Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my two cents is that in wrestling how much something would actually really hurt is less important that how much it immediately looks like it would hurt, and mic shots never look like they should put someone down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The mic toss looked less painful than maki’s shots.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Proper wireless mics are heavy as poo poo

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

my two cents is that in wrestling how much something would actually really hurt is less important that how much it immediately looks like it would hurt, and mic shots never look like they should put someone down

Agreed. And if the problem with mic shots is they always look weak but always hurt like hell, they shouldn't be doing them; that's exactly the opposite of the look-to-pain ratio you want.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

Chris Champion. Reliable wrestler who is really only known for work he did under a gimmick. Was half of The New Breed in the original FCW, and was Kowabunga The Wrestling Turtle for CWA/USWA. Also briefly in a tag team called The SS, which asks more questions than it answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXyGaVDeIc

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Listening to Dave talk about AEW booking and he says that WWE has the 'better looking show'. He's entitled to his opinion but if he's talking about thunderdome and the gigantic CGI dog and the alexa bliss balloon and the repurposed-from-bobby-roode birds that come out when Matt Riddle flips off his sandal.... Hard disagree.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

reignofevil posted:

Listening to Dave talk about AEW booking and he says that WWE has the 'better looking show'. He's entitled to his opinion but if he's talking about thunderdome and the gigantic CGI dog and the alexa bliss balloon and the repurposed-from-bobby-roode birds that come out when Matt Riddle flips off his sandal.... Hard disagree.

I do agree in some aspects of this tbh. To your average viewer I'm sure WWE looks way better in terms of production value. WWE also use better cameras for entrances and stuff. They can change the lighting in the arena in cool ways with the screens IF THEY WANT TO (the fans on the screens look terrible and always will though).

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dave's AEW argument that "too many people" are featured is a poorly focused one to me - I haven't walked away from an episode confused about what the takeaways from each episode were.

Really, the only parts for me which are growing old are the Omega/Mox story (which I felt like should've moved to Omega/Kingston), and Jade/Red Velvet.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There is no universe where the WWE product looks better than the AEW one. The dumb screens and the nauseating camerawork alone seal that particular deal for me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I just hope for some explanations for his thoughts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When he pointed out that Jungle Boy had that awesome match with FTR bald and he was the talk of the town and then just kinda faded into the background again.

I, uh, dunno. Kind of a good point. I at least thought we'd get a big blow off between FTR and Jurassic Express but the blow off to that was a 6 man with Tully and now FTR is feuding with Proud and Powerful.

I dunno. I wasnt thinking about it before but. Dave was kinda making some good points.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

When he pointed out that Jungle Boy had that awesome match with FTR bald and he was the talk of the town and then just kinda faded into the background again.

I, uh, dunno. Kind of a good point. I at least thought we'd get a big blow off between FTR and Jurassic Express but the blow off to that was a 6 man with Tully and now FTR is feuding with Proud and Powerful.

I dunno. I wasnt thinking about it before but. Dave was kinda making some good points.

Please don't call him FTR Bald please call him by his real name Perry Saturn.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

I mean, Jungle Boy is ranked #3, above PAC. He's absolutely on a shortlist of challengers for Kenny, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Fyter Fest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

I mean, Jungle Boy is ranked #3, above PAC. He's absolutely on a shortlist of challengers for Kenny, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Fyter Fest.

I don't think it will happen but I would love to see Jungle Boy get an upset over Christian and then Hangman and be the Double or Nothing challenger.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave is old

Old people like WWE

Dave likes WWE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AEW definitely has an issues of either dragging feuds on too long or not giving a satisfying end to feuds and it's something they will need to work on to get young guys up to super star level

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AEW is too fast paced for old man Dave.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I think Daves point of view is that historically, wrestling is a star driven industry. AEW needs to take 3-5 of their hottest prospects and push them like mad and see if any of them catch fire, rather than try and give everyone something to do.

So I think he’d prefer if Hangman and Jungle Boy (for example) were given dominant runs that result in big singles matches and you try and judge who gets over, then push those dudes harder.

Atm AEW are doing cool storytelling and letting everyone get a bit of shine, but traditionally that doesn’t pull in more viewers and I think Dave thinks that has to be the priority.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MJeff posted:

It's always possible to tighten stuff up, but to me it's like McDonald's versus a 18 course dinner at a fancy restaurant. McDonalds is going to be McDonalds but even if I forget the 6th course of my fancy dinner I remember liking it when I was eating it. This might be a dumb analogy.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Get Hangman to drink with Ernie and Charles on inside the NBA a few times a month.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

I think Daves point of view is that historically, wrestling is a star driven industry. AEW needs to take 3-5 of their hottest prospects and push them like mad and see if any of them catch fire, rather than try and give everyone something to do.

So I think he’d prefer if Hangman and Jungle Boy (for example) were given dominant runs that result in big singles matches and you try and judge who gets over, then push those dudes harder.

Atm AEW are doing cool storytelling and letting everyone get a bit of shine, but traditionally that doesn’t pull in more viewers and I think Dave thinks that has to be the priority.

Nothing is going to get over right now without huge crowd energy. I do think the right move right now is making everyone look good so they have a wealth of prospects to choose from when they can start touring again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
AEW's problems are largely logistics stuff that every wrestling company faces, imo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HidaO-Win posted:

I think Daves point of view is that historically, wrestling is a star driven industry.

Well that’s on Dave then for not giving Rosa/Britt 5 stars

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I'm sure to casual or new fans WWE probably does look better at first. It's a crisper more cleanly produced show, their pyro is bigger and better, the led boards and thunderdome screens everywhere make it look more expensive and thus better/more important. But a lot of that stuff starts to look really awful after watching even a few shows, not to mention the bad production choices like the camera work and the crispy Roman and Riddle birds cgi things.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

A casual viewer was once recreated in a lab to study their behavior but quickly destabilized and vaporized within microseconds

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pylons posted:

Nothing is going to get over right now without huge crowd energy. I do think the right move right now is making everyone look good so they have a wealth of prospects to choose from when they can start touring again.

Ding ding ding. Perfect post.

Dave’s got very valid points. Matter of fact, I agree with many of them but he’s hashing these points out in a very different environment today.

So, roster bloat is real. It’s very real. Kurt Angle coming in like, ITS drat REAL.

There are 80+ known signed talents. There are over 20 more that are fully signed that are not announced.

There are 2 hours of weekly programming for the average aged wrestling viewer (54 years old) to follow these talents and see who is who. This past year was an experiment for wrestling and just because one rating says this and that, has very little value to what things will look like at the end of 2021, assuming crowds come back.

Also, we never get the overall ratings that show who is actually watching the show days and even weeks later. Or those who are invested and don’t even watch the show and catch clips only, but still consider themselves fans of the product.

Let’s just say it, because it will be the facts until TK does some releases (which I think he will do when indies come back in full swing), he’s got 2 hours of TV time and 4 hours of YouTube time to get people to care in today’s environment about roughly 100-110 talents they are invested in full-time.

I can’t imagine that to make a long-term business decision about a climate that you can’t predict just yet, that TK and his team are looking to create new stars today, April 6, 2021.

It’s like this: TK always mentions his future stars. Ricky Starks is in every single script he goes into interviews with. Ricky Starks has has 1 match on Dynamite, national television, in all of 2021.

Yet, he is a future champion and viewed as one of the key stars of AEW.

Dave has great points in his critiques. They’re valid and I would 100% take those if we had crowds and wrestling was WHAT IT WAS. But right now, and I take this from being part of a couple boards and seeing behind the curtain with many companies I work with, it’s about what will work right now and set you up for the “return to normalcy” and then there’s an entirely different plan that you execute when “normalcy has resumed”.

Companies are investing in their talent. No matter the industry. This is what AEW is doing right now, hence the 92 talents on Q1 2021 Dynamite versus 64 Q1 2020 Dynamite if I recall those metrics correctly.

Love the takes going on here! Everybody’s got great insights and opinions and I’m digging it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

ICR posted:

Love the takes going on here! Everybody’s got great insights and opinions and I’m digging it.

Really good post for your part as well, finding the discussion enlightening dissecting the original point.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Pylons posted:

I’d agree it’s miles harder to judge who is actually over, and it’s much harder to choose who to focus on as a result, but I see Daves point about trying to build stars.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

HidaO-Win posted:

I’d agree it’s miles harder to judge who is actually over, and it’s much harder to choose who to focus on as a result, but I see Daves point about trying to build stars.

From what I gather, TK is looking at quarter hour ratings, merch sales, video clip view counts and other online traffic indicators for judging who's "over" right now.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

ICR posted:

It’s like this: TK always mentions his future stars. Ricky Starks is in every single script he goes into interviews with. Ricky Starks has has 1 match on Dynamite, national television, in all of 2021.

I hadn't even thought of it that way. I just thought dude was over as hell because he was over to me. Sure, I'd want more matches from him, but drat, that does make him seem cold in that regard...

And I say this as someone who only watches Dark / Dark: Elevation when there are matches that y'all say are worth it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

blast0rama posted:

I hadn't even thought of it that way. I just thought dude was over as hell because he was over to me. Sure, I'd want more matches from him, but drat, that does make him seem cold in that regard...

And I say this as someone who only watches Dark / Dark: Elevation when there are matches that y'all say are worth it.

No offense, but this seems kind of stupid to me? If he was over for you before without having to wrestle matches.. isn't that a good thing? Why is your perception of him being "cold" or not based on how many matches he's had?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i was listening to the clip about booking and dave brought up that these points came from a few people who ran national promotions, and that got me thinking: who are these people?

thinking about it after a while i realized he's probably talking about konnan and mike tenay, both of whom lived through TNA and WCW. of course they would be hyper critical of anyone for not making enough tv stars and having too many contracted wrestlers

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think it’s good for AEW to have a big roster because you can move people around when you need certain people to heal up, take a break things like that. That’s why you can get a fun feud like Cassidy and Chuck vs Miro and Kip. Or you can have the bucks take a couple weeks off or whatever. It’s always baffles me that wwe has like the largest roster of wrestlers ever but we only see the same 10 guys every single week.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Too bad Dave doesn't do journalism anymore or he could use one of his six sources among AEW's executives to break news stories like "Big Show is signing" or literally anything else they're going to do that he knows about

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mob posted:

Too bad Dave doesn't do journalism anymore or he could use one of his six sources among AEW's executives to break news stories like "Big Show is signing" or literally anything else they're going to do that he knows about

It would be very stupid of him to burn his sources by leaking things they asked him not to report on.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hm yes it's almost like there's a problem if every piece of inside information he learns has that caveat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of the fun things about a big roster is you dont know who will show up each week so its always a treat

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mob posted:

Hm yes it's almost like there's a problem if every piece of inside information he learns has that caveat

That problem being.. he doesn't spoil their surprise signings?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mob posted:

Considering it was hours between Big Show getting released by the WWE and signing with AEW, him leaking that would be considered proof on contract tampering. Past that, Dave said the situation over Brodie was very tight-lipped and that's a sign of a healthy locker room environment.

Either way, TNT told Tony to cut the surprises out, because they didn't like the idea that Sting just showed up and they didn't have a chance to promote it, which is why Christian was teased for a PPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mob posted:

What is it