Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The main two wrestling podcasts I listen to are Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard, and Solomonster Sounds Off, neither of which are in the OP. Shame.

Something to Wrestle has a ton of information and interesting tidbits from somebody who was in the WWE for years, even though sometimes I get the feeling Prichard is completely full of poo poo. (What Happened When is okay, but you can tell Tony wasn't nearly as involved in decision making that Prichard was.)

Solomonster is just... good. I don't know why I like his show so much. He has no real connections or insider information, he's just a lifelong fan talking about wrestling, but I look forward to his show every week.

Sup fellow Solomonster fan :hfive: There's just something about the whole package that works for me, maybe the best out of everything I listen to. It's also kind of refreshing to have a straight-up one-man show?

I think WrestleTalk's WrestleRamble podcast is also worth a look. Two extremely jovial brits just shooting the poo poo. I kind of look forward to the chats about non-wrestling related stuff more now to be honest, that's the level of rambling we're talking about here.

Also thanks very much for linking Music of the Mat, this kind of thing is exactly my poo poo!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I started listening to Wrestlesplainia based on this page's discussion. Couple of episodes in and I'm fairly sure it's the best wrestling podcast around

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Man, I just realized Rachel and Kath are going to have a god drat field day with Kota Ibushi being stuck on the street for an entire night because he's a moron. I can't wait for that Wrestlesplania episode :allears:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I had never seen a photo of Bryan Alvarez until now and he looks nothing like I had imagined based on his voice and personality

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TheCool69 posted:

Hi hopefully i wont get into trouble for this but i'd like to hear your guys opinions about this podcast i i did.

I chatted with Finnish prowrestler Starbuck about the subject of "Heel" and what it really means. The original idea was to understand why so many MMA guys want to try to be a heel.

But we ended up chatting about prowrestling, and what makes a good heel nowadays. I think Buck has good points but he is pretty old school guy with old school opinions.

Give it a listen if you will.

https://soundcloud.com/amiuparinen/kuparisen-kulma-the-rebell-starbuck

Hell yeah I will! Was not expecting a StarBuck interview popping up here. He's a v. good wrestler and the reason this dumb thing even exists in Finland at this point. And yeah he's very oldschool and I disagree with his personal politics a lot but he does know how to be the bad guy (I do have to admit I cheered for him at the last event because the babyface sucks poo poo) and can switch it up when necessary, too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Listened to the thing. I don't think there's anything too new or groundbreaking, but it was still a good listen and I did like how StarBuck said he realizes his personal politics are against the current mainstream (well... at least in the more urban areas of Finland) which makes him the heel by default, and he has no problem leaning on that fact to make his heeling more effective.

It's just too bad the main babyface currently positioned against him in FCF is not a particularly good wrestler nor does he have my sympy.

Also, he might be a bit too old school to see that the nature of the babyface/heel dynamic is changing and has in some part already changed. Okada vs Omega didn't really have a clear heel (Okada, purely by the virtue of people desperately wanting Omega to win), but the emotional stakes in that match were sky high - only because the stories they told leading up to and in that match were so excellently told. It can be done without the classic kind of the heel vs face dynamic... it's just much harder.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 15, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wrestlesplania's new episode is about The Miz :getin:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

karmicknight posted:

:siren: CHUCK TAYLOR SPLAINIA HAS DROPPED :siren:

This episode is everything I dreamed it to be :swoon:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

God drat Jason Solomon tears into Seth Rollins on his latest Solomonster Sounds Off show. There's nothing quite like a Solomon rant.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fart blood posted:

Jason Solomon seems like a cool dude and he competently does a solo podcast, but he’s in tight with some podcast people that I find to be rather not swell folks so I tend to just avoid him, which is a shame.

Huh, which ones? Honest question, I can only remember him being buddies with Wade Keller who seems to be well-respected.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the replies re: Solomon. I was vaguely aware of a connection between Solomon and Don Tony, I think Don Tony might’ve sent him a congrats note for whichever milestone it was. It’s not like he’s often mentioned on the podcast so I’d totally forgotten about the guy.

Anyway... That’s a bummer to hear. Before I started to actually listen to wrestling podcasts, I stumbled upon TVTraX’s Youtube channel which featured Solomonster and Don Tony clips (amongst others, probably). I remember checking out both and ending up liking Solomon so much that I started listening to his podcast for real. Don Tony always seemed quite unpleasant and incredibly whiny, but I didn’t know about his chudness and racism. That’s real poo poo and I’m sad Solomon associates with him.

I know nothing about Wrestling Soup but they don’t sound like great people either :(

PaybackJack posted:

Solomonster Sounds Off is alright. He's mostly just covering and giving his opinions, which are 95% what Dave/Bryan/Wade report and that's cool. He does seem like a generally positive fan overall which is good as he has optimism for all the companies. If all fans were as open minded as he was that would be great. I don't listen every week but I think I follow his YouTube channel and listen to some of his soundbites.

It’s not like Solomon’s is the podcast for you if you want to hear the hottest scoops or anything, but if you want the kind of secondary/tertiary analysis/opinion pieces and thoughts on pro wrestling, I think he has his head screwed on very straight and has a clear, analytical approach to stuff, in addition to being, as mentioned before, actually quite positive and open-minded when it comes to different promotions (which is partly why, when he enters proper rant mode, it’s often very entertaining). Also, I really enjoy his delivery and voice, which are obviously important in an audio-only format. Him associating with not-great people will make me think twice about recommending his show to people now, though.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 2, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The latest Wrestlesplania episode is about Chyna and I think it might be one of their best. Very emotional. This is exactly where this show is at its best: Bringing a perspective to pro wrestling you really unfortunately rarely get to hear.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Well poo poo I guess Wrestlesplania is changing. They're going on hiatus and Kath is leaving the show. That's a bummer.

TTBF posted:

Elby/hunk tears is also leaving

This sucks rear end, hopefully it’s nothing personal between them and Kath and Elby both left amicably.

Rachel is fantastic and I love her but this is a huge bummer.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

100 Things WWE Fans Should Know And Do Before They Die is a bad concept because there is precisely one thing people should know (”WWE sucks”) and one thing they should do (”stop watching WWE”)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lid posted:

Huge news: dave says he has "turned the corner" on Taichi thanks to the G1

Finally, justice for Taichi

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I guess I'll give nu Wrestlesplania a try but I don't know or care about any of the people that aren't Rachel and am not 100% enthused by the concept, especially since it's largely men in the group in that video and one of the main draws of the show for me was the female perspective on pro wrestling.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just listen to the stuff that’s posted on YouTube but this was amusing

Bryan: ”Can we have some babyfaces?!”
Dave: ”.......no. We’re not allowed.”

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I wasn't overly enthused by the intro episode but will extremely tune in for Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Wrestlesplania Episode

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The first real episode of Wrestlesplania without Kath dropped and I don’t like it :( Who are these people and why should I care

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

For the past several weeks Solomonster Sounds Off has had an "RSPW Rewind" feature where he digs up 90s internet posts about wrestling. It's generally pretty interesting, he's read reactions to Goldust, Stone Cold etc. and it's funny how internet pro wrestling fandom has always been pretty much the same as it is now. This week he found posts all the way from 1993 criticizing the WWE for the exact same stuff they are being criticized for today: Wasting talent that can do so much better, stupid storylines, Vince McMahon. Like Solomon says, those posts could literally be from 2019 with different names. It's pretty astounding.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s a rare treat: Jim Sterling blasting WWE 2K20 and WWE, on the Jim Sterling YouTube channel!

https://youtu.be/-ScQuKXFPs0

Jim Sterling is a delight and I’d listen to a pro wrestling podcast that had him in it.

Edit: It's especially interesting because Sterling is a pro wrestling fan (and a pro wrestler himself now I guess!) but 99 % of his audience probably isn't, so he has to try to explain the weird poo poo going on in WWE to non-fans.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

I like Jim's stuff most of the time. I guess the worst complaint I have with him is mostly the same as the other reviewers like YongYea and Angry Joe that mostly repost the same video on the same thing a half dozen times. Like, if I never hear Jim comment on Fallout76 or Anthem again it will be too soon.

It's funny that he just started following Bryan Alvarez due to the Hell in a Cell clusterfuck.

They're just following the stories as they develop, as is only reasonable. I do get it if it gets annoying, though. If I've heard enough of a topic I'll just skip a video.

Jim also does this better than others because the weekly Jimquisition episode itself is generally (obviously not always) about something else than the current big outrageous story happening.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

sandra got fired from wwe didn't she? I know her from somewhere and think i remember her from total divas, which i used to watch during its first and second seasons because I'm powerful.

Yea however I think she just left the company. She was on Total Divas and came across like an absolute sweetheart. I am also somewhat powerful and watched several seasons of it because it was (maybe still is?) vastly more entertaining than WWE

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Better than late than never, just released our full gear and Showdown in San Jose review.

https://rudospodcast.co/episode-17-aew-full-gear-and-njpw-showdown-in-sj-review/

This is the first time I listened to you dudes and I enjoyed it :) I like the chill, friendly vibe. Seeing as you cover the stuff I'm actually interested in, I added the podcast to my favorites on Stitcher.

Also I watched the bean pizza video and am hugely upset now thanks a lot

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s really hard to just drop a person you’ve been friends with for 30+ years. For various reasons.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MJeff posted:

He claims that Cena isn't as big of a star in Japan as some other guys Tana has wrestled, which is probably fair, I dunno how over Cena is there but he's obviously never done anything except WWE. So he's not like a Styles or a Jericho who has real history in the country.

If you ran that match, I almost feel like it'd have to be in America. Western NJPW fans would be the ones who would get the most out of it.

That guy is gonna kick my rear end at the pay per view on Sunday.

Well, actually, he's not. I'm gonna kick his rear end.

Well, you know, that's... yeah. So, so... It's like, it's not gonna be a MAAATCH. Well, so, it's gonna be a match. But I'm gonna kick his rear end.

*this goes on for 10 minutes*

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 29, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Elgin had a very good match with loving YOSHI-HASHI and no one will ever be able to take that away from him

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Did an interview with George W Bushi aout his live experience at WrestleKingdom and New Year's Dash. We also talked some Stardom! It was fun, check it out! https://rudospodcast.co/episode-26-wrestlekingdom-live-report/

I listened to this earlier and was going "hm, this dude's voice reminds me of someone, no idea who, oh well" but of course it's the GWB himself! I'm dumb and wasn't able to connect the dots :downs:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

I was talking to some other wrestling podcasters recently and they were talking about dropping WWE. It's just so much of a slog to watch that it's not even fun for them to cover on their shows and makes it feel like a chore.

Which ones, I could do with another wrestling podcast that doesn't talk about WWE the bad three-letter company

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What's the problem with Aldis again? Huge douche IRL?

Because otherwise he's the kind of guy you'd think WWE would definitely want. Very charismatic, excellent talker, good in the ring.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 28, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

How is she overpushed, she has no titles and her w/l record is about 50/50

How long have you been watching WWE? The last time she was champion was in October and she's held a title ten times since coming to the main roster 2015, literally the most title reigns any woman in WWE has ever had. She is constantly featured as the biggest star on the women's roster, often to the detriment of others - remember, when Becky caught fire in 2018 it was Charlotte who was planned to be the mega face instead of Becky and WWE desperately tried to flip it back how they wanted it to go for a while.

Charlotte is the definition of overpushed. I don't think she's as bad in the ring as people like to say (then again, I haven't seen any of her matches since WM34 apart from a pretty fun house show one in Finland) but overpushed is exactly what she is.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: Yeah good idea J-Ru

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

I loved that Dave wouldn't admit he cried at the end of Cody/Dustin match

I'm imagining him going "well, y'know. I wasn't crying. So, so, like, there were definitely some tears. But it wasn't like I was crying. You know. Umm. It's... it's... I really... Well, you could say I was crying. But still!"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

realtalk that was the last time Ziggler was good. He and Seth looked so awesome together in that match until some fossils from the 90s made themselves the real stars

He was good in the Miz feud when he got kicked 190 times in the nuts

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s possible to forget things. I didn’t remember that either until I saw it mentioned somewhere

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A shameful confession: I don’t actually know what he says in that GIF or where it’s from

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Croc posted:

Says What a mark and its from WCW when Raven had a bunch of skits where he was some rich kid who was feeling sad. Kanyon was trying to cheer him up i think anyway kanyon took a bump into a pool in one of them and the sandman was his neighbor.

Uuuggghh. Should’ve been able to figure it out from the various contexts it’s been posted in, but I dumb

(Thanks!)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

njsykora posted:

they're going to show all the matches they're promoting

Hahahahahaha

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Someone should make a meltzersaidwhat parody account called "whatvdvabenmeltzersaid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Just dropped the latest Rudocast episode. We talk everything from AEW to the GHC Heavyweight Title match to New Jack doing coke and stabbing people. It's a fun one

https://twitter.com/RudosPodcast/status/1246573796963651584

Just wanna say this was a really fun episode!