Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I love the Lapsed Fan for how much context and background they give everything they do. They're what Dave could be if he could hold a thought. They don't take it too seriously but they also show respect. Lots of fan interaction and letters which also are great. I'm not reading something like Helen Hart's book but they did. Who else gets perspective from people in Germany on the screw job? The length is perfect for work or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's not that bad. The big thing annoying about that show is the barrage of ads and schilling.

RBX fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

My problem with a lot of wrestling podcasts is they only focus on WWE and seem to only accept the version of history WWE puts out (unless you're a wrestling journalist, but only the hardest of hardcore listen to WOR or between the sheets). No one seems to care about Mexican wrestling outside of a small niche or any non-New Japan Japanese promotion, even if it's historically important like All Japan

Kudos to hulkamatt and massrafter for not being that way

ps talk about ring of glory

I mean if that's all they know can you blame them? They'd have to actively search it out during the years that it'd be harder to find than it is now. Without having that wrestling around during their early years it's not surprising that they don't have the same reverence for it as WWE.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all are oddly defensive of Meltzer, I don't even think he cares as much as some of you and most of it is them playing a bit.

I do know I have to be interested in the topic they're doing that week to listen while with Tony and what happened when I'll just listen because Tony is a cool dude. This week Conrad got Tony to blindly watch Barely Legal, his first time seeing any ECW ever, and it's great.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No he just called Bryan and the other writer bullshit and said how can they write a book like that without talking to people like him. That's down to opinion.

Calling that book a history book is a reach

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Tony and Bruce are generally nicer and willing to fall into silly poo poo. Eric just needs to find his groove. Give him and Conrad time to build chemistry.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People like Bisch doing these podcasts are really in a no win situation. It's word against word, people for some reason treat certain people's word as gospel and others are nothing, and they're getting grilled about stuff from over 20 years ago like anybody would remember the most minute poo poo. It's just entertainment but people take it so seriously.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

In Bischoff's case it is word against his own words (along with words recorded in documentaries made at the time, and evidence in those documentaries.)

In Prichard's case it's word against word, and like, Jerry Jarrett actually moving to CT and working at WWE.

I understand. I'm just talking generally anyway.

remusclaw posted:

Having the story to tell at all is a win for them, and is how they are buttering their bread these days, what with their career in the wrestling business going belly up like it has. Look at Russo, made good in the 90’s, lived off a dwindling rep in the aughts, reduced to a podcaster in the 10’s, hopefully he disappears for his next trick.

I think there is a lot be said for how excited these guys are and were to talk about and rehash Montreal, it’s the most important thing that ever happened for them, for Meltzer, it was Tuesday, in Texas*.

*Sunday in Montreal

Did their career go belly up? They made millions and live conformable. What, are they supposed to do the same stuff the rest of their life? They got 10 years+ out of wrestling. It's a job, not a lifestyle. And reduced to a Podcaster is funny as if it's not one of the best jobs to have currently or that podcasts aren't insanely popular. Hell you're talking down Dave and Bryan if that's the case.

The only one who's talked about Montreal is Bruce and that was a long time ago, only once, and was requested. I think you're making up that narrative in your head.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first time I saw him on video I instantly said he's living downstairs in his parents house with his wife. There's no way it's anything different.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If you don't listen to 83 weeks just listen to the start of this weeks, Great American Bash 98.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Conrad just goes off on Eric for trying to act like he didn't watch what WWF was doing at the time and taking credit for "making" Hall and Nash. Eric tried to show off saying that Hall and Nash don't appear as their WWF personas, they appear as "his" WCW characters and Conrad just screams "THEY DON'T loving OWN THE CHARACTERS, THEY CAN'T APPEAR AS RAZR AND DIESEL" and Eric is just like "Oh yeah".

The first 15 minutes is him yelling at eric. Someone needs to clip the audio.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I learned so much from that series that nobody else ever talked about.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The sid stuff was still funny and did its job.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I watched it live every week. Nobody cared about anything on WCW at that time. Nobody but very few main eventers had any cred. So whoever he beat didn't matter. I don't care if half the stuff WCW did was stupid funny on purpose or accident as long as it didn't make me want to change the channel like most of the stuff from that Era it's good. His character was "The dumbass" so everything he did fit, mistake or not.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't know what you expected? He did all that, then feuded with Goldberg. What more was it supposed to be? The crowd surely didn't take him serious no matter what the commentators said from week to week. So it was always a joke.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Equating one barely functioning "storyline" to WCW as a whole is disingenuous.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Summerslam is this weekend and people care more about Dave being Dave than it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Or Vince gets super cocky and decides everyone has to go through NXT first and get paid an NXT wage

They tried already.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Them loving Sting up definitely hurt though. I notice everyone that talks about WCW over looks him but Sting was hugely popular and them mishandling him was a big mistake.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

coconono posted:

I may have my timeline messed up Sting was hugely popular around the time he desperately needed to get his personal poo poo sorted. Sting's body was in the arena but he wasn't.

You're correct too, his leaves of absence hurt WCW. If he was there all the time like Taker and was actually invested things might've been different.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Russo defending tequila stuff on WOL about a week later. Really the whole episode is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0VUXs19FBY&t=1661s

e: Brent in Seattle at 30:20 :vince:

Russo's own mic knows what to do whenever he talks.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They go into Dave like details but with jokes instead of uhs.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Everytime they used WWFs name to make their promos edgy made me roll my eyes and I was just a casual kid flipping channel between them. It was such pandering and sad. Impact is a joke today but 2000s WCW had the exact same apathy.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Should've panned the camera down

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sting sounds like me if I worked in late WCW.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He hasn't done a podcast in months and I'm glad to see this is why.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't understand the point of bringing all of that up anyway

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

It's not something he did "that time." He did it two women. When he did it to Debra he refused to turn himself in that night and still only got a fine and probation. I love his show when I listen but then I eventually think "This piece of poo poo beat two women."

Are we really doing this. Let's not.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

In actual sports top players are sitting out seasons if they're unhappy with their situation and it worked for each of them. It's valid.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

With those Podcasts I just listen to the ones that I'm interested in. Except JRs, I like all of his.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah the one question mark I had was how were the guys gonna book themselves and they've handled it great so far. They want to distance themselves as far as possible from the clique's rep.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's almost like he was a fall guy and was used to make it seem like they're doing something like they always do. Why would I ever believe someone from WWE blaming other people for their poo poo show when it was poo poo long before he got there.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't care about my wrestlers/celebrity political takes or even their personal lives and feelings that much. They entertain me every week and that's all I ask. Putting these people on a pedestal has never been my thing tho.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bryan at least absolutely fans the flames for fans to pick sides and rile up drama. I noticed it awhile ago. Dave is too aloof and too honest for that stuff. If anything he's just playing it too safe with WWE and is too hard on AEW.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He always has a crazy conspiracy dude on some weeks.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not subbed but do Dave and Bryan talk about NWA? Or they do and I just don't hear about it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's something I thought about more as I got older. Like dudes are sweaty, prolly smell like hell after a match. Then the blood sometimes and the ring and just jeez they go through alot. Same for all sports where you take the small things for granted.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Who knew putting a big percentage of the wrestlers in one match was dumb.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody here use Pocketcasts? Can I link F4W with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Alot of wrestling requires the viewer to play along and people pick and choose when they want to play along.