Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Wow I can't believe the OP doesn't include the very important and popular Monumental Podcast.

no other podcast explores the very important topic of 'has hulkamatt ever actually watched wrestling?'

he hasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Weren't Nitro and Thunder also a 'short hiatus'?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

you have to be loving with us, rov

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic is TNA for suspending Del Rio for being the victim of domestic abuse.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

(Brock should've won over Bob Sapp)

You generally have to be a rookie to win rookie of the year.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Garbage tends to increase when you wait to retire at least 4 years after everyone realizes you're done

Hell, it can't be ruled out that he'll come back just because he thinks he's capable of having a better last match than that Reigns Mania one, so make it at least 5 years

Taker's worst, ringwork-wise, in the 10s was far better than about 90% of what he did in the 90s and 00s.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That said, I'd also rather watch a Taker 90s/00s feud and matches than the vast majority of stuff that happened in that period.

I love that silly devil zombie wizard biker.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Obviously Goldberg is getting in.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Rey is a much bigger star than Orton and frankly Jericho. Rey made WWE the #1 promotion in Mexico for about 5 years and let them do huge drawing house show tours there along with big ratings.

Rey was also the difference between Smackdown being a top show among Latinos and being average, iirc.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thauros posted:

Dave really should just change the official wording to over/under pushed to clarify the situation and avoid these arguments every single year tho

If Dave cared he would have changed the name over 30 years ago when Hulk Hogan: Most Charismatic Wrestler In The World, was also Most Overrated.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

Why does Bryan call Ernest Miller “Shat”?

it rhymes with cat

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm disappointed we're actually going to get to the part where we talk about shows.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i am so happy to be swerved

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The callers are the #1 reason I don't listen to that show

Still a top contender for the worst televised segment in wrestling history

Nowhere near as bad as the Piper's Family segment.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

As someone with almost zero knowledge of the PPV-era TNA, this is going to be ... quite the journey for me

hello hulkamatt

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

wow i can't believe the monumental podcast has been bought out by WOL

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hulkamatt knowing what he'd be talking about got him the plague. I hate to know what would happen if he knew what he was talking about AND watching.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Monday Night Minor Skirmish (if you get that far) alone could probably be a half-dozen episodes minimum.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shave Seltzer

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

Boy, Randy Orton had a great year at the Observer Awards.

When you're stuck in feuds with the Most Overrated and 5th Most Overrated wrestlers for the majority of the year, there's not much you can do.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

This is a little similar to Showbuckle's Naito video but I really liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaGtnYrQyrk

Naito is probably the best developed wrestling character....ever? :shrug:

Luger from his WCW debut to the Hogan match on the 100th Nitro is up there.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Welcome to The Reddy and Vinny show, with Reddy the Redfish and BIG VINNY V

(And Craig)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So now the Bryan and Vinny (and Craig) show is literally a grandpa being upset about wrestling.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

Faces of Fear?

The Juicy Hammers

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's actually the Fusient guy who pulled out's fault. He clearly had a vendetta against pro wrestling, which is why he almost bought WCW and only backed out when he saw it was a lovely, lovely business that had no remotely viable path to not losing lots of money.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm just rooting for them to do whatever thing with Roman hurts their business most. Because between being in Trump's cabinet, naming an inspirational award after one of the most hateful, selfish human beings to ever exist, trying to name a woman's battle royal after a sex trafficker and sucking the oil out of the KSA's dick I just want this whole stupid company to collapse into a singularity.

(There is a degree of questionable behavior I am prepared to accept from a wrestling company, but they've gone to plaid)

Fun Fact: Since Roman's begun getting 'coronated', WWE's stock has almost quadrupled.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

This angers me greatly.
The stock part. Less so the Roman part.
But I guess if the value of your company keeps going up because of business moves, the actual quality of your product doesn't matter in the slightest.
Unless it's something that involves lawsuits and recalls, but WWE isn't that.
So there's no reason to 'not' push Roman, since they don't actually have to cater to their audience anymore apparently.

Their audience is paying more and more to attend shows, which is more of a sign of approval of WWE's product than any chants or boos will ever be.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

fewer people are paying more

So? The drop in attendance is lower than the increase in ticket prices, so WWE is making more money. It's a business.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

mkay0 posted:

Why are they watching Battlefield Earth?

because bryan alvarez is a terrible person

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

They got into an argument last week about whether this Nitro was the worst thing ever made, Vinny brought up Battlefield Earth and basically goaded Bryan into agreeing to watch it.

Bryan Alvarez will go a long way at great personal cost to himself in order to prove a point, basically.

Bryan and Vinny watched Two-Headed Shark Attack way back when, and Bryan insisted it was the worst movie ever, to which Vinny responded "Battlefield Earth".

Bryan insisted Vinny was wrong until he figured out what Battlefield Earth was, at which point he immediately conceded.

Bryan and Vinny watching Battlefield Earth is like 5 years in the making.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As a fan I think Bryan should leave WWE because that is a far more interesting possibility than anything he can do in WWE, including having an 8000 day reign holding every title.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Holy poo poo Bryan is an employee?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

yeah has to clock in at 8:55 everyday because the timeclock will dock your pay if you clock in at 9am.

According to my watch, he's got 'til five.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I cannot believe SEX wasn't a Russo thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

we recorded a very long show

Is this a joke about SEX, because you're late on that and SEX wasn't anywhere close to as big as Sid Vicious.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

I hope it was a play by play of millennium final

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

It's so much harder for them to strike now. Two rosters that are in the same city once a month plus NXT. Can you get everyone on board so Vince doesn't have enough people to try to put on a show?

Here is why a strike could never succeed.

If Roman doesn't go on strike, WWE can put on a show and Vince wins.

If Roman does go on strike, fans will side with WWE and Vince wins.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, the latest B&V Show is the Nitro where that one fan was just BELLOWING all through Nash's promo about how much he sucked and how HBK was better. I hosed lost it laughing watching that when it originally aired.

Also:

Bryan: Imagine Eric Bischoff is Steve Austin.
Vinny lets out a frightened yelp

I remember MRT making this exact comparison on one of the first Monumental Podcasts as part of his argument that summer 1999 WCW was one of the worst periods in wrestling history.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mike Sanders 2000 is a strong contender for most overpushed wrestler in history.

In the same year of Jeff Jarrett's 2000, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i can't believe impact bought out hulkamatt