Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

St Evan Echoes posted:

Anyone else just dread hearing Dave talking about a rape victim?

Without hyperbole- how he handles this is going to determine if I keep paying for his content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He waffled a lot and tried not to say anything that would get people mad, because he knows that he’s very bad at this

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Club Mickey review on the Bryan & Vinny show was :discourse:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
To be fair, there's not really anything to say about Enzo than "he's been accused of a thing, if he's guilty he should go to jail for the rest of his life"

Well, except Dave would add a few 'y'know...rape...it's a bad thing.." type sentences in the middle of there.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave doesn’t really get the benefit of the doubt ever since he said something really dismissive like “Women, what can I say?” wrt domestic abuse allegations against Honma (I think?)

He might have said lovely things before then but it seems to me that’s when he started getting cagey and defensive over that kind of thing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i don't remember that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raskolnikov38 posted:

congrats to RAINN for their upcoming $100 donation from one bryan alvarez

bryan is such an idiot

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah that was pretty stupid of Bryan in more ways than one.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Did he say something stupid on Observer Live?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

he bet mike $100 that WWE would rehire enzo if he was found innocent

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
That sounds like something the WWE would definitely do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They've completely scrubbed Enzo from the website, including his profile. He's super gone.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Do Dave and Bryan not have someone close to them to tell them to shut the gently caress up with these takes?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Even if Enzo was found not guilty, they're not rehiring a guy who hid rape charges from them.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he bet mike $100 that WWE would rehire enzo if he was found innocent

Malcolm Excellent posted:

That sounds like something the Bryan Alvarez would definitely do.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mkay0 posted:

Do Dave and Bryan not have someone close to them to tell them to shut the gently caress up with these takes?

WOL has Producer Dom but the podcasts are just them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Malcolm Excellent posted:

That sounds like something the WWE would definitely do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mkay0 posted:

At first I was like "I would do this poo poo for free" but then I rememberer Dave and Bryan both are pretty fuckin stubborn about poo poo that I don't think they could draw up the funds to afford my time.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Super No Vacancy posted:

hmm i don't remember that

It happened

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

VJeff posted:

They've completely scrubbed Enzo from the website, including his profile. He's super gone.

Was Hogan also super gone, and then they were trying to get him for Raw 25? I can't remember.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lone Goat posted:

Was Hogan also super gone, and then they were trying to get him for Raw 25? I can't remember.

If I remember right, there was a brief period where a couple of unofficial comments were made (by HHH?) that seemed like they were testing waters to see what the reaction to a Hogan return would be, and then suddenly they just shut up entirely about it. Which makes me figure that at least one sponsor told them,"Hire back Hogan and you lose our sponsorship."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the modern climate for that sort of thing, WWE are going to have to wait a long goddamn time/forever to bring Hogan back if they want to avoid a loud public backlash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, there was a brief period where a couple of unofficial comments were made (by HHH?) that seemed like they were testing waters to see what the reaction to a Hogan return would be, and then suddenly they just shut up entirely about it. Which makes me figure that at least one sponsor told them,"Hire back Hogan and you lose our sponsorship."

I'm actually surprised they let AJ do the '"WELL YA KNOW SOMETHIN MEAN GENE", to be honest. Especially when the Flair angle is right there and you could maybe even have had Ric show up at the end of the promo and shake AJ's hand, make some kind of winking reference to being his old mentor or something.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I’m confused why WWE would consider it at all. It would pop a building/rating once, then what? He doesn’t do anything. He forgot his lines in nearly every promo on his last run. As far as risk versus reward, why is it even being debated?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I'm trying to imagine what worth Hogan has as a draw to counteract his unbelievably negative public profile. If you're gonna spend a bunch of money to bring back an old guy to get a big pop just get Bret or Flair or loving Terry Funk instead and avoid all the backlash.

Maybe I'm off base here but I can't imagine Hogan drawing enough revenue to justify a salary, much less the risk of alienating sponsors, viewers, and shareholders.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

mkay0 posted:

I’m confused why WWE would consider it at all. It would pop a building/rating once, then what? He doesn’t do anything. He forgot his lines in nearly every promo on his last run. As far as risk versus reward, why is it even being debated?

all wwe has to offer now is empty nostalgia

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mkay0 posted:

I'm pretty sure even today you could make a fair bit of money from Hogan merchandise and mine the deep well of content/moments they have from his many, many, many years at the utter top of wrestling both in WWF and WCW. Having him under contract for the odd appearance here or there would just make all that a little easier.

But as has been said, they can forget that idea because no sponsor is gonna want to run the risk of the media asking them why they sponsor a company that supports a racist.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Karmine posted:

I'm trying to imagine what worth Hogan has as a draw to counteract his unbelievably negative public profile. If you're gonna spend a bunch of money to bring back an old guy to get a big pop just get Bret or Flair or loving Terry Funk instead and avoid all the backlash.

Maybe I'm off base here but I can't imagine Hogan drawing enough revenue to justify a salary, much less the risk of alienating sponsors, viewers, and shareholders.

His shop in Orlando is doing very good business by all accounts and wrestling has a long history of welcoming back and forgiving nearly everything

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hogan will be back a month after tape of Trump saying the N word drops.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mkay0 posted:

This is the thing that I've never been able to figure out. I've heard so much about how Hogan should be forgiven and brought back and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what actual value he brings today that justifies bringing him back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did Hogan get his money from the Gawker verdict or is that all still wrapped up in liquidation hell?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

coconono posted:

At first I was like "I would do this poo poo for free" but then I rememberer Dave and Bryan both are pretty fuckin stubborn about poo poo that I don't think they could draw up the funds to afford my time.

I've talked to Bryan a couple of times and he's actually not stubborn about this type of stuff at all and is a genuinely good dude AFAIK

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I've talked to Bryan a couple of times and he's actually not stubborn about this type of stuff at all and is a genuinely good dude AFAIK

I love how often Bryan has to explain he has a gimmick for his radio shows.

"I'm not actually angry all the time!"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Jerusalem posted:

Did Hogan get his money from the Gawker verdict or is that all still wrapped up in liquidation hell?

I'm pretty sure he got most of it once Univision bought Gawker, enough for him to be living a pretty comfortable existence if his Twitter is any indication

VJeff posted:

This is the thing that I've never been able to figure out. I've heard so much about how Hogan should be forgiven and brought back and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what actual value he brings today that justifies bringing him back.

95% of the old people brought back at RAW25 were there for 'nostalgia pop + maybe sell a t-shirt' and there's plenty of money to be made with a new batch of official Hogan merchandise, the ESPN/WWE documentary about his redemption arc the last few years, and of course getting more Network subs by putting the Hogan feature film catalog up for streaming

I have to imagine the only reason Hogan isn't making appearances (he has been on some of their commercials lately in brief spots) is that Mattel or one of the other big sponsors is adamantly against it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I love how often Bryan has to explain he has a gimmick for his radio shows.

"I'm not actually angry all the time!"

well duh

he's gotta sleep sometime

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lol if you get worked by Alvarez’s radio gimmick. Semp on the other hand is probably a pub bore irl

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan will be back a month after tape of Trump saying the N word drops.

Coincidentally that's exactly when the build-up for the battle of the self-labeled billionaires 2 begins

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

CubsWoo posted:

His shop in Orlando is doing very good business by all accounts and wrestling has a long history of welcoming back and forgiving nearly everything

Absolutely true, but what money does WWE stand to make off of Hogan coming back as, say, GM of raw? He can't do matches, he'd be poo poo on commentary, so it's about the best you can get out of him. I obviously don't dare to try and think like Vince McMahon does but putting myself in his shoes the risk vs reward calculation on this one seems pretty imbalanced.

Vince is gonna Vince. The motherfucker is liquidating shares to reenact his most public and gigantic blunder of all time so for all I know he could bring Hulk back and have him do skits with the New Day about whether or not it's ok for white people to say "brother."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the idea would be more that he'd be on a Legends Contract (probably a better one than most, given he's Hulk Hogan) and then in addition to being able to exploit all their video resources and merchandising options, they could bring him out every so often for an easy pop, a quick skit and then off he goes.

Again, all this is a moot point, because he's basically poison to them at the moment as far as their sponsors are concerned. But they'd absolutely bring him back in a second if they thought nobody (important) was going to make a fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I thought Dave had a very astute analysis of why it is even trickier to bring Hogan back than the sponsors. Some of the value in bringing Hogan back is to have him as a brand ambassador. You can't just give him a legends deal, he can make more elsewhere. But if you give him the type of deal he'd want, you need to justify it and you'd make him a brand ambassador. But what's the value of a brand ambassador if every time he's representing your brand people ask him about the time he said the N word during a sex tape?