Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I wish I knew which models other than the Pixelbook and Samsung Plus were eventually going to get native Linux support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

On the topic of Linux on Chromebooks, I was pleased to find I could install an open-source Java clone and run the board game program VASSAL. It even works pretty well despite not scaling for DPI:

But I wasn't able to get VASSAL to read and write from my Dropbox. I tried installing Dropbox for Linux but it keeps segfaulting when I try to run it. Is there any way to get to something like Dropbox from within the Linux VM?

The article in the post two above yours talks about how they are adding Google Drive access to the Linux container.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Could anyone with a Lenovo Chromebook Duet attempt streaming Slay the Spire (or a similarly undemanding game) through Steam Link (or another freely accessible streaming solution I'm unaware of)? That's pretty much the one thing I'm hung up on, whether or not the Mediatek is too underpowered to do this, in which case I might just wait until a new base iPad is released.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Ok, looks like their FAQ is outdated, their web developer has already moved their curriculum to HTML5 and they say outright that they support Chromebooks. It just says all this on their FB page so I had to get my wife to find it. :v:

SO. Best available Chromebook in the <$500 range, and cheaper is better cause it's for a child?

The Lenovo Flex 5 Chromebook has gotten really good reviews across the board.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Has Google given any way yet to change the 5 minute screen shutoff/OS lock timer? It's especially annoying because my Google account has a strong password because I'd obviously have major problems if someone got in there.

I'm seriously surprised that more people don't have issues with this, it's basically a deal-breaker for me for using ChromeOS as more than a curiosity/backup device.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

waffle iron posted:

drat, I didn't know Quixzlizx was your alt.

Are you salty that they have better reading comprehension skills than you or something?

Lord Bob posted:

I just always set a pin on the device - it lets you get into the chromebook with just the pin, but keeps password prompts for bigger stuff (and doesn't weaken the google account itself, unless someone has physical access to your chromebook there's nothing they can do with the pin).

Thanks for the PIN suggestion, although it's still completely ridiculous that there's no option to change the timer to something longer than 5 minutes.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Quote isn't Edit