Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks to Karmine for the old thread that lasted as long as it did.

Let this be my lasting impact on the internet.

rip pisscast thread

e: does Nigel McGuinness still do that polyamory podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Then he did the thing he always does where he acts like he knows he's right when he's just realized that he's completely wrong. Once you realize it's a gimmick it's slightly endearing.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

They're giving a man a main event world title push because he was suspended for domestic abuse.

It's a close race, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for voting either way, but WWE is fronting their cancer charity push with someone who once said that he was glad Bobby Heenan had cancer, not to mention all the other lovely horrible things Warrior ever said.

And I mean all the charges against Alberto were dropped. I'm not, in any way whatsoever, trying to defend him or this push, but sadly "if he was THAT bad he'd be in prison!" is how a lot of people think.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Though an argument can be made that TNA made no money on this while Komen probably made a buttload off Warrior.

Yeah it's also important to remember that the breast cancer org in question is a bunch of scummy bullshit too. Like I said it's a close race but the TNA stuff is sort of run of the mill wrestling sleaze. WWE is managing to make partnering with a cancer charity a giant embarrassment. That's an awardworthy achievement imo.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

It is well documented that I am pro-Valentine, but the highlight of his career was definitely Rhythm & Blues.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Kin Corn Karn reference on B&V&G show warmed the very cockles of my heart.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I have always been under the impression that Mike took it upon himself to fill the "insufferable dweeb with dumb opinions" void left by Todd Martin.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Personally I'm really excited for more bad Undertaker segments, and there are a lot of them coming!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

coconono posted:

if you're some dipshit midwest kid, Undertaker was the scariest thing on saturday morning television. The charles manson-esque antics of Undertaker during the early part of the attitude era were pretty much keeping with the character. Also it helps the Taker lived the gimmick in a way that didn't get him arrested or shitfaced in rehab.

I was (and in many ways remain) a dipshit New Englander but I was really never scared of the Undertaker. Maybe it was because he turned babyface not long after I started watching, I dunno.

On the other hand, I used to get so scared I'd leave the room when Papa Shango came out. He made black goo come out of people! Seven year old me didn't need that poo poo!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The best thing Bikertaker ever did was eat a big handful of popcorn in between beating the poo poo out of Maven.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I was listening to best of 2016 the other day and the thing about how if Rock actually got elected president Dave "would like, know the president" and could call him and "tell him what tapes to watch" filled me with so much glee that I almost wanted to call out of work and listen to that clip all day.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

He wanted to see how the Bullet Club merch was selling. What I'm curious about is how (and I guess why) a Hot Topic manager is working the name Dave Meltzer into conversations with his staff.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

All other things equal, Bray vs Finn is the worse feud because Finn is better than Randy so it sucks more that he was in a bad feud.

Plus Randy got smooshed by a fridge and that was cool.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah I feel like the most viable contenders (in wwe) for underrated/underpushed are in either 205 or NXT. Finn's been in bad feuds sure but everyone seems reasonably well slotted on the main roster apart from the aforementioned overpushed people.

e: I feel like they could probably be doing more with Apollo Crews

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Maybe it's like the Freebirds where they only pee on you if they like you

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Sorry for double posting but I'm watching this week's NWA-WCW for the B&V show and long story short I'm hype as gently caress for Starrcade 87.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

mkay0 posted:

Bryan fantasy booked The Iconic Duo as a lesbian team. Surprisingly, he didn’t say anything overly offensive.

B&V (and also Dave, can't fully account for Craig) are not exactly "woke," but they generally know what not to say when it comes to this kind of stuff, probably because a big part of their job is reporting on it when wrestling orgs fail in similar regards.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I had heard a fair bit about what is now known as Post Wrestling ( previously known as Review-a-Wai, I believe). Is there a particular episode from those guys that is a standout to a new listener?

They did best/worst of 2017 shows the past couple of weeks which are basically exactly like the year end episodes of the LAW. Those were ok. I haven't listened to anything else from them yet but I have to believe it's just like their old shows.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

dave: i can lift up michael cole. i ain't tipping over a truck.
bryan: have you tried?
dave: to lift up michael cole? no

"I never met the guy!"

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I'm trying to imagine what worth Hogan has as a draw to counteract his unbelievably negative public profile. If you're gonna spend a bunch of money to bring back an old guy to get a big pop just get Bret or Flair or loving Terry Funk instead and avoid all the backlash.

Maybe I'm off base here but I can't imagine Hogan drawing enough revenue to justify a salary, much less the risk of alienating sponsors, viewers, and shareholders.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

His shop in Orlando is doing very good business by all accounts and wrestling has a long history of welcoming back and forgiving nearly everything

Absolutely true, but what money does WWE stand to make off of Hogan coming back as, say, GM of raw? He can't do matches, he'd be poo poo on commentary, so it's about the best you can get out of him. I obviously don't dare to try and think like Vince McMahon does but putting myself in his shoes the risk vs reward calculation on this one seems pretty imbalanced.

Vince is gonna Vince. The motherfucker is liquidating shares to reenact his most public and gigantic blunder of all time so for all I know he could bring Hulk back and have him do skits with the New Day about whether or not it's ok for white people to say "brother."

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I only got about halfway through the show before I had to go into work but I popped, as I do every year, for Mark making fun of Roman's music.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

hmm yeah if only WWE had some place for talent to develop their skills

I get what you mean, but there's a big difference between doing a promo in front of 8000 people in an arena and doing one in front of 400 people in a TV studio.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"I'm like real observant when it comes to the women" is something he said once and it's sorta colored my perception of Dave ever since.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I'm catching up on old episodes of the MRT and HulkaMatt Power Hour and I really like listening to the sad tale of Fusient having just read the retro observer about the "all but finalized" deal.

Early 2001 was a loving crazy time for wrestling.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

It's not showing up on iTunes either. Dunno if that's helpful information but it's true!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I honestly think those are two separate, equally viable calendars, but that might just be me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dave Meltzer not knowing the difference between a blunt and a joint smdh

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I'm also beginning to suspect that bryan doesn't actually care how it's going, everybody.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I want Dave Meltzer to speak at my wedding but I already got married so now he has to speak at my funeral.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"The penis is not, in fact, injuring Hangman Page."

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Bryan correctly using the word "countenance" on the B&V review of 205 Live was a treat for me for some reason.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

mkay0 posted:

Bryan has a two year old daughter at home. He obviously knows about Frozen. We’ve been #worked

I mean I have a three year old son and I work with kids so I'm definitely incredibly familiar with Frozen, but I too thought Vinny meant jellybeans that had been put in a freezer at first. And we all know about the Bryan Bubble so I'm definitely willing to believe that he was actually lost.

Especially because Frozen is out and Moana is in.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I was browsing through random old observers once and I came across a piece Dave wrote in 1990 about Vince McMahon's baldness fetish and how that's the only reason Hogan ever got pushed and other goofy stuff like that and then when it was done he basically said "I wrote a joke article because I'm sure we're all kinda freaked out about Desert Storm and can use a tension reliever." Dave is something else.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Never forget them watching the icp cowboy filmS

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

There was Big Money Hustlas and Big Money Rustlas if memory serves and my brain thought they were both westerns but one of them not being a western probably makes more sense.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dave clarifying that the Patrick Duffy who diagnosed CM Punk was, in fact, NOT the Patrick Duffy from Dallas and Step by Step is some grade A Dave.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

fart blood posted:

Solomonster's latest podcast has him answering a mailbag question "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

Which one of you goons sent that question?

That's not even a goon thing anymore. I'm not even kidding when I say that the eighth graders I work with argue about it all the time.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"Match canceled because one guy didn't want to pretend that he was banging his mom anymore" and "no match due to rear end tattoo" are all-time highlights of the Vinny V Monday Night War Finish Report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Everything I've read about Steve Austin on this page makes me loving hate him ngl