Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
YTR vs Shave at the Dome when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Roman Reignsports: Wroman Podreigns: Roman Reigns

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cavauro posted:

don't excuse Dave Meltzer all the time. Some times it's not right

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
bone's where the flavor is, buddy, that's what guy fieri taught me

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
A better sound than regular ol' talking, anyway

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Knife-edge chops loving hurt because they sound like they loving hurt. Ergo, knife-edge chops are cool as poo poo.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well they're not called the cleansheets

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

Double post but it's important I fully and wholeheartedly endorse Jim Valley going gently caress it and just dedicating an entire Wrestling Observer Live to gushing about how loving great Cody has gotten at being a star. :hmmyes:
And on that note, let's look back around the timeframe when Cody announced his departure:

Neodoomium posted:

Happy Trails Cody, you worked for a company that almost never knows what it's doing.

You'll be great in ELITE with Kenny Omega.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

why would anyone want this?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha yeah Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks, and Cody Rhodes. The Elite.

Gar posted:

Cody is one of the best examples of WWE shooting themselves in the foot.

When he went from Dashing, to the plastic mask, to bringing back the white IC title... He seemed like one of the first people in years who would've had a "natural" progression to the main event. Like without Money in the Bank or something to just "drop" him into the main event. He was turning out great performances every night.

Then WWE prematurely ended his IC run to FINALLY give Big Show a win at Wrestlemania. A moment I'm not even sure Big Show was waiting for. Cody never got back on that track after that, even when he managed to put the 7 foot 500 pound monster through a table to regain his IC title!.... Oh wait, no, Big Show just slipped or something.

Trip Larsen posted:

That promo where Cody lamented how they put his father in polka dots and his brother in gold paint is still one of my favorites. I hope he gets huge in some other promotion and WWE is forced to throw money at him to come back.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Cody's going to run overseas and become a loving superstar and WWE's going to have to mortgage Triple H's dick to get him back.

I hope.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

please don't wish cody rhodes on new japan

Eltoasto posted:

Going to be pretty interesting to track these guys once the initial indie booking rush slows down. I've never been that entertaining by Cody in the ring, but maybe he will pull out or learn some new tricks What did Cody do before WWE? Isn't he pretty much entirely WWE wrestling training?

Gonzo McFee posted:

The writers are a scapegoat. Each and every one of them is clinging onto their jobs for dear life trying their hardest to write for an audience of one family of narcissistic drug abusers.
also

Grinnblade posted:

So I'm hearing some rumbling that Jack Swagger stormed out of the arena and was seen driving away "visibly angry".

RIP WWE's enhancement talent that should have gotten better shots.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would legit like to see Swagger fight in Bellator or whatever.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, I was like why does 2016 feel so long agoohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ThePariah posted:

Goto is better than Cena.
at choking, maybe

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jesus WEP posted:

Darby was born in 97 and claims his first memories from wrestling are from 99 :thunk:
Unless I misheard, I thought he said he was 27 on the Jericho podcast, but Wikipedia says he was born in ‘97. So which is it?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When he turns heel, does he suddenly become a teetotaler?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Fascinated by what HHH thought when he told Harper he could get him into New Japan.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Edge & Christian posted:

The "Jungle Boy should have beaten the streak with little build-up" argument was dumb, but I feel like Bryan's "there's no one who can beat the streak except Cody" argument was somehow dumber.
they were seriously griping about a heel over face result in the undercard when all the mains went face over heel?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

darby and sammy (and jungle boy for that matter) seem set to be in dues-paying roles for at least the first year of dynamite because almost everyone in front of them at the line has made their name elsewhere, but those in charge are continually setting up the pieces to make those three in aew, they're just not interested in fast forwarding to that moment. mjf doesn't have to do this i guess because he's a stand-alone heel and he seems set up down the line to be the peer that has to eventually be overcome

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Incessant Excess posted:

I can hear the disdain in my head as I read these
is that gonna be the new member?!!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine your hero being 16-time world champion Ric Flair and not realizing he only won about 16 matches.
"I can exceed Ric Flair by winning more and putting myself over!"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Talk is Jericho with Dean Malenko talking Parkinson's, his career and AEW is really good. Dean is really funny as always and his thoughts on how his philosophy gels with what the new guys are doing is an interesting perspective vs what a lot of "old guys" think. Plus his family's method for coping with Parkinson's is pretty unique!
Malenko says Ricky Starks is money and then almost immediately compares him to The Miz* :roflolmao:

*(in terms of 'that guy at the bar that looks like a dick')

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Reviewing 90s All Japan sounds like the most boring listen in the world.
But what if it was just the undercard matches?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It's all glorious in the mob til you get whacked off in a Nevada cornfield with your brother.
That's just making mob life sound more glorious, doc gallows!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Shard posted:

I wonder if when Dave retires if someone else will take up the mantle of official star giver for match quality on ALL wrestling in the world.
depends on if anyone can step up and gain the credibility dave has worked his whole life to acquire in locker rooms around the world

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah people get pissed but like 4.75 is a loving awesome score.
it's the B+ of meltzer star ratings (small wonder that it's the highest danielson ever got)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The_Rob posted:

I think the bucks and omega should absolutely screw Hangman out the title. Like it should just be absolute bullshit antics. Build it just a little longer so fans are frothing from the mouth for Hangman.
These are interesting thought experiments wherein austin in '98 didn't go over at the royal rumble or wm14

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The thing is dream matches for the title have the potential to draw more than just dream matches....but it also feels like this is Hangman's time and delaying it again might mean they'll miss the momemnt
If aew misses the timing, I firmly believe it's only going to affect hangman's career and not the entire promotion considering the talent they've developed and acquired. You don't want aew to screw it up, but now it's easier to try again with someone else.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

Vince: So I'm thinking we need to do something new and hip, like that hit movie everybody loves, Crocodiles Dundee
Pritchard: Yes sir it is the movie all the kids love.
Vince: So obviously we need to do all the things associated with Australia. The hats, the boots, the 1980s computer graphic virtual corridor spreading into infinity, and he says g'day mate a lot.
Pritchard: There isn't a thing you just said that doesn't make perfect and 100% reasonable sense.
vince & bruce are evil ray & roast beef

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
whoa, dave meltzer really let himself go

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
lance storm is 50+ anyway

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i'll have no further opinions about danhausen until he's forced onto me by aew television

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'll take the under

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

81sidewinder posted:

Over/under 9.75 stars for FTR this week in the Observer?

Vertical Lime posted:

ftr/briscoes got 5
ftr/bucks got 4.75

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaz-L posted:

Do we know that All In is a purely AEW show? The first one had NWA,ROH and NJPW involvement. AAA too if I recall
Yeah, I was wondering why they were bringing back the All In branding, if they're really trying to fill 90,000 seats, the wembley show could be more akin to the bridge of dreams tokyo dome event rather than something that'll mostly be an aew showcase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is there a podcast that covers the indies, Japan, and Mexico during that era?