Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«30 »
NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

UncleGuito posted:

Got my Duet earlier today after a delay with my BB preorder. Initial impressions are fantastic- can't believe this thing is < $300! The build quality is fantastic and performance is better than expected.

But I mostly wanted to cover how Stadia plays, as well as Linux performance for those devs out there:

-Stadia: runs as well as it does on my gaming desktop and TV- no noticeable difference! The screen is colorful and crisp. The browser interface loads quick and controller pairing ran into no issues.
- Here's a pic of the device running Destiny 2: https://i.imgur.com/ktvCm55.jpg
- Here's a video: https://imgur.com/zzg9VB3
- Highly recommend this as a portable Stadia device if you can find one!

Linux: installed quickly and haven't run into any issues with terminal so far. I got this mainly to use as a portable python dev station while traveling and it seems like it'll fill that void. The keyboard will probably take a little to get used to (as others have said, the symbol keys are smaller so easier to miss) and the trackpad seems a bit thin, but overall, performance seems the same as other Chromebooks I've used.

tldr; I'm very impressed with this device. Seems like a steal and no-brainer at its current pricepoint.

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

No Chromebook/Chrome OS devices whatsoever support HD Netflix in the Android app. The Pixel Slate does allow 1080p Netflix in the web browser though, so presumably the Lenovo Duet does too.

Google really really really needs to fix this. This is one of the big reasons why android tablets are still necessary and why ChromeOS can't fully replace them.

This is also a reason why the Galaxy Chromebook is such a waste. No HD support in Android apps let ALONE HDR support which is what you would ideally want to see with an oled screen.

This is also one of the reasons why my XPS 13 2:1 has largely replaced my pixelbook, I can get Dolby Vision with my notebook on Netflix.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 19, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

Android functionality on Chromebook is really badómy advice to people who are reading this thread and who are considering buying a Chromebook is to not count on the Android functionality to work very well. Many Android apps, even those by reputable companies, donít work very well on Chromebooks.

bull3964 posted:

Google really really really needs to fix this. This is one of the big reasons why android tablets are still necessary and why ChromeOS can't fully replace them.

This is also a reason why the Galaxy Chromebook is such a waste. No HD support in Android apps let ALONE HDR support which is what you would ideally want to see with an oled screen.

This is also one of the reasons why my XPS 13 2:1 has largely replaced my pixelbook, I can get Dolby Vision with my notebook on Netflix.

Lol, I remember complaining about how Amazon Prime Videoís Android app sucked on Chromebook earlier in this thread and how it was indicative of how the Android functionality on Chromebook was poorly implemented and supported.

In a reply to my earlier post, you told me that I was unfairly blaming Chromebook when it was the appís fault. I guess after using a Chromebook yourself you now agree with me.

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

all of the netflix BS is because of DRM i assume right?

who exactly do they think theyre stopping from stealing content

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

silence_kit posted:

Lol, I remember complaining about how Amazon Prime Videoís Android app sucked on Chromebook earlier in this thread and how it was indicative of how the Android functionality on Chromebook was poorly implemented and supported.

In a reply to my earlier post, you told me that I was unfairly blaming Chromebook when it was the appís fault. I guess after using a Chromebook yourself you now agree with me.

That's not a fair characterization of the issue though.

Your issue is that you couldn't get smooth playback of video, period, from the Amazon app and using it to paint the picture that video didn't work properly on the Android subsystem at all while I was pointing out that Netflix worked perfectly fine (still does!) so it was certainly possible for it to work properly, making it an app issue that local playback wasn't working properly.

Basic functionality is completely different from polished advanced features. Hell, two years ago when that post was made most Android phones themselves didn't support full HD playback in Netflix.

I've been using Android functionality since it was a beta channel feature, there's no new realization here. It's also not inconsistent to be perfectly happy with a launch feature but then be disappointed that things haven't advanced since then.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

waffle iron posted:

How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

Seems good! I don't like using it in landscape as a tablet because of the aspect ratio (I read in landscape on my iPad fwiw) but it reads well in Portrait. Scrolling is smooth and fonts are crisp in Kindle.

NewFatMike posted:

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.
Never heard of this but will try it out tomorrow.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 20, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004
Generic poster who whines about the mods to get attention.

Grimey Drawer

On my Pixelbook I'm having trouble with the taskbar, which I can't get to show up after signing in. Anyone else have this issue? I'm on the beta channel and I tried powerwashing already, which didn't fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Insanely good info

Thanks again for this, I pulled the trigger on the Slate today to treat myself a little. With Krita coming out for Android/ChromeOS and actively resenting both my mobile workstation and R11, I thought it was time.

Really psyched to see how it goes and play around with Crostini.

«30 »