Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I thought Dave whispering,"Maybe the match was fixed?" was great, then I got to horny Dave eagerly describing the Japanese translator girl to Bryan :allears:

"She's real cute in how she does it, because she writes down what's said and then translates from her notes."

... Which I've seen translators do all the loving time, just say you think she's a real cutie, Dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Has anyone actually managed to understand the logic that has Vince and WWE convinced that the G1 Supercard sell-out is somehow tied into the Observer? Is it literally “they keep talking up how good New Japan is and it’s going viral among the fans!” or something? Because honestly they barely talk ROH on Live or Radio or any of the other shows, so presumably it’s New Japan WWE is worried about getting extra exposure from this event.

But still, where the hell did “they’re somehow responsible for this” come from, Bryan and Dave just started talking about it all of a sudden and the crackdown on the NXT scooping by JJ and now the weird overreaction to the Peyton thing and it’s clear there’s something bouncing around the Stamford offices about this California dude who writes a weekly newsletter. I just can’t figure out what possibly inspired the thought process.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“The two of us, we gonna be MVMT wearin’, Spirit Airlines flyin’, Pinto-ridin’, food-stealin’, griftin’ n’ liftin’, sons of guns, because we’re PARTNERS!”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I could have sworn the reason why he gave Daniel that moment was because he asked in a creative meeting “so what are you doing with Bryan?” and the response was “oh we’re done with that” and he was like “you can’t just leave a guy like that looking like a chump, put him in my segment and I’ll put him over” and because he’s Shawn they went along with it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

There was also apparently the incident where the writers/booking committee were making fun of CM Punk and HBK asked,"Well if you think he's not working shouldn't you come up with something for him so he does? Isn't that your job?"

Shawn can be a lovable rear end in a top hat sometimes, bringing common sense into the equation like that

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

Do you think Dave understood "galactic brain"?

"Well, you, uh, you can't really fit a galaxy inside a skull" *coughs, shifts chair, shuffles papers*

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"Dave, stop rustling through the format sheets"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

There was a period where he would transparently take the opposite stance from Bryan, regardless of what that was.

And usually by the end of the ramble he's managed to go from the contrarian stance to a neutral stance to agreeing with Bryan without evidently ever even noticing it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

They should get Russo to write WWE.

By which I mean the Russo Brothers.

If you've ever seen the one movie they've written, you would know this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Although they're already used to doing exactly what someone above them tells them what to do and express no real ideas of their own as directors, so maybe they're perfect for WWE

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It would have looked like that Mania where chunks of the crowd got up and left during the main event because lol Lesnar/Reigns again

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

It's going to be very fun

I need to listen to more Wrestlesplania also. Only started getting into it/listening very recently with the Kris Wolf guest appearance

their intro to joshi episode is a must-listen, I think it's both's introduction to All-Japan Women's (and I think Kath hadn't really seen much STARDOM prior either?)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wish I could enjoy lapsed fan. It seems like there is something really good there once you get past how horribly repellant the hosts are.

JP definitely puts his journalism degree and apparently complete set of Wrestling Observer issues to work on big things like this, that stuff always turns out well, the question is whether or not you’ll end up with a four hour podcast that’s mostly info and interesting talk or if you’ll get two hours of Jack yelling like Vince or Verne or someone and JP laughing like a hyena about two inches from his mic

Unfortunately most of the time it’s the latter, but sometimes it’s the former and the show is great when that happens

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

The Von Erichs eps are legit great and were fascinatingly/horrifyingly in-depth

I probably would have felt the same way about the Benoit eps if I hadn't already known 95% of the info

When they take on something about 80% seriously or more, they tend to shine - jokey, but not weighed down with a bunch of bits and characters, and a nice crossover of personal recollections of the time when the subject happened and the reporting that surrounded it.

Anything less and it always is a few inches from being a horrible grease fire of a podcast

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:hmmyes:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Karmine posted:

“And it’s nothing against Baron Corbin. He’s average. . .ish. He’s boring. And when he’s on tv I’m not excited.”

I’m paraphrasing but Dave, just admit that he fuckin sucks dude.

You gotta remember the depths of bad Dave has seen

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That Road To the DOME~! match is loving incredible and basically is Kota and Kenny spending 80% of the match having Ospreay kick out of ridiculous moves and get 2.9s while Tanahashi pops in and does some Tanahashi

jesus WEP posted:

That’s the match where he stuck the landing on an Ibushi rana that went viral yeah?

It's that one, yeah. Also the one where Tana does the High Fly Flow and Ospreay immediately follows it up with the Shooting Star Press, and also the mirror Germans, and also the Poison Rana/Jay Driller/Last Ride Sitout combo, and also...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I even forgot that right before the HFF/SSP combo the Lovers are going for the Golden Shower and Ospreay catches them in a double Spanish Fly.

A DOUBLE SPANISH FLY OFF THE TOP AS A SETUP.

That much was bugfuck nuts. Might be the best call Charlton's personally done. INDYTAAAAAKEEEEEEER

Also I got it wrong, it was poison rana/Last Ride/Jay Driller and then they're like "well now what do we do"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I really, really do not want to look at the replies to that

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Is 83 Weeks any good? I haven't listened to too many of the Conrad-based podcasts but i started reading Death of WCW and it's got me sort of interested in that whole period. Are there good backstage stories or is it just Eric blaming everybody else? Any standout eps to start with?

It’s Eric yelling about Dave and being like “well that’s not how it happened/I was forced into a corner and this was the best option left” from what I have gathered

So the latter

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

“Bro I’m such a genius even I don’t know what’s gonna happen!”

‘What you don’t undahstand, is that... you don’t hafta undahstand!”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

Can't say enough good things about the Sammy Guevara interview, it's loving hysterical.

“You are a tremendous douchebag.”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

coconono posted:

Wasn’t the flamethrower thing just a fundraiser operation for privatized city busses? I remember there was an end goal to it other than giving rich idiots flamethrowers.

Single-car width tunnels with platforms that go very fast, all because Musk is a weirdo who is uncomfortable being on public transportation with the unwashed masses

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

This has nothing to do with being sued though?

I’m guessing that’s an autocorrect from “screwed”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

OctoberCountry posted:

I had a really good laugh during this week's Voices of Wrestling podcast at Joe Lanza constantly insisting we've already reached the peak of coronavirus hysteria

Lanza also couldn’t understand for the life of him why 20 million people might tune into a political debate

The bubble Joe seems completely unaware that he’s in makes for some good comedy

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah they’re not gonna complain about a guy going “I was about to do something REALLY stupid but then Disney talked me down from doing it and just going on hiatus instead”.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He mentioned being immunocompromised and living like a mile from that nursing home that ended up being the canary in the pandemic coal mine and that he basically hasn’t left the house at all a couple of weeks ago

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

So Meltzer said on WOR that the Liv/Lana thing was a Paul Heyman idea and was literally planned to have no follow-up. Which is... what the Christ?

It was a cleaned up version of the Beulah/Kimona moment in ECW that ends in a catfight instead of making out, of course there was no plan for a follow-up, he never had a clue what the hell to do with it the first time around

I feel weird that nobody else ever noticed, it's filtered through Vince's brain (so instead of having people who can talk handle that end, they give Lana and Liv mics and bad dialogue to learn by rote), but it's very clearly that moment

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dave, sobbing, quietly whispering “go... ace!”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean, “beat the poo poo out of” is underselling it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’ll put it behind spoilers because whew, son, it’s bad, but he Beat the poo poo out of a woman, threatened to kidnap her son and drop him off in the middle of a road somewhere, tied her up, shoved a sock in her mouth and proceeded to sexually assault her for hours with various objects, punched her in the back to the point of visible injury, and the victim doesn’t remember much else because he choked her into unconsciousness at some point from there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't he get Juice into the dojo? Or was that Albert?

I know Regal is why Liger did that one Takeover, I assume they know each other from Liger's excursion here.

It was Albert. Juice went to him and was like “y’know, I don’t think I’m gonna go anywhere here, and I wanna go out and try to take a shot out in the indies” and Albert was like “I get it, I understand, I’ll pass on that you’re looking to leave.” He then suggested to try Japan, and if he needed any help he could make some calls.

Whatever he told Tiger was big, because Juice didn’t get offered a spot in the dojo, he got offered a main roster spot. Juice decided he wanted to go through the dojo to “unlearn” the WWE style and get how to put together a match in front of a completely different audience.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah that’s the match where they do their finishers in the first minute or two and then slowly drag out the next twenty-something minutes. I also think that’s the one where the blood feud had a “title changes hand on a DQ” instead of doing no DQ to blow off a feud that involved home invasion and Orton knocking Stephanie out and all sorts of nonsense.

It also went on almost right after Taker/Michaels. There might have been a women’s match in between.

edit: speaking of “title changes hand on DQ” matches, the only good one I can even think of that engages the gimmick as anything more than a vague threat is Orton/Christian, where Christian pissed Orton off enough that he just kicked him in the nuts right in front of the referee and lost the match.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“I mean, ah... it’s always a place in every restaurant, you know, where you go and sit down and eat food.”
“I know what a restaurant is, Dave.”
*ignores him* “I mean not every restaurant has a place where you can eat food, especially nowadays! Sometimes it’s takeout only. Like... so in 1973...”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A way to keep basketball from just turning into a game of keep-away

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Terminator isnt even an action movie! Its a sci fi horror thriller!

I mean, Heat is on there and that’s a loving crime drama way more than it’s an action movie.

This feels like it would be less ridiculous seeming as a “Dude Flicks” tournament than ascribing itself to an actual genre.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It was Taker who told him it looked like poo poo. Backlund called the spot, Nash did it, got backstage and Taker was literally waiting for him and said “what the hell was that sunset flip? Don’t ever do that again.” Nash replied, “it looked that bad?” To which Taker replied, “your feet were still on the mat when your head was already past his rear end. Yes, it looked like poo poo.”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So, look, I mean, uh, I don’t want to buy or sell anything bought, sold, or processed, although I mean you can always buy or sell something processed, that’s how it’s been; I don’t want to sell anything bought, because, y’know, it’s been bought - but I also don’t wanna sell anything processed or... bought and sold; and, uh, *coughing* I don’t... I don’t wanna process anything, well, not anything, I mean there are some things, bought or sold or processed, and, uh, I don’t wanna repair - there are some things that need to be repaired, though, because sometimes things break, this goes back to 1968 and Harley - Harley broke an iron, once, said he bought it, regretted it, tried to repair it, found out it was processed and tossed it out, no sold it, and anyway, I just wanna spend time with your daughter, sir.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

People also seem to be weirdly freaking out over Gedo... doing very similar booking to how he ran Naito’s end of 2019.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s pretty much Naito’s reasoning in the press conference. He presents it as Jay pulled a chickenshit move and basically stole the shot so he’s like “you can wait”, and he also just wants to beat up Ibushi first because he’s pissed that Ibushi looks like he’s better at the G1 than him since he won back to back and did three consecutive finals and Naito’s never managed that. So it’s a little bit of being a fair champion and a little bit of “hey you gently caress, don’t you outshine me, I wanna put you down where you belong before I attend to this annoying pecking bird named Jay White”.

Naito also threatened to boycott the shows if he didn’t get his way. Because of course he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, was this the period where Bret Hart got put on John Cena's Team of Stupid loving Idiots?

That’s eight months from where they’re covering, this is when Vince kicks him in the dick to close the RAW where he comes back to set up the (interminable) Mania match.