Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are the only good English language commentators in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Karmine posted:

I get what you mean, but there's a big difference between doing a promo in front of 8000 people in an arena and doing one in front of 400 people in a TV studio.

Do that many people show up in time for the Main Event tapings? Huh.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Side Note: Would anyone be interested in doing a podcast specifically about New Japan? I have a New Japan based Facebook page with like 700 followers so there is a good springboard for an audience. I currently do a non-wrestling Podcast so I have equipment, I can edit, etc.

Hell, it’d give me an excuse to catch up on NJPW, so I’d be down with that as long as we could record on weekends.

e:

Gnossiennes posted:

i do like talking about wrestling and don't know any wrestling fans in real life :'(

same tbh

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So if Russo hadn’t come into power, who could’ve replaced Bischoff and potentially saved WCW? The only name that comes to mind rn is Jerry Jarrett.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

His closest competition at the time from memory was Chris Benoit and Kenta Kobashi which is pretty amazing company to be in.

Kawada was 100% better than Triple H in 2000

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

Also he's not scheduled to appear at Wrestlemania.

tbh given that he went out on top in his last Mania match, I don’t blame him for not wanting to go through the whole rigamarole this year

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

You’d think an old school dude like Taker would want to go out on his back

Eh, he went out on his back to DX in Saudi Arabia, and that probably gave him a bigger payday than Mania, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: I mean Kane apparently took the pin but the latter point still stands

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 6, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

here's your regular reminder that Buff Bagwell is associated with one of the greatest themes in the history of professional wrestling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

okay I know WWE does their weird names but you cannot in a million years convince me that Dexter Lumis is a real name

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Only one person has won the Royal Rumble from Number 38, and that's [REDACTED]

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The Big Daddy Yum Yum most improved forums joke is no longer funny to me :(

Oh God loving damnit I had no idea he was a shitlord too

burn wrestling to the ground

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you're defending the sole system that a generational talent like ricochet can't excel in you dont actually like pro wrestling

As we all know, WWE is sports entertainment, not wrestling, and there's no place for a flippy wrestler like Ricochet in a sports entertainment company

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Is that Google Drive archive of Bryan and Vinny songs still up? Been looking for it for a while, but no dice

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

You're thinking of the ring posts

Ah yes, the square ones with sharp corners, as Jericho pointed out the other week

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Hell in a cell was 5* 🙂

yes, and it wasn't as good as either Mania match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

coconono posted:

unless you're gonna book the miz don't talk about the miz.

I'm sure Tony Khan would book Miz in a heartbeat if Vince allowed it

(Vince will not allow it)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

It's an Orange Cassidy situation where if he didn't have the gimmick, he might not be good enough to be a top guy as just a boots-and-tights wrestler, but yes, he's good.

uhhhh, Orange Cassidy was a top guy as a boots-and-tights wrestler, he was just called Fire Ant

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so what you're saying is that Danhausen is wrestling Marmite

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

TNA exists more than NXT UK, which doesn't exist

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, it lets wrestlers have time in the ring so it's definitely not WWE without the production values. If you give Impact one more chance, make it the Ironman Match from this year between Josh Alexander & TJP.

did you really just try to sell TNA to someone by recommending a loving TJP match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

that was a Disco Inferno idea. Never listen to Disco.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf at least none of you are watching wrestling, TV, or especially films on your phones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

(David Lynch remains correct to this day about this)

(yes, this means I would go to the cinema to see a good wrestling show)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I like Danhausen :shrug:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sloop John B and God Only Knows, two songs which definitely weren't from Pet Sounds

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yeah, I suspect HOOK's first loss will be to Danhausen, and that'll be pretty cool imo

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh Raw and Smackdown should just do the NOAH thing and lean in heavily on the over-50s demo

idk who are the best old wrestlers in the US nowadays, but gently caress it, get them all on the main roster, especially Vince, put them over your current main eventers (except for Roman, of course), shift your advertising focus to old people poo poo like easy chairs and shady prescription drugs, and hey presto, you've got the hottest show in sports entertainment once again (amongst geriatrics anyway)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

They're doing the NOAH thing of failing to create new stars and cratering their viewer numbers. Is that what you mean?

Not good enough. Put Edge over Cody for the WWE belt gdi

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also, this is a glass onion

how the gently caress do you look through that

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf it'll be incredibly cool for Quill when he's old enough to remember that, and Johnny'll have fun too

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

keithy george posted:

Using cringe as an adjective rather than a verb is just a sign of modern reddit/chan speak or wherever it came from. Like saying people are “bias” instead of “biased”

ow, you just posted cringe

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Skjorte posted:

Just to clear the good name of Charles Martinet, I think he only says "Marry O" at the start when quoting an executive. Lots of correct Mar E. Os later on in the video...

being from TERF Island, I grew up saying 'Marry-O', and when LPs came about I always found it weird to hear you Yanks calling him 'Mar E. O', to the point where I was never phased by folks like slowbeef calling him 'Mary-O'

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

on a serious note, gently caress linguistic prescriptivism. Language evolves. It is possible to be cringe and post cringe. Get over it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

there is more chance of Seth going to AEW than Mox going back to the Fed, and Seth is never going to AEW

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

that's right, everyone listens to Dark, because it is a wrestling podcast

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

AEWxSesame Street Forbidden Door is going to be wild.

now THAT is corporate synergy

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

He will win the belt at Full Gear by doing something that makes us all go 'oh poo poo, he really is the Devil'. He's still a heel, and he is lulling us into a false sense of security such that the catharsis when he wins will feel more devastating than anything we've ever felt in wrestling.

At least, I hope that's what he's going for. I'm reminded of Blood and Guts, when MJF roared at the camera in anger with his face all bloodied,
and I could only think, holy gently caress, this man is a loving demon. I had never truly felt that about anyone in wrestling before, and I knew then and there that he was going to beat Hangman for the belt. (Granted, that was before Punk came along and hosed everything up, but in an ideal world where Punk didn't come back, MJF would have won the belt from Hangman earlier this year. But that's by the by.)

Now, sure, you could easily call MJF's work over the past couple of weeks bad heel work, or even babyface work, because the crowd's now cheering for him. MJF, the character, meant everything that he said to Regal, because it all happened to MJF, the person, exactly as he said it did. (Likewise with Regal's reply, which made the whole thing one of the best promos of the year.) Sure, after the main event he could have really been acknowledging that actually, he was about to take a shortcut to the top, the Firm was part of that shortcut, and MJF really did fire the Firm. What if, however, he thought of Regal's reply as a challenge, that he should do everything he can at Full Gear to prove that he's the Devil without shortcuts, without the ring, without the obvious and hackneyed 2021 House of Torture bullshit that everyone expected from the Firm? When we inevitably see the Firm on MJF's side at Full Gear, what role are they going to play that doesn't involve beating up Mox while the ref's distracted? How does MJF steal the win from Mox without resorting to the same old heel poo poo, and how does he keep the belt over the coming months without everything falling apart?

I dunno. It'd be the biggest letdown if at Full Gear, actually, MJF was lying, and he's going to beat Mox exactly as we expect, but I am really hoping that MJF wants to do something in that match which we'll never expect, that'll truly make him into the best heel in the world. If Lance Storm doesn't think that'll draw, oh well, that's his problem.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MJF's gonna hold the belt for the next 14 months, make TK think he's going to re-sign until the last second, then he'll sign with the Fed and throw the belt in the bin live on Smackdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

War Machine

I mean, the other guys are (a) not using it anymore (b) a Nazi and a guy, so yes, steal this Tony you coward

e: oh, Marvel probably ruined it, smdh