Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

gently caress me I wrote that whole post meaning the Pro, not the plus. I have an old Chromebook (Intel 2840 I think??) and while I know its age and 2GB of RAM are probably why it's so slow I've decided that moving forward I'm definitely going with an m3. I guess I'll try to check out the Pro at Best Buy, I went to one a couple weeks ago that had a Pro on display but it was missing the pen.

I thought that might have been what you meant.

Your old CB there is one of the hardware configurations that I've been steering people away from. 2 GB of RAM is a no-go (4 GB minimum for any PC, regardless of OS) and the N2840 or similar CPUs are terribly slow.

Any of the new CBs will be a huge upgrade in terms of performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

lelandjs posted:

Dumb question I suppose but have you tried power washing?

Multiple times; along with disabling the play store, re-enabling it, reinstalling the app, etc. I also want to note that it is every android app that is crapping out, and has been afflicting me almost exclusively after one of their updates.

On an aside, it is kind of annoying that the only support help that Google can provide for such issues is "completely reset your device, settings and apps and hope it works again". Powerwashing has been the only substantive suggestion that Google support staff has been able to give me after multiple inquiries to them.

Google has always been much more of a beta test atmosphere with their services, but if they are going to start offering (and charging prices for) Apple-esque experiences, they need to get their poo poo together with it.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 13, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ah, that sucks, but it sounds like something was broken in a recent OS update, so hopefully that'll be fixed in an upcoming update. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FWIW, the Android apps I've been using on my Pixelbook like series guide have been rock solid.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, that's why I try to reiterate that CB users can have quite different experiences with Android apps despite having the same hardware, except that's no consolation if you're one of the unlucky ones. :(

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So my company is paying for my masters degree and I wanted something light and cheap I could take with me to study at coffee shops and bring with me to class (it is a hybrid online/in class program for IT). Chromebooks immediately came to my mind, because in reality I do most of my work with Google Docs (though I also have office 365 through my company I prefer google for its cloud features) and also wanted something I could use to remote into my desktop.

After some research, I ended up getting an Acer R11 flip for like $230 through Costco. After a few days messing with it, and getting Crouton/Linux installed, I couldn't be happier. It is very lightweight, I actually like the tablet mode (netflix streams really well on it) and I noticed I can have a dozen tabs, google drive, and Crouton running with minimal slowdown. Battery life seems good too, now all I need is to get an SD card so I can expand the storage even further.

And yes, Android apps works great on it! :)

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, the Android apps I've been using on my Pixelbook like series guide have been rock solid.

same

also i've not used the pen yet in about a month of owning

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Humerus posted:

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the Samsung Chromebook Plus and the Asus C302.

The aspect ratio is kind of a wash for me, I think the Samsung would be better for my purposes (school work and web browsing) but I also don't think I would mind the Asus' ratio. Mainly what I'm having trouble with is whether the stylus in the Plus is worth it. My idea is that I'll be using the Chromebook itself to write notes rather than use a pen and paper. I know I can get a stylus that will work with the Asus, but is the Samsung's purpose-built? As in, will it feel better/be easier to write with the Samsung vs. the Asus with a stylus?

I was deciding between the two as well and what pushed me over the edge was the keyboard. In my hands the C302 is 1000x better, but if you have tried them both and don't care then that wouldn't matter to you.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Edit: nevermind, got my laptops confused]

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
For anyone who has installed Linux on one of these: What is the experience like? I have an HP Chromebook 14 and its... okay. I don't really like using mainly web apps, and lately Chrome has been really crashy (even after a powerwash and update). My fear is that battery life is going to suck and that the lackluster specs will not hold up to the hype in my head. It wouldn't be for anything serious: Some light web development, Firefox and that's about it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

unruly posted:

For anyone who has installed Linux on one of these: What is the experience like? I have an HP Chromebook 14 and its... okay. I don't really like using mainly web apps, and lately Chrome has been really crashy (even after a powerwash and update). My fear is that battery life is going to suck and that the lackluster specs will not hold up to the hype in my head. It wouldn't be for anything serious: Some light web development, Firefox and that's about it.

Once you're gotten it installed, and applied the very helpful automated fixes for the hardware stuff that doesn't work in a fresh install, it's perfectly normal Linux, exactly the same as if it was on any other computer.

I have one with the BIOS flashed to John Lewis's RW_LEGACY, so that it can still boot to ChromeOS on the tiny internal storage, but it can also boot from other media (hit ctrl-L at the "OS Verification is off" screen, then ESC to get the list of bootable devices. Yes, it's a little annoying but it's not a huge deal.)

Anyway, booting off other media means you can just boot from of any bog-standard Linux installer on a flash drive. You can use that to install Linux to the internal storage as normal, or you can leave the ChromeOS partitions completely untouched and install Linux another flash drive or SD card, which will then be a persistent system. You can even plug it into another computer and boot it there, with all your files and settings intact. (Pro tip: if installing to USB, make sure both the target drive and the port itself are USB 3.0 or all i/o will be painfully slow.)

I usually use an Ubuntu Mate install that's on an SD card, so that there's no USB sticking out. The slowest part is indeed i/o, but I really only notice that when doing updates, which take a few extra minutes. (I've never had an update break anything.) The machine itself is obviously no speed demon but it has no trouble at all fullscreening video from netflix, youtube, or a local file. As for battery life, it's usually plugged into mains power but my impression is that it lasts almost as long in Linux as it is in ChromeOS.

Lots of very helpful guides: http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/tag/install-linux-on-a-chromebook/

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Walmart.com has a 3 year accidental damage warranty on the Pixelbook for $95 and no deductible. That seems like an extremely good deal, considering you can't really repair those units and would probably end up getting a refund.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Powered Descent posted:

..snip..

I usually use an Ubuntu Mate install that's on an SD card, so that there's no USB sticking out. The slowest part is indeed i/o, but I really only notice that when doing updates, which take a few extra minutes. (I've never had an update break anything.) The machine itself is obviously no speed demon but it has no trouble at all fullscreening video from netflix, youtube, or a local file. As for battery life, it's usually plugged into mains power but my impression is that it lasts almost as long in Linux as it is in ChromeOS.

..snip..
That's good to hear. I'm not really interested in getting the ChromeOS part back. I can't imagine it selling well given that it was <$300 and the specs are, as mentioned before, not exactly great. I was considering waiting until the official support line ends in 2020, but honestly, I'm getting tired of using it when it crashes so frequently.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

unruly posted:

and lately Chrome has been really crashy (even after a powerwash and update).

unruly posted:

but honestly, I'm getting tired of using it when it crashes so frequently.

That's not typical. If it turns out your chromebook has a hardware problem (glitchy RAM or something), then switching to Linux won't help.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The only time I've ever had problems with Chrome OS is when I put some bad RAM into my Chromebox at home. It creates some very weird issues that, to me, didn't initially point to RAM.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fanny packrat posted:

The issue is that I want to print to a network at my university, and although I haven't asked, I'm pretty sure they won't be thrilled with me running my RPi as a print server on their network. Last year I got a Mint laptop printing, so I'm pretty sure it's possible. I'll bother the IT people soon because I don't have the time to devote to figuring this out right now. In any event, I'm not complaining about not being able to print. This machine rocks rear end regardless.

I managed to add a non-GCP-networked printer to a chromebook, it's not mandatory.

Doesn't chromeos use CUPS under the hood? Any printer you get working in linux, you'll be able to get working in chromeos..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, I hope that Valve makes it a priority to get Steamlink's Android app working properly on Chromebook targets. There's so much potential there.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

What market share do chromebook have?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Statutory Ape posted:

What market share do chromebook have?

I feel like you shouldve typed that into Google.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like you shouldve typed that into Google.

I did and the answer was "valve probably doesn't care about chromebooks right now"

But i figured somebody else could answer that for me and also explain why they do care

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems to me that the number of people wanting to play Doom in their Pixelbook is larger than those who want to play it on their Galaxy S9.

I can't really see the point of the Steamlink Android app other than eventually bring desktop gaming to ChromeOS or AndroidTV.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Can the HP G1 with the m3 please go back on woot? Pretty please. I don’t want to pay $600 for one. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ok, i'll see what i can do.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Never mind on the HP, acer just announced 4 new Chromebooks, all of which look good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Spin 13 in particular looks good.

3:2 displays are the best displays.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Can the HP G1 with the m3 please go back on woot? Pretty please. I don’t want to pay $600 for one. Thanks.

Man these show up so often I don't even bother linking them anymore. I'll try to remember to though the next time I see them.

LionArcher posted:

Never mind on the HP, acer just announced 4 new Chromebooks, all of which look good.

Thermopyle posted:

The Spin 13 in particular looks good.

3:2 displays are the best displays.

I was going to say this. The Acer Spin 13 (and 15 I guess) is one of the first notable CBs I've seen in awhile. i5, 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, native stylus support? Sure! (Although the high-end model is probably going to end up close to $1k.) I'll add this one to the 2nd post once more specs show up. Same as with the Acer Tab, and the HP x2 when they're actually available for purchase.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Man these show up so often I don't even bother linking them anymore. I'll try to remember to though the next time I see them.

I was going to say this. The Acer Spin 13 (and 15 I guess) is one of the first notable CBs I've seen in awhile. i5, 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, native stylus support? Sure! (Although the high-end model is probably going to end up close to $1k.) I'll add this one to the 2nd post once more specs show up. Same as with the Acer Tab, and the HP x2 when they're actually available for purchase.

Looks like they new acers won’t be out till late summer? Also, I was going to get a regular Acer 13, but i have a question about the spin. Is there a chrome app that allows you to mark up docs with a pen? Like make edits? Since I’ll be using it for writing 90% of the time, that might be worth the extra $100.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Looks like they new acers won’t be out till late summer? Also, I was going to get a regular Acer 13, but i have a question about the spin. Is there a chrome app that allows you to mark up docs with a pen? Like make edits? Since I’ll be using it for writing 90% of the time, that might be worth the extra $100.

Is this like taking documents and writing on them as if you were writing in the margins of a book or something? It's not an activity I've done myself but I did a little searching; maybe "kami" might work (and it apparently has an extension), squid has an Android app, and maybe any of these or these might work? The nice thing is that you could try any of the extensions in any Chrome installation on a PC you have now, and you can try Squid on a phone or tablet.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Is this like taking documents and writing on them as if you were writing in the margins of a book or something? It's not an activity I've done myself but I did a little searching; maybe "kami" might work (and it apparently has an extension), squid has an Android app, and maybe any of these or these might work? The nice thing is that you could try any of the extensions in any Chrome installation on a PC you have now, and you can try Squid on a phone or tablet.

Thanks I’ll look into it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Google Keep has native writing via stylus implemented, though that's Android sandbox.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just need a machine to do drafting/writing text document work on the go, do my secure banking and business stuff, store my encrypted password file, basically, my clean, travel machine.

I bought this:
Acer 15.6" Chromebook Celeron N3060 Dual-Core 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 16GB Flash ChromeOS (Certified Refurbished)

instead of this:
Acer Chromebook 14, Aluminum, 14-inch Full HD, Intel Celeron Quad-Core N3160, 4GB LPDDR3, 32GB, Chrome, CB3-431-C5FM

Have I just hosed myself? I can still return it...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Martin Random posted:

I just need a machine to do drafting/writing text document work on the go, do my secure banking and business stuff, store my encrypted password file, basically, my clean, travel machine.

I bought this:
Acer 15.6" Chromebook Celeron N3060 Dual-Core 1.6GHz 2GB RAM 16GB Flash ChromeOS (Certified Refurbished)

instead of this:
Acer Chromebook 14, Aluminum, 14-inch Full HD, Intel Celeron Quad-Core N3160, 4GB LPDDR3, 32GB, Chrome, CB3-431-C5FM

Have I just hosed myself? I can still return it...
You should probably return it. The Chromebook 14 already has pretty much the bare minimum specs you would want in 2018 and you bought one with half as much ram, a much slower (half the cores) CPU, a very low resolution screen, and half the flash storage (although this last thing may not be as important for chromebooks).

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mystes posted:

You should probably return it. The Chromebook 14 already has pretty much the bare minimum specs you would want in 2018 and you bought one with half as much ram, a much slower (half the cores) CPU, a very low resolution screen, and half the flash storage (although this last thing may not be as important for chromebooks).

Thank you very, very much. I will return it immediately.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Agreed. The Acer 14 has the better hardware and is an overall nice machine. The Acer 15 in general is fine if you need the largest display available in a CB but not with that dual-core CPU and only 2 GB of RAM.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone have the new HP X2 detachable? Best Buy has them in stock but I'm not convinced the 4gig/32gig is worth $600.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Base model pixel book is available for $250 off until June 17th. That’s a drat good deal.

https://store.google.com/product/google_pixelbook

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That deal seems really good and seems to be available at the local best buy. If I get it, are there any accessories I should consider?

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i got the pen and a bluetooth mouse

have barely used the pen

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
are there any practical guides to installing arbitrary linux apps into a container? maybe i just dont know exactly what to search for

want to try to put matlab on my pixelbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://computers.woot.com/plus/chromebooks-24?ref=w_gh_cp_4_wp_3

Current refurb'd CBs on Woot include the base (Pentium) and m5 HP 13, as well as the Samsung Plus and Pro (the latter usually selling out quickly.) I wouldn't recommend any of the other cheap CBs, especially the 2 GB RAM ones and anything with only a dual-core (non-Core-based.)