Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

PCC. Pistol-caliber carbine. A new term for an old idea. We could go back and talk about all the old lever guns that shot the same pistol cartridges as the revolvers of the day, or the marlin camp carbine that took 1911 mags, or the crazy weird calicos, but lets talk about the modern interpretations that have been taking off over the last few years and are now a decently healthy chunk of the american market.

We can probably put a pin in the start of the modern PCC in the 1960s (you might could convince me that the UZI is applicable here too) with the genesis of the MP5, but the main trend these days is in AR-platform (or AR-esque) guns. These can trace a heritage back to the 1980s when Colt decided they wanted to get in on the law-enforcement submachine gun market and produced the creatively named "Colt SMG."

A version of which became the rare R0633 DOE Colt that everyone loves.

Up until a few years ago, there were only a few limited options for AR-pattern PCCs. Almost all of them followed the general pattern of the Colts (and in fact Colt has sold a civilian version since the late 80s) in that they used magazine blocks to adapt the large magwell of the AR-15 to the modified UZI pattern magazines of the 9mm carbines. In 2011ish a company called "Double Diamond LE Supply" released a new custom lower that featured a smaller magwell that did not require the use of mag-blocks. They also released a lower that accepted Glock magazines which really started getting people excited.

Like most small shops in this industry, they put out a good product, but were terrible at actual business, and by 2013 among complaints all over internet forums stopped delivering product that had been paid for and answering the phone. Luckily the machine shop that had been doing DDLES' work bought out the designs and became one of the big players in the modern AR-PCC market, Quarter Circle 10.

My PCC journey starts right there, right as QC10 took over, before they even had a website up. I ordered a colt smg magazine pattern lower over the phone and waited patiently a few weeks while they got production up and running again.

Once the lower came in, I built the gun as a pistol so I could function check everything (this was right before the sig-brace was released) before submitting the Form 1 to SBR it.

In they heady period of few months when Form 1 e-forms were working, I got SBR approval in right at 3 months, and made it a two stamp gun by letting it wear my Osprey45 when I wasn't using it on my FNX-T

Since I can't leave well enough alone, I swapped out the ACE SOCOM stock for a Maxim Defense PDW when they announced it came with a custom cut-down JP captured recoil spring. I don't care if the JP's are expensive, I love them and you can't make me not!

And things were good.....for a time. I grew tired of swapping the piston out on the Osprey...and then I waited for an entire year and then I waited for an entire two days after that year, and I think I can finally say....it's perfect.

Wait, crap, no, that's not safe....

There we go. Silencerco Omega9K with sico's new low profile 3-lug mount, on a TROS USA 5.5 3-lug barrel.

Now it's your turn! Lets see them PCCs! Calicos, Hi-Points, Kel-Tecs, Berettas, JPs and QC10s!

Pee See See Megathread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

PCCs do not get enough love and I'm glad this thread exists.

Today I bought this thing:

It's not gonna look like that when I'm done with it, though.

Previously built PC-ish C's:

.44 caplock:

.45 ACP ++++P:

.357 maximum/.38: (on the left) (only one on the list I've killed a deer with) (yet)

~tactical~ (thanks miso)

Sadly I have no photos of my .44 build yet. But soon!

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

Love me some PCCs

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Javid posted:

.45 ACP ++++P:

Oh gently caress yes. I remember this guy.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

I don't have a PCC yet, but I got to shoot wkarma's before it had its super cute TROS barrel

T-man caught me in full recoil.

Final thoughts:

1) Shooting stuff is fun

2) Pistols are pistols and also sometimes rifles

3) Suppress everything

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

That package is pretty rad, OP. I really need to get one of those flush trilug mounts for my 9K too.

Probably my most fun rifle?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

"I'm sorry Mr. CFO, we have found numerous errors in your Form 10-K, so now I must introduce you to my 5K."

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

Yesss...
I am currently in the "waiting for my Form 1 approval" phase where this guy sits as a pistol. It is pretty rad.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Some PCCs are hotter than the sun; some are colder than ice.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I like cans. I like MP5s.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm trying to steer my spending away from guns but I still have a giant MP5 shaped hole in my heart I need to fill

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Daydreaming about taking something like this and dressing it up like a Sterling, classy old wood furniture. I'm glad I don't shoot enough to justify actually doing it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've owned a few PCC's over the years. Most were subguns.

First I bought a Vector Uzi in 2002 for $2800(!), about 6 months before Vector ran out of the transferable receivers.

Then I bought an RDIAS in 2005. Figured I might as well get a 9mm upper and a drop-in magwell for it too. Then I sold the RDIAS for an M16, but kept the 9mm upper.

Later I also got a Micro Uzi.

Shooting it about 10 years ago at a machine gun shoot. Count the brass. Was over 2000 rpm with the closed bolt.

I also bought an ex-CA DOJ HK94.

I had the barrel cut down and 3-lugged, and married the gun to a Fleming sear in a 4-position trigger pack.

Then over the next few years I ended up selling everything but the Uzi.

Uzi now:

But since I liked the M16 in 9mm, I built a 9mm AR15 SBR PCC off a DDLES/QC10 receiver. Most of the time I shoot it unsuppressed in USPSA PCC division.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Sometimes PCCs are silly.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

Where are all the scorpions at?

I have my form 1 in and suppressor soon.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

...did you put aperture sights on your hi-point carbine?

(That's awesome)

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Aw yeah

Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm and a QC10 9mm sbr.

Also on topic, I'm resisting the urge to buy one of these to run on the QC10. Seems like a good deal with the mags, bolt, and flashlight.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Final Blog Entry posted:

Also on topic, I'm resisting the urge to buy one of these to run on the QC10. Seems like a good deal with the mags, bolt, and flashlight.
Seems overpriced to me, unless you really want a retro A1 upper with plastic handguards and what's likely a light with an incandescent bulb.

You can get five brand new 32-round Colt-style mags from Brownells for under $150, and new LED light for under $100. You can build/buy a 9mm flattop upper for $325ish.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

Seems overpriced to me, unless you really want a retro A1 upper with plastic handguards and what's likely a light with an incandescent bulb.

You can get five brand new 32-round Colt-style mags from Brownells for under $150, and new LED light for under $100. You can build/buy a 9mm flattop upper for $325ish.

On the other hand, that would be the ballin'est setup with an Aimpoint in a gooseneck.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for posting these nice things. It is time to look at moving.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Craptacular posted:

Later I also got a Micro Uzi.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Do braces get to play in this thread?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Better send a letter to the ATF tech branch first to make sure posting your pistol in a carbine thread doesn't constitute an illegal redesign into an sbr

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

stgdz posted:

Do braces get to play in this thread?

They already have!

In other news, QC10 released their "QC5" lower that takes MP5 mags. It looks interesting, but no BHO obviously. Some shots it's very mp5-y, but built small it almost has skorpion lines.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 6, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

still regret not buying this off my bro-in-law (the upper, not the machinegun lower, which I also regret not buying but could never have afforded in the first place)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Biscuit Hider

Wicked hot colour scheme!

Here is my Canadian market CX4 storm. It has an 18.5" barrel to keep it non restricted, meaning I can use it in places other than an approved range. Our silly mag limit laws would normally restrict the magazines to 5 rounds (mags for center fire semi auto rifles), but a nice quirk is that they don't make magazines for the CX4 storm, the rifle uses magazines designed for handguns, which are limited to 10 rounds. Sad they are still limited to 10, but it is the best we can hope for up here.

Also sad: no suppressors allowed (those are hit man tools don'tcha know?)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Don't have, but want:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p.php?id=202

Uses 92fs mags, and while it's still a Chiappa, that's a lateral move at worst from this hi-point which looks like a black plastic turd. Kicking myself for forgetting these existed and buying the hi-point instead.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

wkarma posted:

They already have!

In other news, QC10 released their "QC5" lower that takes MP5 mags. It looks interesting, but no BHO obviously. Some shots it's very mp5-y, but built small it almost has skorpion lines.

Just finished putting one together today with the QC5 receiver set. Haven't shot it yet, but I like the lines on it. I have a Scorpion pistol I'm form 1'ing, so I'll probably leave this guy rifle length.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Mine is a simple gun, PSA up and down, 16". I just use it for matches, hasn't blown up yet.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

PCC crew reppin. Weather has been poo poo lately so enjoy an indoor potato pic.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Facebook tells me QC10 has a 25% off everything sale starting midnight AZ time. Because AZ is weird on timezones, I had to go double check that this means midnight mountain time right now.

Supposedly it will include their new side-charging upper. (which is a gibbz pattern, but with a unique charging handle and I think their pistol-case sized ejection port.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

I love my Scorpion

Form 1'd with the factory stock, plus an Aimpoint Micro H-1

I've got the HBI Trigger Spring kit but I've never bothered installing it and I hear it's a huge pain to do. The trigger is BALLS though so I really ought to.

I did put on the Right Side Safety Delete with was a lifesaver.

The lady liked it so much she genuinely started laughing after a magdump

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Hbi springs really make a huge difference. I wanted to go to the range with mine today for the first time in SBR form but ran out of time. Next week!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Someone said the hbi springs gently caress with the reset. Is there any truth to that?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Why do mag blocks suck?

I know there is a reason why people don't run these more but I'm curious as to what it is.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

stgdz posted:

Why do mag blocks suck?

I know there is a reason why people don't run these more but I'm curious as to what it is.

They work... but the top-load kind don't work with BHO, and the bottom-load blocks require removal of the bolt release roll pin.

Also they look funny.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

wkarma posted:

Also they look funny.

no u

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Javid posted:

Don't have, but want:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p.php?id=202

Uses 92fs mags, and while it's still a Chiappa, that's a lateral move at worst from this hi-point which looks like a black plastic turd. Kicking myself for forgetting these existed and buying the hi-point instead.

I hear terrible things about the reliability of these, and their ability to cycle. My buddy's take on it was 'I'd rather have a 10/22 in a dress-up kit'. The Hi-Point may have been the better deal.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bummey posted:

Someone said the hbi springs gently caress with the reset. Is there any truth to that?

Not as far as I have seen? I only have about 300 rounds through mine since installing them and maybe 600-700 rounds total through the gun. Zero malfunctions of any kind so far. I'll try to put another 200 or so through the CZ next week.

I do remember reading online some people had issues, if I remember right I think some of them were improper installation, and some were the springs getting dirty/gummed up and slowing down since they aren't as strong as stock.