards, then talked about how much gunk/whiteheads they got out of his face as "at least an eightball's wort--- I mean, it must have been three or four grams worth of gunk"

Anyway for all of the macho stuff he is very much willing to make fun of himself, he's got reasonably sane positions on climate change and gun control, he was vocally in support of gay marriage on his podcast, and did a whole interview with X-Pac about how valuable therapy is and how there's no shame in crying it out sometimes and how brave Waltman was to come forward with his story about being sexually abused.

Hopefully it's that version of Austin that comes through on the talk show. I also think that out of all of the wrestlers with podcasts he feels like one of the few that takes the whole "interviewing people" thing seriously, doesn't try to talk about himself, does research, tries to ask open ended (and follow up!) questions, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He honestly seems like a nice caring person so even in spots where he's not the most progressive dude he's still coming from a place of caring.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Gumball Gumption posted:

He honestly seems like a nice caring person so even in spots where he's not the most progressive dude he's still coming from a place of caring.

When he beat his wife, was it coming from a place of caring? Or is that one of the areas where he's not the most progressive?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the latter imo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean the latter obviously.

Also I legit forgot the nice dude he seems to be now is the same dude who beat his wife and had never publicly apologized for it which is pretty hosed up. People are complicated and he seems to be a better person these days but I do think he never really has owned the terrible things he did do.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I'll absolutely watch the one with Jr, hell yeah

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Please refer to spousal abuse as Steve does "running hard down the road".

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Dale Jr’s new book is the most open and honest account of an athlete’s experiences with concussions ever. I highly recommend it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean the latter obviously.

Also I legit forgot the nice dude he seems to be now is the same dude who beat his wife and had never publicly apologized for it which is pretty hosed up. People are complicated and he seems to be a better person these days but I do think he never really has owned the terrible things he did do.

I was under the impression he had made a public statement about it way back when the podcast first started?

(Not that it magically makes it okay)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Not that I know of or could find but that doesn't mean he didn't.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dale Jr’s new book is the most open and honest account of an athlete’s experiences with concussions ever. I highly recommend it.

Wait, racers get concussions?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

G-force, plus impact on barriers or other cars/crashes, I'd imagine. It's why they wear helmets.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

what do you think happens when you get in a car crash

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

what do you think happens when you get in a car crash

I assumed those were pretty rare!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dale had two concussions between late-August and early-October 2012, and in 2016 had concussions so severe he was out of action from July through December. It probably is pretty rare that someone has that many/that significant though, I don't follow the sport so idk for sure

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

I assumed those were pretty rare!

depends on the series and track

if the field is pretty well strung out, crashes can be pretty rare short of some mechanical issue occuring (see F1, Indycar)

if the field is tighter grouped, crashes are much more significant (see NASCAR superspeedway races)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's also a much larger issue in Nascar where there's a race every week, whereas in most other series' if you get a concussion there's usually at least 2 weeks to recover before you have to be in the race car again. If you want to see some true terror regarding head injuries in motorsport though, look at the time Felipe Massa in F1 got knocked out by a spring hitting his helmet and was gone for a full year. Stuff like that is why head protection is increasingly a thing around open cockpit cars, so Indycar has a small deflector panel to prevent drivers being potentially hit in the face by debris, and F1 has the halo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

It's also a much larger issue in Nascar where there's a race every week, whereas in most other series' if you get a concussion there's usually at least 2 weeks to recover before you have to be in the race car again. If you want to see some true terror regarding head injuries in motorsport though, look at the time Felipe Massa in F1 got knocked out by a spring hitting his helmet and was gone for a full year. Stuff like that is why head protection is increasingly a thing around open cockpit cars, so Indycar has a small deflector panel to prevent drivers being potentially hit in the face by debris, and F1 has the halo.

well part of it in NASCAR and stock cars in general is that car is built to really with stand contact, so the racing can be afford to be more aggressive and drivers can usually walk away if they have a HANS (not to mention the cars are now have a lot of flaps that go up if a car is going any direction but forward at speed, I ceasing drag and lowering speed)

In F1 and Indycar, because it's open wheel and open cockpit, it's a lot easier for the cars to get hosed up and drivers to get hosed up (plus race control is a bit tighter on this poo poo) so the racing is more calculated (in Indycar, lol in F1 if you aren't driving Mercedes)

look at Justin Wilson in Indycar who died in the freakiest way possible when a car

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding Austin and his past domestic violence issues: people can be awful, and if they work towards becoming a better person then we should look at that as a positive. It's probably a reasonable assumption that he's never even forgiven himself, let alone gotten the forgiveness of anyone else. If it was a continuous pattern of behavior, then absolutely don't let him off the hook for it. He seems to have grown and improved massively as a human being though, so maybe it's worth giving him the benefit of the doubt.

E: Especially compared to people like Rich Swann or Adam Rose, who it seems almost treat the whole thing like a big hilarious joke.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't understand the point of bringing all of that up anyway

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

RBX posted:

I don't understand the point of bringing all of that up anyway

Me neither. But you mention his name and someone always has to say "yeah well he hit his wife that time". Just assume we already know and move on, man.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Oh hey, it's $6 (plus shipping) on Amazon too. Thank you for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh hey, it's $6 (plus shipping) on Amazon too. Thank you for this!

It's a good read. He comes across as a very earnest, likeable, decent person. The concussion stuff is relayed very well.

I say this as someone with no interest in motorsports.