Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

anakha posted:

Has anyone tried installing ChromeOS Flex on their old laptops? I have a couple of old ones lying around and was thinking of repurposing them and donating for educational purposes after installing that OS.

The old laptops I have aren't part of Google's list of certified devices though.

My Chromebook hit end-of-life with Chrome OS last month, and just got a couple more updates due to severe Chrome issues, but I figure I need to change the OS soon so may be trying it out. I have an old netbook around I've thought about trying it out on, but haven't gotten around to it. I checked, and my Chromebook is not on the official ChromeOS Flex supported list, so I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

Alright so I bought a lenovo duet 5 and it is alright. But what is extremely frustrating is that the linux vm/container feature won't install. Even immediately after a powerwash, the installer takes about three minutes and finally just says the installation failed and that's it. Is there one weird trick to get this thing to work?

Did you set enough storage space aside for it? My Chromebook is now EOL, but I recall having to dedicate a certain amount of disk space to it when I set Linux up on it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

It defaults to 10GB and I have left it there 🤷. What kind of giant linux is this?

It still doesn't work BTW. It is too late to return it but it has turned out to be a sad device. It is too big, the battery life sucks, the keyboard is useless unless you are at a proper table, and no linux. No one in the house uses it.

This might be a hail Mary, but you could try switching over to the beta channel for Chrome updates and see if Linux will install then. I think it will powerwash the machine yet again, but it sounds like at this point it isn't a concern.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dopilsya posted:

I'm looking for some advice. I've never used a chromebook and have very little experience with tablets and I'm trying to figure out which is a better option for me. I'm a graduate student, I'm looking for something portable and durable that I can travel with/leave at school so I don't have to keep bringing my laptop in. I use windows and android normally, but I'm not opposed to apple. The main uses would be word processing and browsing, for more extensive work I always have my actual laptop.

It sounds like a chromebook would be right call, but I have a strong preference for taking notes by hand so the ipad + pencil seems like it would be useful and it seems like the chromebook I'd need a wifi connection to use for anything. While lack of wifi isn't a problem the majority of the time, I do some work in areas where I don't have access. That being said, the majority of the time I would have wifi and obviously if I want to take notes by hand I can just use a real pencil and notebook.

Thanks for any help!

I used a Chromebook 2-in-1 during grad school and it met my needs just fine, but I always take notes using paper and pencil and had a desktop at home for more intensive stuff. The Chromebook was tough, portable, and the 2-in-1 design made it work well as an e-reader for me. They also aren't completely non-functional if they aren't online - there are offline apps for them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm honestly thinking about getting another cheap Acer 2-in-1 Chromebook because my old one is such a nice piece of hardware. It's getting further out of date since it EOLed a couple months ago, but it still works just fine otherwise and currently serves as my bathroom news reader. I have an old Surface I could try for the same purpose, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Celeron-powered Acer did fine with Android apps, and even ran Linux okay aside from being underpowered for the purpose. Maybe I was just lucky, but some of the complaints I see were not common in my personal experience. There are still rough edges, particularly around Linux support, but I found ChromeOS pretty competent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Not really. The main benefit Chromebooks have over the M1/M2 MacBook Airs is lower price. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a high end Chromebook, you may as well spend just a little bit more and get a MacBook Air.

I recently replaced my Asus C302 with a refurbished M1 MacBook Air, and the Mac really is a better device in almost every way--it's more responsive, the display, keyboard, trackpad are all way better, the OS has way more software and features, and so on.

Apple started making 2-in-1 MacBooks? Because for me one of the things that Chromebooks absolutely excel at is being able to seamlessly go from laptop to tablet usage and have a good touch interface. Windows 10 and 11 do okay with this (and in 11 it looks like Microsoft was cribbing from ChromeOS in this regard), but in my experience my Chromebook 2-in-1 was better at the whole multiple form-factor thing than Windows.

I like 2-in-1s, and that's one thing Apple doesn't do. And I'm not fond of Apple in general, so banging on that drum doesn't do much to sway me, anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

Has Google given any way yet to change the 5 minute screen shutoff/OS lock timer? It's especially annoying because my Google account has a strong password because I'd obviously have major problems if someone got in there.

I'm seriously surprised that more people don't have issues with this, it's basically a deal-breaker for me for using ChromeOS as more than a curiosity/backup device.

What?

I don't recall this being an issue with my Chromebook. I don't have that device currently accessible to check, but I remember it as having the normal range of settings for screen shutoff and lock screens as other operating systems.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The C433 i bought that just passed the return window at amazon is on sale at Best Buy for $179 and I'm so enamored with this thing I'm tempted to pick up another one at that price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...8&skuId=6512628

Yeah, that price made me pick one up to fill in the gap I've had since my last Chromebook went EOL. I haven't done much with it yet, but so far I'm liking it. The screen does feel huge, and I'm having to adjust how I hold it in tablet mode to not accidentally have it register a touch - I'm so used to giant bezels I am having to retrain myself.

I picked up a Windows 2-in-1 earlier in the year that was also a good deal, but it's so big that using it as a tablet is not great, and I feel like ChromeOS works better as a touch-oriented OS than Windows.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The C433 i bought that just passed the return window at amazon is on sale at Best Buy for $179 and I'm so enamored with this thing I'm tempted to pick up another one at that price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...8&skuId=6512628

There's still 7 hours left on this deal in case anyone wants it. I saw the sale was running out and ordered a second one for my partner last night as a gift, because this seems like such a good value.

I had her try mine out a little last night and she really liked it - the screen is surprisingly big, and the form-factor/user interface kind of clicked for her. Her Windows laptop is a last-gen 17" behemoth with a broken hinge, so it is kind of unwieldy for casual use, although she still really likes it otherwise. I think she will end up using this Chromebook more because it meets like 90% of her needs in a really friendly and upscale-feeling device, instead of using her phone for similar purposes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm glad I posted that link then.

It really is a fantastic deal. I logged in and used my order history to get to it again last night, and while I was on Best Buy's site looked at some of the competition, and for the same price they had an 11.6" Lenovo with worse specs in every regard with gigantic bezels to top it off. I figured I'd bump the thread again as a public service since the clock seems to be ticking down on this specific sale.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Atomizer posted:

Hey, so they cancelled Stadia and then like the day after that they announced those 3 "gaming chromebooks," intended for game streaming. I bought the cheapest one which has been in and out of stock but has sold for $400 for awhile after they expanded access to Steam on ChromeOS, including to the 3 aforementioned "gaming" CBs.

My quick first impressions are that it's a good deal for $400, even if it's not an amazing laptop otherwise. The fairly large, high-res display is welcome even though the panel is otherwise unremarkable. The backlit keyboard has a numpad and otherwise feels OK, and the touchpad isn't as nice as the one on my Pixel LS. I would've liked expandable memory or storage (I'm not sure if the latter is or not, I haven't opened it up yet,) and performance is very snappy.

I installed Steam on it and tried out some games. All but one game wasn't on the "approved/tested" list, and none of them ran well although I think I got all of them to launch. They generally took quite a while to do the initial shader compilation, and then in-game performance was poor, even with minimal settings, and often this involved a lot of bizarre "stuttering" that isn't simply attributable to low FPS. I'm sure part of the issue is software optimization, but beyond that I'm aware that the CPU/iGPU/RAM combination isn't great for game performance to begin with.

I'll continue to play around with it and see what I can get to run on it, but a pair of issues is that: my connection is pretty rear end, so it takes quite awhile to download new games, and external storage isn't recognized, so I can't easily make space for additional games.

Yeah, it looks like that laptop is really geared for game streaming services, which can be really impressive but rely on a speedy Internet connection and can easily run afoul of data caps. I tried out the GeForce Now 3080-tier and it compared favorably to running games natively, but that was on a relatively fast, uncapped connection.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hey, it looks like the Best Buy deal on that ASUS Chromebook is up again.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-14-touchscreen-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-8gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6512628.p?skuId=6512628

It is one helluva value at this price. My partner has never used a Chromebook before, and she took to it very easily and really likes the one I got her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I thought about posting it again myself. I've bought 2 of these, and it is impressive how fast it became my partner's main device, especially since it is her first Chromebook. It's weird to see how mismatched it is versus the other Chromebooks they have on sale - it blows comparably-priced machines out of the water, and competes reasonably with the devices like twice the price. I don't know if it's a loss-leader or if someone is clearing out overstock, but it's a really good deal.