Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My only comment on the docks is to pick based off monitor requirements.

4k @ 30hz sucks rear end.

I had to upgrade from a cheap usb-c hub to a more expensive one once I got a new monitor (WFH fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hadlock posted:

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-Charging-Reader-GX90T77924/dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-Dock-Adapter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

Your second and third links go to a 404 page for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/dp/B082M4MVFG/

Whoops, trying to strip the link tracking BS off it, stripped too much off the end of the URL

Since I've piqued your interest, I have this one. WARNING this one only works with laptops equipped with Thunderbolt 3, which visually is the same connector, but different protocol.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Thunderbolt-40AN0135US-Capability/dp/B07M6S81CM/

I can't find a better photo right now, but in that last image, that's what really should sell everyone on a dock with a separate male-male USB-C cable; there is a power cable, and there is a USB-C cable, both disappear into the ether, all the random crap that's pluged into it? it's hidden away in a cabinet. Two 7 port USB hubs full of all kinds of dongles, USB thumb drives, USB->SATA disks etc all live in a cabinet, and connect through that single cable

Six inch dongles can get hosed :colbert:

Fake edit: the power cord is because that specific laptop (XPS 15) will flip the gently caress out if you provide less than 135 watts, and Thunderbolt 3 provides 100w but Dell is an rear end in a top hat about this stuff in their firmware

real edit, single-cable USB-C dock master race:

single-cable USB-C dock master race posted:

That reminds me, here is my final home office setup. I've been meaning to post this forever. I live in a moderately small 1 bedroom in a major urban area and work from home probably 2 full days a week + 9am-noon three days a week, so it's important to have a good work area.

The other main requirement was that it blend nicely with my fiance's decor as my home office is one corner of our cramped apartment livingroom.

I have bought all-in on USB-C. My phone, tablet, work and personal laptops, nintendo switch, noise cancelling headphones are all USB-C now so the only things that still use micro-usb are a couple of "usb battery-banks".

Click to embiggen

Overall setup. Work laptop is macbook pro, sitting on some sort of mango wood desk, the monitor is a 1440p dell with a nifty arm that keeps all the wires off the table. The laptop is plugged in to a $70, 6-foot, 100w "active" Thunderbolt 3 cable, that plugs in to a TB3 dock (see cabinet photos). Also there's a standard wireless logitech mouse, the usb mouse dongle lives attached to the TB3 dock. There's just ONE cable that goes from the laptop, off the desk. there's a cable that goes from the monitor to the TB3 dock, and then a power cable for the monitor (which comes up the arm, so never gets on the desk to add clutter) and the last cable, I had to check, is a USB 3.0 A->B cable, as the monitor has a 4 port powered USB 3 hub. The monitor was medium in price, it's the 2017 dell ultrasharp, non-4K edition, and then the arm was a new design for dell (vast improvement over the old version that's been around for 10+ years).

Closeup shot. I am not really sold on this lamp but when we moved in this corner was super dark and this met Her approval. The chair is some ikea thing, I mostly hate it but is serviceable and does not attract cat hair for some reason.

This is my Dell XPS 15 which I have a love/hate relationship with, it also has Thunderbolt 3, which means I can just plug it in with this single cable and all the crap that works with my work laptop, I now have access to with my personal laptop. Same monitor, mouse, NAS, UPS, network equipment, USB 3 hubs, etc etc. Litterally just plug and play. Also works with anyone elses' TB3 laptop.

That white blob on the left is a lead-weighted cable organizer, I use it to keep the TB3 cable from sliding off the table.

This is what I like to call the most expensive computer case on the planet. From the first picture, on the left there is that book case with the cabinet. I think this is like a $700 book case/cabinet. Top right is my beloved Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, out of it comes a 7 port powered USB-C hub, attached to that is a 1TB USB-C ssd, i'm also trickle charging two USB battery banks, from there snakes a Cat 6 patch cable to

The middle shelf, which is a 1gb, 8 port unmanaged switch, and my beloved Yoga 10+ Pro tablet (USB-C charging, of course), that all feeds down to the bottom shelf,

Bottom shelf has an amazon branded UPS battery backup that the Thunderbolt 3 dock, network swtich, wireless router, and NAS are plugged in to, also has a USB out to the thunderbolt 3 dock so the laptop can shutdown automatically

Last photo, top shelf is a google wifi unit, it provides local wired internet to everything in the cabinet attached to the switch, also gives me wifi all the way to the elevator on my floor, it talks to the onhub in my bedroom where the cable internet tap is, so there's no goofy loving CAT-5 ethernet snaking around doors, under carpets or whatever. Google wifi figures it out for me, has been flawless so far

Bottom shelf is a Synology 4 bay NAS that's plugged in to the UPS and it has 6 TB mirrored backup whatever, two bays free for now, all backs up encrypted to amazon glacier for $6 a month.

All this poo poo is accessible via a single 6' cable that comes on to my desk. I am so loving happy. No cables getting tangled, no dust collecting around/between the 50 cables required to keep my laptop plugged in to all my poo poo, no dongle hell... it all lives off this one, single glorious Thunderbolt 3 cable. And yes I can (and do) game on it, even though the cable only provides 100W and the CPU + GPU can pull a max of 135W.

more edit:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 27, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hadlock posted:

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-Charging-Reader-GX90T77924/dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-Dock-Adapter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

Thanks, I'll take a look! Do you know off the top of your head if any of them bus powered? This is really to get files to 3D printers, CNC machines, and so on.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My school will probably be doing remote learning in a month or so. Students will be taking their chromebooks home to do work but we have enough students without reliable internet or no internet at home that we are going to be sending work home every week on a flash drive which they will bring back the next week.

My questions:
- is there an easy to use program to save videos (like YouTube videos) or audio “like podcasts” to your Chromebook in order to add to the flash drives?
- what program or app will be necessary for students to be able to watch video/audio (regardless of it is saved or a classroom made one) on a Chromebook with no internet?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
youtube-dl is what I use to download videos off YouTube/C-SPAN/etc etc. https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

Pretty much anything that can be downloaded can be played with the builtin Chrome OS media player by double clicking on it from the Files app.

Edit: youtube-dl is a command line program but there seem to be some open source frontends that work in Windows: https://tartube.sourceforge.io/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Scanned the past few pages. I'm joining the 'need to get a Chromebook for my kid for homeschooling' camp as the ones to be issued from the school won't be available for several months.

For third grade, it is looking like the Lenovo Duet would do everything that I need? We want a dedicated 'this is learning time' device so his only requirements would be for school, including video for Hangouts or whatever they're using in Google Classroom.

Anything else that he wants to do recreationally can be done on his PC. He's very prone to distraction so having a dedicated device will be very beneficial for his focus.

Thoughts? Don't want to overthink this, but don't want to buy an inappropriate item for my solution.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Duet is nice, but might be overkill for that role (doubt something that can convert into a tablet is needed). The Lenovo 3 seems like the best cheap option at only $169. The trick is finding one. You may have luck in Walmart, but ordering online is a crapshoot right now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I ended up with a refurb Acer 315 direct from Acer for $199. Haven't used it much but probably also overkill for the use. It also appears to be sold out now, too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Awesome, thanks! Will keep an eye out on both. Probably hosed since the whole world is doing the same.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Is there any way to have a Lenovo Duet stay logged into, or remember login info for installed apps? The remember password feature works fine when I use the Chrome browser, but it's really cumbersome to have to reenter password for installed apps every time I need to use one.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Is there any way to have a Lenovo Duet stay logged into, or remember login info for installed apps? The remember password feature works fine when I use the Chrome browser, but it's really cumbersome to have to reenter password for installed apps every time I need to use one.

You're talking about installed Android apps?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Atomizer posted:

You're talking about installed Android apps?

Yes, but apologies, I'm an idiot. I was trying to help my mom with this and I didn't realize that it doesn't remember sign in for banking apps purposefully for security reasons. The other apps do stay logged in.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is anyone with a Duet able to confirm if you can get Linux apps working on it? I've got to launch AppImages from a Linux file browser (dolphin) but once launched they work great.

Just trying to see if I can recommend it for some browser based CAD + 3D printing. PrusaSlicer is the specific AppImage.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Is anyone with a Duet able to confirm if you can get Linux apps working on it? I've got to launch AppImages from a Linux file browser (dolphin) but once launched they work great.

Just trying to see if I can recommend it for some browser based CAD + 3D printing. PrusaSlicer is the specific AppImage.

It looks like PrusaSlicer is only packaged in AppImage for x64, but the Duet is aarch64. It does look like it's packaged in Debian testing, so you might be able to go that route.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh cool! Yeah, I really just want to see if it can slice with that in any app format I guess. I hadn't even thought it might be packaged differently for ARM.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Oh cool! Yeah, I really just want to see if it can slice with that in any app format I guess. I hadn't even thought it might be packaged differently for ARM.

I use flatpak for a bunch of things like Signal desktop on my x64 Chromebook and it's annoying that with my Duet those same apps aren't packaged for aarch64. I looked into building debs for SIgnal desktop and it's going to be a pain because Electron isn't as thoroughly supported on aarch64.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think I have a bricked Toshiba Chromebook 2 (i3, the good one). I have really out of date Seabios on it first of all. I installed Slackware on it after a failed Linux from Scratch venture. I forgot the login userid and password to login, while also can't login to the Bios to set to boot to usb. Can't login, can't boot to grub or whatever, can't boot to bios, can't boot from usb. It's like, a soft brick. Sure was nice while I was broke though. I used GalliumOS + the Seabios with bigger SSD. It was all I needed. I don't remember if I updated the ram or not.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I haven't kept up with Chromebooks for a while and am looking to get a new one soon. I currently have an Acer Chromebook 11 which I like a lot and only use it to access my financial and other account websites, and use Google Sheets on. Some of the websites I use have become so bloated that my Chromebook has a lot of trouble loading them up, so I think it's about time to replace it. Are there any good small stripped down cheap models out there for just doing basic stuff on?

Also the reason I started using one in the first place was I like how you couldn't install anything on them at all, but now I see that you can put android apps on them. Does this affect the secureness of them at all?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Any idea why my Pixelbook might not be recognizing a known good USB-C thumbdrive?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How practical is using a (cheap) Chromebook to remote-desktop a PC? I know it's possible, but would it be annoying?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you talking about normal Microsoft RDP? If so, the Android RDP client is basically as good as the PC one and works well with a keyboard and trackpad.

VMWare Horizon Android client works equally well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Are you talking about normal Microsoft RDP? If so, the Android RDP client is basically as good as the PC one and works well with a keyboard and trackpad.

I have very little experience with remote desktop software (have not used it in many years), so I don't know which software I mean really.

My idea is having a media PC but controlling it around the house with a Chromebook for basic things.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I use Real VNC on my Duet and it's fine - no issues.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bull3964 posted:

Uhh, I am unaware of a way to use the Horizon Client to RDP into a machine without a full horizon VDI environment.

I run a midsized horizon deployment at work, it can connect via RDP (or PCoIP and Blast), but it needs the rest of the infrastructure. Specifically a Connection server for LAN use.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use Chrome Remote Desktop with a Lenovo Duet to control a PC that's also hooked up to a 1080p monitor and it works perfectly if you have a keyboard and trackpad/mouse. Touchscreen control is pretty dodgy though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cool, glad to hear this is possible. I want to get a Duet, but they're either overpriced or sold out everywhere at the moment.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Another longshot: any idea why running VS Code in Linux is hard crashing my Pixelbook? The computer might be developing some problem, because that's a lot of hard crashes, but I only seem to get them in Squid while screen sharing and when in VS Code.

They seem to have fixed it? Might be the beta channel I'm running but it rules that I can run Code. I used this walkthrough: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wiki/howto/install-vscode

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moey posted:

Uhh, I am unaware of a way to use the Horizon Client to RDP into a machine without a full horizon VDI environment.

I run a midsized horizon deployment at work, it can connect via RDP (or PCoIP and Blast), but it needs the rest of the infrastructure. Specifically a Connection server for LAN use.

To be clear, the initial request wasn't clear on WHAT was wanted to be remoted into.

I was just pointing out if the target was Horizon, chromeOS works pretty well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bull3964 posted:

To be clear, the initial request wasn't clear on WHAT was wanted to be remoted into.

I was just pointing out if the target was Horizon, chromeOS works pretty well.

I concur.

We used a bunch of spare Chromebooks as "remote thin clients" at one point. Outside of the poo poo models we had (bad screen resolution), they work well for a terminal into a Horizon environment.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I guess along with the rest of the world I'm in the market for a Chromebook and the Acer Spin 713 is sold out everywhere. I don't need the convertible factor (I have a convertible laptop now and never convert it) but I really wanted a 3:2 laptop. The Pixelbook Go is looking like my best option unless someone has an idea about where the 713 is in stock? I've also seen used Pixelbooks on eBay for $550, but I'm a bit wary of buying used. Thoughts?

Edit: Acer sells refurbed direct on eBay and they have i5 Spin 713s for $560. That seems like the best idea?

Humerus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 29, 2020

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k
If you're ok with used, I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro that has been treated very well and only used when I decide I need a browser/android app and it's within arm's length, like right now: https://www.google.com/chromebook/device/samsung-chromebook-pro/

I have 4 Chromebooks including a Pixel Slate and HP Chromebook X2, so I should get rid of some of them. They're all 3:2 but this is the non convertible one and is lighter than either (with their keyboards attached).

Depending on your use case I'm not sure you need an i5. My Pixel Slate is the i5 version and there's basically no difference between it and the Samsung Chromebook Pro's M3 speedwise.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Bolt posted:

If you're ok with used, I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro that has been treated very well and only used when I decide I need a browser/android app and it's within arm's length, like right now: https://www.google.com/chromebook/device/samsung-chromebook-pro/

I have 4 Chromebooks including a Pixel Slate and HP Chromebook X2, so I should get rid of some of them. They're all 3:2 but this is the non convertible one and is lighter than either (with their keyboards attached).

Depending on your use case I'm not sure you need an i5. My Pixel Slate is the i5 version and there's basically no difference between it and the Samsung Chromebook Pro's M3 speedwise.

That's very tempting, I was actually looking into getting the Samsung Pro a while back but then my in laws gave me a Lenovo Yoga which is a great computer but I want the simplicity of a Chromebook. The M3 chip is definitely good enough for me and I assume better with battery life than an i5. I'll have to think on it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I haven't kept up with Chromebooks for a while and am looking to get a new one soon. I currently have an Acer Chromebook 11 which I like a lot and only use it to access my financial and other account websites, and use Google Sheets on. Some of the websites I use have become so bloated that my Chromebook has a lot of trouble loading them up, so I think it's about time to replace it. Are there any good small stripped down cheap models out there for just doing basic stuff on?

Also the reason I started using one in the first place was I like how you couldn't install anything on them at all, but now I see that you can put android apps on them. Does this affect the secureness of them at all?

I personally haven't been in the market for another CB for a while, but from what I understand they're in short supply for obvious reasons. The recommendations are still the same: 4+ GB RAM, a decent CPU (e.g. 2+ core Intel Core or 4+ core ARM,) and an appropriate resolution for the display, plus anything else nice-to-have like backlit keyboard or touchscreen. At this point basically anything you can find with the right specs will give you a satisfactory experience. I usually suggest keeping an eye on Woot.com which frequently has refurb'd CBs.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Any idea why my Pixelbook might not be recognizing a known good USB-C thumbdrive?

Damage to the USB connector (either side.)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How practical is using a (cheap) Chromebook to remote-desktop a PC? I know it's possible, but would it be annoying?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have very little experience with remote desktop software (have not used it in many years), so I don't know which software I mean really.

My idea is having a media PC but controlling it around the house with a Chromebook for basic things.

It is literally 100% doable and easy, and I actually use my CB pretty much every day to remote control at least one Windows system via CRD.

Humerus posted:

I guess along with the rest of the world I'm in the market for a Chromebook and the Acer Spin 713 is sold out everywhere. I don't need the convertible factor (I have a convertible laptop now and never convert it) but I really wanted a 3:2 laptop. The Pixelbook Go is looking like my best option unless someone has an idea about where the 713 is in stock? I've also seen used Pixelbooks on eBay for $550, but I'm a bit wary of buying used. Thoughts?

Edit: Acer sells refurbed direct on eBay and they have i5 Spin 713s for $560. That seems like the best idea?

As above, as long as you can find a good price on something with appropriate specs it will be fine, because CBs generally just work (i.e. they often don't have any moving parts like fans or HDDs to fail.) Any of the CBs you mentioned are solid options. I wouldn't even worry about buying a used/refurb'd PB for around that price, but the only real consideration is the "end of support" date for older devices.

Edit: These are literally all viable options.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 31, 2020

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't act fast enough on the refurb 713, so I got a Pixelbook Go. I really want this to last a while and I feel better with 8GB of RAM rather than 4, and the used Pixelbook would have been cheaper but... I'm a bit apprehensive about dropping $500+ without any solid protection.

So with that being said, I'm wanting a printer that I can set up and use wirelessly with ChromeOS, and scanning is a must. I've seen people saying Brother has an Android app you can use on a Chromebook, but I'd like some specific recommendations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Brother laser printer I purchased last year was Mopria print certified and has worked seamlessly from our Android devices. After reading your post, I downloaded the Mopria app on my kid's Chromebook, set up the printer in the settings tab, and immediately printed a document. It took about 2 minutes start to finish. It's nice, the Mopria app will notify if there's a queue or error codes (so far only out of paper/ink). The app basically stays in the background, you just access print in whatever apps hamburger menu.

It has so far been a trouble free device. My wife's work windows laptop is connected to it via USB for ~reasons~ and we've printed wirelessly via Android, and from her computer at the same time with no issues, just queues up and goes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm gonna need a link to that printer because I loving despise mine.

Every time Windows updates, I need to re-patch network printing :shepface:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks for killing google cloud print, Google.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mine is the older version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Mine is the older version of this.

How many pages do you get out of a toner cartridge

We had an old battle tank HP LaserJet II in the early 1990s which weighed at least 60 lbs, literally dropped it right on it's corner unloading it from my dad's truck from at least 40" onto the concrete driveway, continued to give trusty service for another 15 years until my mom finally threw it out, looks like you can still buy toner cartridges for it to this day

Toner cartridges were about $80 ($140 in 1990s money) but you would get about a thousand pages of book reports out of a cartridge