Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

EdsTeioh posted:

I may give it another shot...how's the CM Punk one?

Not very good because Prichard wasn't around for most of Punk's run. It was pretty dumb that that topic got voted for in the first place. I think the podcast in general is a must-listen each week, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

His apology is loving hilarious. I’m like fifteen minutes in but this apparently lasts for thirty-six?

“I know I shouldn’t have said it, but other people have said way worse, and I get furious at them! I know it’s probably not smart to apologize publicly, and a bunch of people told me *not* to apologize, but I’m sorry, but also hey I could’ve said worse right?”

It’s incredible that so much of his apology centers on how attractive he actually finds Peyton and all the other women wrestlers. Which is an impressive attempt at missing the point entirely.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Dave should have said "I'd like to apologize in person - when can we meet in Dubai?" and left it at that

Uh, sure, sick burn that would be. Two things can be wrong at the same time, this isn’t zero-sum. WWE can be a lovely, hypocritical company from the top down *and* Dave can be a tone-deaf idiot who doesn’t know how to apologize when he’s called out for saying something sexist. This in turn can exist separately from his good opinions/intentions as it pertains to women’s wrestling as a whole and worker’s rights in general.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Your Parents posted:

tbh its pretty ableist to poo poo on dave for this.

That’s actually a fair point and I apologize

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I never equated the two, I only said that two things can be bad simultaneously and that criticizing one doesn’t mean endorsing or ignoring the other. It’s a pretty disingenuous way to approach a disagreement. Let me guess, I can’t rail against late-stage capitalism from an iPhone either, can I?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

True....drat......

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

VJeff posted:

In one stroke, you disregarded his genuine attempt to be contrite and disregarded the actual good he does as an advocate for workers in the wrestling industry to do the "both are bad" shtick, so yeah, I feel comfortable saying you equated them.

Like, dude. This isn't Hogan going "I'm sorry I got caught." or Russo going "How dare you criticize my parents and the way they raised me I'll have you know I know gay people." He is actually trying to apologize. How about loving meeting someone thats trying to be genuine half way.

I guess I disagree his apology is genuine. I mean, the guy took over a half-hour with his trademark parade of tangents to essentially say “I was wrong, I apologize, a lot of people told me I shouldn’t have apologized, but I did, here’s all the ways I’ve been good otherwise, and look hey here are some other reasons why me discussing her body was valid, it’s a looks business and hey that’s just part of it!”

I believe that he believes that he misspoke and said something dumb. I don’t truly believe he actually understands what part of what he said is inappropriate. I also think it’s lovely that he can’t help but drop in the whole “a lot of people don’t think I should be doing this!” thing that is basically a wink and nod to his listenership that their feelings, if they run counter to Peyton Royce’s, are still valid.

I don’t think he’s a bad person, it’s not going to make me unsubscribe, but I think the criticism is fair.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The thirty minute tangents things is part of what makes the shows so entertaining. It was funny to listen to him get derailed almost immediately into the Neidhart retrospective.

But I guess my point is this. When you do something lovely, it’s not wrong for someone to call you out, and when you apologize and the apology kinda sucks, it’s not wrong to get called out on that either. Doesn’t have to be a referendum on the totality of the person.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

You're definitely right about PR people being scumbags but unfortunately there's more than just numbers on their side in this one, and as our friend illcendiary has shown us here, a botched apology does one no favors even when you try to speak as from the heart as someone like Dave possibly can.

Believe me, I wish it was another way and it's ultimately why I didn't end up pursuing a career in PR. It reminded me of sales in the sense that your job was to willfully ignore decent human values in order to sell your product/image to the consumers at large.

The long and short of the argument why you don't apologize though is that you admit fault (which can create a recurring crisis), won't gain you any new followers, and if the apology goes badly could hurt your reputation even further (see our friend illcendiary).

If your only concern is reputation and keeping followers and not actual contrition, then sure.

I’m re-listening to the opening minutes of his apology tour and my assessment of him not being genuine is a little harsh, so I apologize for that. I think the long and short of it is that he just struggles so mightily to speak with grace that everything sounds so awkward.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Something something in the Tokyo Dome

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Attitude Era podcast is like OSW with less video and less all that bad poo poo.

They're awesome, and I really enjoy their Patreon series as well (Smackdown Crawl, "Bibilo-tech" where one of the guys reviews wrestling-related books, occasional videos). They keep the "I think I'm really funny" to a minimum, which is part of what makes OSW, Lapsed Fan, et al unlistenable (in my opinion).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bryan’s wrong about the fatal thing right? They’ve probably misused it for matches in the past (including WM2000), but in modern use it denotes one fall to a finish?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

*Bryan voice* are you kiddin me? Get outta here

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

Anyone use downcast to listen to the observer? For the life of me I can't get my account signed in no matter what I do.

This issue is the reason that I switched to Overcast a few years back, so it's not just you. Not sure if there's a fix now though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Lol jesus this guy on Wrestlesplania is loving unbearable

Edit: fuckin, lol, fuckin jesus, fuckin, this guy, fuckin, on Wrestlesplania like, fuckin, is fuckin, loving unbearable

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 1, 2019

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

yea ok posted:

what was the final straw for getting rid of callers on WOL?

It seems like they have a really lovely way of screening/queueing calls. I get Bryan’s schtick of calling everyone and everything an idiot but if it keeps confusing people maybe the problem isn’t with them.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bryan disingenuously misinterpreting what a nervous/trying to be funny caller said was like half the fun of that show though. I guess now I can look forward to him disingenuously misinterpreting texts.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

“That wasn’t snake oil you idiot, are you kiddin me? It was ah-sum!”

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

What’s the big deal? It’s a few minutes, max.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Oh god what did they say about Toy Story. The constant deliberate misunderstanding is funny but what a tedious existence

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Okay I hadn’t seen that episode but jesus you pull up the thumbnail on YouTube and come on hahaha

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bryan is still going to find some way to be snarky about this tomorrow and it’s gonna be hilarious

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

AEW have made diversity and progressivism a core part of their marketing, you cannot do that and coax trump voters at the same time, because you’ll lose both

If I’m Tony or Cody I’m screaming my head off about this right now

I doubt it. There’s only a few choices and they’re rightly confident that people will, generally, stick it out with AEW

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

as someone who has had to sent corrections to dave many times over the years for dragon gate and owe things, this is one of his biggest failings. he doesn't personally verify everything in the newsletter and is willing to just print what he sees at face value.

It’s not surprising considering the sheer volume of stuff he puts out. That’s the trade-off of not having very many people covering the breadth of stuff that he does - you end up with a mass of stuff with some errors, or certain things not getting coverage at all

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

All this discussion reminds me of the super lame Ambrose-Lesnar buildup to WM32 with the chainsaw hahaha

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

A way more interesting point of discussion on the podcast was how the Full Gear numbers will turn out, and how AEW's PPV buys will relate to their TV numbers and their initial pre-TV run of PPVs. That is to say, having a TV show might end up depressing PPV buys relative to those first couple because the general public has multiple avenues to watch these guys now. It's a good problem to have and probably worth keeping in mind in case people decide to freak out about a lower than expected number later this week.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Legit excited for Bryan to get bullied every time he doesn’t like an AEW main event

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I won’t stop I have to defend them

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bring it on haters 😤👍👍

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

4.5 stars is pretty generous for a match that bryan and dave were both apparently sobbing at and demanding be banned or whatever everyone was mad about

They’re not telling anyone, but the rating for that match is secretly out of 10

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I Before E posted:

I moved to Foobar like a decade ago but Winamp still holds good memories

I mostly miss the MilkDrop visualizer

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Konnan a reliable source? Came cross this clip randomly where he talks about Rey and Vince and claims Vince called Rey a "pepperbelly" (an anti-Mexican slur) back when they gave him the title.

Now I don't doubt Vince is racist as gently caress, I'm just always wary of anecdotes from wrestlers. He's also talking to Disco who everyone on here says is full of poo poo.

Where the hell is this slur even used, I’m Mexican-American and have heard most of them and this is new to me

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

:stonk: well that’s a new concept but not surprising I guess

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Dan wins on the egg whites story alone

What was that story again? Lol I stopped listening to Giant Bomb because of Dan so maybe I can start again

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

That’s right lmao

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Wazzu posted:

The B&V show generally drops while I'm at work, is there a way to get an update when it's been uploaded, rather than refreshing their site?

Overcast updates automatically

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Wazzu posted:

Himself or Wikipedia, I know who I believe.

That was a weird loving story that made....very little sense to me, really. But..... good on you, Darby?

Seriously what the hell was going on with that story haha. He even cut in at the end to make sure he could tell it. Something about getting pepper sprayed by Avenged Sevenfold??

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I thought the Darby poo poo was weird on WOR so it’s not surprising he said weird stuff on the Jericho podcast too. Kinda turned off by his “hurr durr everything I’m not involved in is lame as poo poo” demeanor

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

This is a good listen, I’m like 15 minutes in and he diarrhea crapped in a pizza box, cooked food on a George Foreman grill in an Anytime Fitness (because he doesn’t care what people think), and paid a drug addict $3 to gargle in a poo poo-filled toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

large_gourd posted:

it seems like he might just be making a bunch of stuff up about making GBS threads on homeless people's faces or whatever it is, which is actually extremely cool and totally random. like this guy's crazy. what's he gonna do next

Probably poo poo on something else. He has ticked off a number of "things I have poo poo on" boxes:

-pizza box
-homeless people
-people whose wrestling goals don't align with his

He did mention being in a car accident that killed his uncle which is incredibly sad :(