Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Punch McLightning posted:

Unrelated to anything else, Chris Benoit received 115 points and finished 12th in the voting for the 2007 Thesz/Flair Award.

Yeah, but he was nowhere in 2008. Audiences are so fickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

TO BE FAIR even if he had been called Fang McFrost or whatever, it would have been his name for like 4 weeks before Vince realised how bad it was and changed course. He wasn’t as senile or stubborn in 1996

it would have been his name for like 4 weeks before Vince realised how bad it was and changed it back to The Ringmaster

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

I think they can save it if it turns out that MJF decided a bunch of incels was what he needed after B&B&B failed, and so co-opted the group to use as another impediment to Cody.

Interesting, and you want to complain about the quality of someone else's writing?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

MJF in the Dark Order makes sense and B&B&B failed and now he's look for a new way to hurt Cody. MJF is the exact kind of cult leader that they would follow and he'd be much better than Evil Uno has been.

Daniels can be in as a guy that missed winning the belts then failed to get revenge and hasn't been the same since. He'll join because he's lost now, but later turns on the group and gets back with SCU.

Page joins because MJF convinces him that Cody used him the same way and he wasn't going to get back into the title picture once Cody was in it, and so Page joins DO to help destroy Cody as well.

It makes more sense than just having two jobbers join a group of nameless people that aren't over.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just to pick one detail out of that: you were expecting something more like New Japan, but one of your problems is with goofy stables?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Ah yes, there's a lot in common between even the worst incarnations of Bullet Club and something called "the Dark Order" made of nobodies that do television commercials asking you to join their cult

No goofiness in the stable that featured the original Bone Soldier alongside The Tokyo Pimp, that's for sure.

And Taguchi Japan were always the most serious of fellows.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The fact that people are talking about the poor booking of their best wrestlers like it's comparable to late WCW is telling about some of your perspectives on the business.

You don't get to take your own lovely opinion and round it up to "people".

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Imagine pretending that taking goofball idiot poo poo wrestler Captain New Japan and having him job repeatedly is similar to jobber beatdowns in the main event of your fresh TV program against a company putting over a fresh young babyface talent as the new woman's champion ending a years long reign of terror

Parklife!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

I'm trying to get think of a single man on the aew roster that I'd trade for Orton and the only one I can think of is Hager, and that's not because of Orton.

I would take the lil sad guy from the Dark Order videos over three Randy Ortons.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I can’t fathom how Orton would fit into AEW. He doesn’t have great matches and hasn’t seem overly motivated for years.

I don't want AEW to hire any veteran who is there for a payday. I either want people like Jericho who are there to improve the product and bring credibility, or people like Moxley who are there to have incredible matches. Orton hasn't made a wrestling product better with his presence in his entire career.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Ol' Randall would bust a gasket at being told this, but he's kind of the definition of a 'solid hand'. Like, wrestlers love working with him because he's (usually) professional and crisp and rarely misses a spot or is out of position, but he's never going to push himself to that next level because, let's be honest, if he was able to do it, he would've done so by now.

So you're saying bring him in to tag with Shawn Spears.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oliver Garden is here to stay, Oliver Garden is on his way...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

New Art of Wrestling is up, one of a short run of Colt doing the old interview style, and it's really quite good fun.

He's interviewing Will Ospreay, who comes across as nice, hard working, and (in the nicest possible way) not wonderfully smart. Will reveals he's recently had an ADHD diagnosis, which I'm sure will come across as a huge shock to all of you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dave apparently reporting that a Mania plan is Edge vs Orton lolololol

This is by some distance the single most boring and unsatisfactory thing they could even think of doing. Like, it's been ten years since these two faced each other and I'm already bored of the match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Edited for spoilers

Literally the only singles match I can think of is his match with Cactus Jack at No Holds barred in 2004, and that was all give from Foley.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 27, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Set David Starr on them

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

I think we can all agree despite our differences that Hangman needs to get really fat and keep doing his moonsault and buckshot anyway, because a fat cowboy doing flips is 100% wrestling

Coward Hangman, wrestle in a cowboy hat you never take off but keep doing flips and poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I know it's been out a few days, but Sugar Dunkerton interviewing Faye Jackson for We The Independent is utterly brilliant. What an awesome, important voice and perspective on the industry, and WIDE open about some stuff in a great way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's very fair to say that Jericho has provided significantly more than 3 million in value for AEW, and only a minority of that comes from name recognition. He's done an astonishing job of making the promotion feel big-league through his ring work, his promotional efforts, and his work backstage. Yesterday was the four month anniversary of Dynamite being on the air and it already feels like a permanent part of the wrestling landscape, and Jericho deserves a lot of the thanks for that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

All those names have too much personality. He'd be Chester Harrington, and one day show up to work and be told he's just Harrington now.

My brain just now: "the guy from Linkin Park?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

I don't know if that's that difficult to turn down for the EVPs considering with WWE they'd still have to pay for their own healthcare and travel and never get to see their families. And one of the Bucks would've probably suffered a severe injury by now.

considering the level of shitkicking Matt's back took from a combo ROH/NJPW tour I can't imagine how hosed up a WWE house show tour would make it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The Cody interview that went up last night is one of the best WOR interviews ever. Go listen.

Cody is rightly lauded for his promos, but I think interview may be his absolute strongest suit. I don't know if there is anyone in any company who is a better interview than Cody. I strongly suspect that one of the reasons AEW got to its current level as fast as it did is that Cody is such an excellent and persuasive talker one-on-one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Despite all my rage I'm still looking sad on a train.

(and Mellon Collie is a god tier double album)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

EDIT missed the last post, sorry J-ru.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly I listen to wrestling review podcasts so I don't HAVE to watch WWE's product. I outsourced that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miching Mallecho posted:

It’s such an interesting podcast and I hope Matt becomes a booker after he’s done becomes he has the right mindset for storylines and continuities for pro wrestling.

I actually strongly suspect that one of the reasons for bringing Hardy in is to use him on the creative side. AEW thus far have been very good at bringing people in for a combination of front and back office jobs, and as Hardy is getting closer to the end of his in ring career I suspect they'll have offered him something that taps into his creativity.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Likely there's a downside guarantee but it won't be that much compared to appearance fees.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fez_machine posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1241613839449206787

People say Meltzer is out of touch now, just imagine if he hadn't started going to PWG as late as he did

Is it bad that I'm reading this as Dave swinging?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Raffles posted:

I didn't get this - what was that reference to?

They're spicing up NXT by locking all the talent in a vast sadistic construction that's part-maze part-prison, just to see what happens.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miching Mallecho posted:

Edit: Vince literally wanted him and Rowan to be Demolition. Backstage people brought a picture of demolition and said “this is what Vince wants”

Didn't they literally just gently caress that up with Ascension? Or were they meant to be Road Warriors?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I think within 6 months the AEW podcast ads are going to be Hollywood Handbook level loving around.

Tony and Aubry are kinda goofy, but I think they are going to start having more fun with it.

Aubrey is a massive nerd, and you could see the fun she was having with the Bucks. Once Tony relaxes into it there's going to be serious fuckery.

This is where my mind starts to wander and I envision them getting Colt Cabana and Sarah Shockey involved and just go pure Wrestling Bang Bang

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Bryan (getting Dave's predictions for WM): Corbin vs Elias
Dave: who cares

I was listening to a wrestling podcast (Smart Wrestling Fan) today where they said they weren't going to do Wrestlemania match predictions because there was no guarantee that any of the matches being built up would actually be on the card.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

njsykora posted:

I'm pretty sure given it's all taped now that they're going to show all the matches they're promoting, but if anyone would find a way to do card subject to change on a taped show WWE would be the company.

Weren't they still promoting Reigns being involved literally yesterday?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

They manipulate people by making them think the cult provides them something they need so they just have to suck it up and live with the abuse. The way I see it Evil Uno and the actor who's been doing those videos recruited everyone and convinced them they needed the cult. Brodie Lee didn't show up until they had a bunch of recruits and convinced them they needed to be in the Dark Order. Now he can abuse them because they're locked in, it's part of their identity.

Is this a bit of a logic leap? Yeah, but it's how some cults work and makes sense with what they've done.

I would really love to see them go hardcore with some of these things. Have Brodie run a "struggle session" where he makes the rest of the Dark Order turn on someone and psychologically tear them down. Elevate and excessively praise Grayson, telling the others they need to be more like him, and tell Uno in private to keep tabs on Grayson because Uno is your REAL favourite. Promise greater secrets not yet revealed. Tell each of them something different in private and swear them to secrecy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Wait, so the NWO was a cult too???

Hulk Hogan was a massive cult.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Does Twitch have a premium VOD functionality of any sort? Would be possible for Bryan to move the video subscription service from Vimeo to Twitch?

iirc you can do videos that only paid subscribers get to see.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Talking about recovery and rehabilitation for people with substance abuse problems, and talking about rehabilitation for a kidnapper and rapist are so far apart they might as well be in different languages. The immediate concern with ADR (if he did this and the evidence VERY STRONGLY suggests he did) is keeping people safe from him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Coaaab posted:

they were seriously griping about a heel over face result in the undercard when all the mains went face over heel?

MJF and Cage were in fact the only heels to win on the entire card (and we're not actually sure of Cage's alignment yet).

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh, white CLAWS. I was very confused for a second.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Are White Claws the new hipster thing that everyone’s drinking now but won’t be in six months like la croix or whatever they’re called

A white claw is basically a la croix with alcohol in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you didnt get the vonnegut joke youre a fake vonnegut girl sorry

so it goes