Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Picked up a pixel book today with the pen. Oh my this thing is outrageously beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Let us know if mkbhd's criticism of the pen is accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_GMU7-sjs

I don't have any such issue, no fanboy. My pen honestly works just fine...no different than, say, a Surface Pro in my experience. There is a slight amount of lag, but in it's current form it's fine. There is no need to press so hard the screen bends...looks like he has a defective something there to me.

Also MKBHD looks like someone pissed in his Cheerio's in this review. Kind of weird how he seems bent out of shape at Google for releasing this product at $999. I mean, sure cheaper everything is just exciting, but I feel this product warrants the price-tag. Would I love it to be $499? Sure thing, but let's be realistic here; the hardware is what you are buying. It's ridiculously nice. Should soccer moms buy it over a Macbook? Of course not.

I'm busy today but I'll try to post some :heysexy: pics.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I had an iPad Pro 12.9" before the Pixelbook. It was neat-o and iOS 11 brought it ever so closer to being a device I could do everything on. One thing always bugged me...severely.

No mouse.

I know, that's not the spirit of iOS, etc, but without a mouse it became laborious and unpleasant to use for lengths of time, even with the pencil and keyboard. Having to reach up and tap for every navigation function is ridiculous.

I saw this on reddit and honestly think it belongs in the OP. The mouse gestures on ChromeOS are great, especially on the Pixelbook (the glass pad is macbook like). Two finger back/forward is a bit janky with the animation. This flag changes that, for the better:

Go into chrome://flags and find "overscroll history navigation"

Set to "simple" :aaaaa:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Check ur offers!

6 months of Netflix, gratis. Worked on my Pixelbook anyway. Can't get the $20 GPS credit to apply though. Seems to be a common issue that just fixes itself at some point.

https://www.google.com/chromebook/offers/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am continually torn between the Samsung Chromebook Pro and the Google Pixelbook.

I know the Pixelbook is double the cost, but I'd recommend it over the Samsung CBP all day long. I had the Samsung a few months ago and returned it inside of 2 weeks. The keyboard is so, SO bad. I wasn't even fussed about it not being backlit; the key travel and overall feel is really poor. It aggravated me every time I typed something. Then there's the trackpad...it's real bad too.

The Pixel is far superior in the keyboard and mouse aspect, which is really important to me as those features are used all day every day. Is that worth $500? Up to you, but it certainly was for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I snagged a C302 M5/64GB from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $377 (Used, Like New). I think it was a price mistake since it's normally $609. They vanished in minutes, now available for $413, which still seems like a good price.

It hasn't shipped yet, but I'm slightly worried about the screen. I had a Pixelbook but returned it because the >$1000 just seemed hard to digest, but $377 is impulse territory for 90% of the Pixelbook capabilities.

Is a non 4:3 flip Chromebook going to drive me nuts? I plan on using the Android app feature pretty heavily and don't really care about a stylus. For some reason having everything so long on the display (16:9) is making me second-guess prior to shipping. Movies will look neat tho.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Holy poo poo, I tossed a molotov cocktail on this thread, huh?

I ended up canceling the C302 order. I had a Pixelbook in the past, so I'm aware of the jank with PlayStore apps.

I'll sit on the sidelines for a while and see how Google de-janks some apps (i.e. Amazon Video offline stutter, etc).

Carry on, thread.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

One thing I noticed: Chrome two-finger forward/back navigation swiping seems a bit broken, is this normal? It sometimes kind of gets stuck between the two pages and I have to swipe or tap again to fix it.

Edit: well I'm dumb and was beaten twice, maybe three times above. Oops.

Boy do I have a treat for you. Go to chrome://flags and do this:

Find "Overscroll history navigation" and change it to "Simple."

It's so much better. No more lag or entire web page graphical animation. Just lightning fast back/forward with swiping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone have the new HP X2 detachable? Best Buy has them in stock but I'm not convinced the 4gig/32gig is worth $600.