Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«17 »
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

Statutory Ape posted:

its crazy how far we've come with consumer technology, like, i can play dark forces on my phone

still a pain in the rear end to print from a computer ????

To be fair, playing an FPS on a touchscreen can be described as being a pain in the rear end.

And printing is pretty deprecated at this point.

ded posted:

Ah that would work. I'm already using a Pi for pihole.

Ooh, since you mentioned it, that reminded me, I've been meaning to set up a Pi-Hole myself! One of these days....

Hadlock posted:

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Basically this. We still have a nice printer in the house, a color laser, networked, duplexing, MFP (everything but GCP, basically,) from back during the fringes of when you'd seriously consider having a printer in the house mandatory, but it's mostly sitting there collecting dust. The last thing I used it for was printing a form for a rebate (which is getting me $50, so that's pretty great) but even then, almost everything like that that needs to be printed can be done at work. Aside from maybe another rebate, I can't remember the last thing that had to be printed.

Hadlock posted:

The last thing I printed, ever, was some race instructions for a outdoor race, and some maps to distribute to my crew. That was in like early June. Before that was a mail in rebate. Both were done at the office. Prior to that was a paper resume back in like June 2017. I can't possibly imagine dedicating a permanent spot in mind house for a thing I use twice a year, let alone pay for it, and wasting my time maintaining it and probably buying new ink due to it going stale from lack of use.

I agree, once my last printer dies it's not going to be replaced, there's just no reason to have one anymore as long as you can print somewhere else on the rare occasion where you'd want to. By the way, ink doesn't "go stale" because it's not food but it could certainly dry out, but toner doesn't have that problem. Not that any of that matters anymore, of course.

I had an HP LaserJet 4 Plus in my bedroom, a ~1993-vintage printer (received about 15 years ago) that still worked when I finally got rid of it at a computer recycling thing. The duplexer for it was my first purchase on eBay, but I just couldn't justify keeping it around anymore as I hadn't printed anything to it in years. It was a shame, those things were tanks and could probably last forever, but I really had no use for it.

Hadlock posted:

You can cut your hair at home by yourself with a flowbie but nobody does it, you pay for that service because it's a waste of your time and space in your house. I could make frozen margaritas or french fries at my house if I bought the machine for it, and use it twice a year but instead I pay a tiny bit extra for someone else to do it.

TL;DR printers are dumb and you should feel bad, and your flowbie haircut looks stupid.

I had to Google this, I had no loving idea what a "flowbee" was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I got my c302CA today and I'm really enjoying it. I can see why maybe 16:10 might have been better and how 3:2 might have been better for tablet mode. I don't mind though, I'd much rather have the wider keyboard. Though it does feel weird that my new chromebook is behind my 3 year old chromebook in both both version and kernel.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The Real Stephen Hawking posted:

I am not afraid of death, but I am in no hurry to die.

Stephen Hawking will return after these brief messages.

Fun Shoe

I just did some quick math and the money I've saved cutting my own hair over the last 2 years paid for my c302.

Printers are not haircuts you galoot. It's not hard to give yourself a good fade, but it is hard to troubleshoot consumer grade printer drivers and networking.

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

post ur haircut

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'm here to kiss tittiess and win football games!

Pillbug

3D print your haircut

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where the hell are the new acer chrome books?! I want a 13 with the HD screen

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Today I learned the Pixelbook does not have a graceful way to handle when the battery is too dead to power up, like how a Mac or iPad will display a charging icon on-screen until there's enough juice to safely boot.

The Pixelbook just sits there and flashes the keyboard backlight erratically for a while. I assumed there was a hardware failure of some sort. In the time it took to open a chat session with support and get someone on the line, it had charged up enough to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

kitten smoothie posted:

Today I learned the Pixelbook does not have a graceful way to handle when the battery is too dead to power up, like how a Mac or iPad will display a charging icon on-screen until there's enough juice to safely boot.

The Pixelbook just sits there and flashes the keyboard backlight erratically for a while. I assumed there was a hardware failure of some sort. In the time it took to open a chat session with support and get someone on the line, it had charged up enough to boot.

That applies to some other devices (phones, laptops, etc.) as well; some devices just need a charge before they'll start working at all, even if you're subsequently using them off mains power while they're simultaneously continuing to charge. The behavior might differ if you were to use a greater power supply (e.g. if it comes with a 60 W one, a separate 100 W supply might allow it to power up immediately.)

«17 »