Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The best thing about Chromebooks is that they are good machines to put regular Linux on. Still a shame that you have to open the machines up if you want to write to the firmware so you don't have to watch a warning screen everytime you boot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fanny packrat posted:

The issue is that I want to print to a network at my university, and although I haven't asked, I'm pretty sure they won't be thrilled with me running my RPi as a print server on their network. Last year I got a Mint laptop printing, so I'm pretty sure it's possible. I'll bother the IT people soon because I don't have the time to devote to figuring this out right now. In any event, I'm not complaining about not being able to print. This machine rocks rear end regardless.

I managed to add a non-GCP-networked printer to a chromebook, it's not mandatory.

Doesn't chromeos use CUPS under the hood? Any printer you get working in linux, you'll be able to get working in chromeos..

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

If you want a "cheap" chromebook that actually has something called storage (more than 32GB), is your only option the Lenovo Yoga C630?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

how much are you seeing that lenovo for and what do you want besides more than 32g storage?

Well, the c630 exists as a FHD model and with 64GB, that might qualify as "cheap"..? (hence the quotation marks)

Didn't know about this site, thanks! I see it might actually exist now in 2019 (don't like the HP chromebooks though...)

I use the SD card solution on one Toshiba Chromebook I've got, but.. it's just, 32 GB is just a tad small for regular Linuxing, 64 or greater would be neat, and it's a bit turn off not being able to use the SD card slot for anything else than /home at the same time..

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hmm

i don't like gallium os that much. i guess it just got hidpi support since xfce just got it, but basing a chromeos replacer os that didn't have hidpi support until very recently shows that they do a lot of questionable technical choices

i'd just test if fedora worked on it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I still want to run linux on this thing. I was leaning towards ubuntu if Gallium didn't work as it's what I'm more familiar with. What are the upsides of running fedora?

fedora is made mostly by redhat. redhat is responsible for making linux work on modern laptops, so they're the standard for how other distros are measured. thunderbolt, firmware updates, usb-c, flicker free boot graphics, hidpi etc etc, redhat employs the people who's making this stuff work. so if fedora works on the chromebook, you'd get the best linux experience.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's more like _if_ it runs it runs the best. but google is pretty good about keeping stuff upstream, so your chances getting it running shouldn't be that low.

just try and see

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haven't seen a chromebook yet that didnt have soldered on emmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Opera Bitch posted:

I am headed back to teach after being out this year on maternity leave and was told that the laptop they had set aside for me that can connect easily to our smartboard is MIA. The school gave me a Samsung Chromebook but I am not having luck finding the right dongle/adapter that connects into the Smartboard's VGA cable and plugs into the chromebook (and no one at our school knows any. It doesn't have an HDMI outlet: just the two in the pics below.

guess you could use one of those usb 3 dockings with displaylink hdmi outlets