Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Dave Meltzer is a gift, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
2000, what a time to be alive. The Natural Born Thrillers as the future of wrestling.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Antitonic posted:

Oof, it's been a while, but here's the Sidewalk Slam for Royal Rumble 2019

"WWE Hall of Famer, Jeff 'Slapnuts' Jarrett"

Some top quality content from Loading Ready Run.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you would absolutely not want a heel you plan to ever do anything with to have that angle.

You realize that the solution to this is not to pay for someone to be give all of the poo poo angles you don't want real people to have, but to not do the bad ideas, right?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Is there anything about proceeds for the shirt going anywhere good? Or are the WWE just going to the bank off it?

It is just a new Roman Reigns shirt (about overcoming cancer).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Wazzu posted:

HHHs attitude at the time was "gently caress Jericho".

HHH is the worst. They are trying to establish him as a star by portraying him as stronger than pretty much everyone but the very top faces, while being a dick all the time. But his form of being a dick is almost always dismissively beating people up.

It is good to see that Triple H learned a lot from Kevin Nash during their period of tutelage.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Like Vince has ever watched TNA.

Jeff Jarrett is working there again.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

Who the gently caress would hate Chuckie T?

The saddest old man who doesn't understand how cool and good Chuck Taylor is.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Raffles posted:

If anyone tries to defend Jim for fantasy booking Dusty Rhodes into the 4th match from the top at the fake biggest wrestling show ever we are gonna fight IRL

It’s hilarious because Jim Corn state hears “WCW vs WWF in 2002” and thinks “70s NWA vs 80s WWF” rather than the literal period of open warfare, because he was always out of touch to a degree.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I am very excited.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I just assume anyone who became a reporter and doesn't try and obviously grift was immutably formed by that specific movie.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:siren: CHUCK TAYLOR SPLAINIA HAS DROPPED :siren:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

This episode is everything I dreamed it to be :swoon:

Fuckin' Jeff was a great guest and I really hope he can monetize Greg's weirdness properly.

G. Raffe was the best investment that Alvarez ever made.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
AEW: Shows without a Rhodes Bleeding: 010

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If Shota returned from excursion as either Stan Hansen or Big Van Vader, he would eclipse even the Rainmaker's brilliance.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

It was indeed GCW

https://www.fite.tv/watch/gcw-backyard-wrestling/2ow8z/

It was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. The fans were all either wrestlers or close friends of wrestlers, too

and NewLegacyInc's John Blud (yes I know he counts as one of the categories you mentioned)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Glad that Bryan could catch the A-show at least.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
TNA: The Promotion That Wouldn't Die.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Did he even move forward an inch? :stare:

I was going to say he cleared the ladder, but because the ladder floats backward on his jump he might not have even had to have forward motion to do that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't remember NXT doing good numbers last time it was on tv. Granted it was on like Syfy or something.

It was also a way better show than it was after it became FCW 2.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
mayo is bad.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Drew Galloway is a really good wrestler, Drew McIntyre is trapped in a lovely prison.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

The first real episode of Wrestlesplania without Kath dropped and I don’t like it :( Who are these people and why should I care

What really sucks is that when the podcast was Kath and Rachel I appreciated Rachel's contribution, but the idea of a podcast without Kath (and hunktears) as guiding forces seems like something I just can't get into. Then I saw the video of the part of the podcast I had the most trouble getting into (the interactions with indie wrestlers) being made more central to the function of it and I've kind of fully checked out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

i'm pretty sure it took a number of weeks for bryan to understand that the fantasy football league was a series of head to head matchups and not just a "who scores the most points" competiton.

um, I am only learning this fact now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It also depends on if the Bucks want to stay over/be pushed versus slowly shifting into a position of high profile losers who focus on making the show run behind the scenes. The Bucks need to get some wins only if the end result is the Bucks as a credible top tier tag team, in which case they should be being booked like SCU, but if they want to be a popular act moving down the card because they are making new stars they can lose a bunch and be absolutely fine.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Bryan and Vinny figuring out what I've known since like season 4 of NXT, Fandango is the bestest.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
but do you tell the patsy that they are a grift or do you tell them you actually believe in them?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I loving love the past.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Five Star Cody winning in the end makes reading the response to his quitting the bad company all the sweeter.

edit: also, uh Holy poo poo was that the same week as the New Day time machine gimmick?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Coaaab posted:

And on that note, let's look back around the timeframe when Cody announced his departure:

So, I'm doing my further reading on this post, but man is it weird seeing people discuss Brandi Rhodes in the context of being a ring announcer (a good one apparently).
Also some notes:
- Rovert has had a parade of haters for Three Years
- was Extreme Rules 2016 any good, the thread seemed cautiously optimistic.
- The Cursed Image (https://i.imgur.com/EV1c3gw.jpg)
- The 2016 version of the "WWE doesn't want you to get over" is just tired and depressing compared to the post-modernism of today's "blame ACH for making a racist shirt"
- It's really cool that in three years Cody Rhodes has gone from having a seeming legion of people happy to dunk on him to being the top star of a promotion on TNT.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I love when Dave facts all over one of his buddies who's completely wrong.

And him talking about a money mark getting bilked while working for Billy loving Corgan is rich as hell.

it's loving hilarious for Jim Cornette, who is literally doing an 80s cosplay wrestling show while the promoter loses money desperate for someone to buy it is complaining about the star-up wrestling promotion that keeps blowing past their conservative estimates because they won't give him a check to say racists dogwhistles on TNT or whatever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Talking about Wrestling Podcasts for a moment, but man, after enduring Tights and Fights ads across McElroy brothers properties I finally tried to listen to it and man, it was the most insincere, faux-positive, bad company shill thing I've ever heard. It started with them admitting that the hosts all hate wrestling fans (including themselves) and then they spend their entire coverage of AEW comparing it to WWE, in like real weird way including a weird metaphor about AEW as a copycat novel to the bad company that would need to find something to set it apart. Like it was weirdly smug and condescending and yet it also missed real obvious things. Anyone got a counter-point, am I just wrong in my read of it. Anyone else even care.

On a good news side of finding podcasts to kill time while cutting myself on glass and vinyl &c. Pinche Rudo, the Rudocast was a very good listen for a first time listener.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

when did all gaming videos on youtube become "I'm going to talk freeform for ten minutes while barely related gameplay footage plays in the background"

Gaming in the Clinton Years implies that has been forever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

dsriggs posted:

I mean, there was also this

90s facecam.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Has Dave decided to co-sign the second NY64?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I Before E posted:

Podcasts can be as long as you need them to be with variable speed

oh god, a friend of mine listens to podcasts at like 1.75 speed and sometimes when he has something he wants me to hear it breaks my brain's ability to process time and my speech pattern increases.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Bryan: Okay so, it stars this guy called "Neo" and, spoiler alert, it turns out he's living in a worked reality.

congratulations on coming up with the comedy beyond "worked hand-off"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

honestly when you listen to him for like 4-5 hours a week you just filter it out after a while

It's also easier when you live that verbiage.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

davidbix posted:

Let's get married! (Also use coupon code SHEETS at Manscaped.com to get free shipping AND save 20%!)

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1188722416723345408

hey bix I've finally figured out how (like rhythmically) to listen to your show.

Your gamergate joke loving rips, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the AEW thread has talked about how Cody is burning through all of the angles/homages he could do in a real short period of time. It seems to me that might be because partially the EVPs are planning on escaping to behind the scenes while they have talent that can lead AEW to success and running out of stories for them isn't so bad because they are here to burn brightly and catch others in the light.