Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blast of Confetti posted:

The intel chip in this makes it intel x86 right? Trying to figure out if I have an ARM or x86 for working with Ubuntu

e: looked up dev info and yeah looks like it's x86, neat

This looks pretty awesome. Using a chromebook with a trackpoint mouse would be awesome. I might actually order this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blast of Confetti posted:

I got mine yesterday and it's pretty nice. It's my first chromebook so I've got nothing to compare it to but if you like how Lenovos are built you should like this

I had a Samsung Series 3 Chromebook a few years back and stepped on it by accident when I came home after a night a drinking in college. I really liked it though and I've been meaning to pick up another one. If I buy it I'll give you guys a trip report.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I just order the Acer Chromebook C732-C6WU from the Amazon cyber monday sale. Is this one any good?

It was kind of an impulse purchase but I've wanted a chromebook for awhile since I had the Samsung Series 3 Chromebook back in 2013 and loved it.

So you can run Android apps in Chrome OS now?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Do you have a Micro Center around? They have a Lenovo 100e with 4GB RAM and a MediaTek processor for $79. Should be faster than the Samsung 3 but comparable to a bit slower than the Asus. Decent build quality too.

I do have a microcenter around but at this point it's a little late to collect the cyber monday deal lol.

Atomizer posted:

Oof, the Samsung 3 was my first CB as well and I hated it! Performance was awful and the speakers were downright painful! Battery life was the only thing good about it but it needed that because it took forever to do anything! I quickly replaced it with the Acer C710 (with HDD and extended battery) and eventually the CB Pixel 2015!

Anyways, that Acer C732 is...mediocre. The CPU is below what I'd recommend, although it at least has 4 GB RAM and an appropriate resolution for the display size. It looks chunky with fat bezels, although it's a higher-durability EDU model. I'd say it's fine for the price, and if you dropped & broke it it wouldn't be a huge loss, although it should be durable enough to take a beating. It's not what I'd recommend, except the investment is negligible.

That CPU is in the Acer R13, it's fine. I'd go with it over a low-end, low clockspeed dual-core Atom-based Celeron.

I'm assuming that it's going to be slow. I really just want something that I can use to keep in the bag that I throw around all the time. Also to have something to browse the internet on the couch with.

The series 3 had a lot of issues but I mainly used it to take notes in college and write papers and for that it was actually perfect. The CB being so slow was actually a benefit because it kept me from goofing off lmao.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

asecondduck posted:

Hmm. Celeron + 4GB is basically the minimum specs you want on a Chromebook, and the processor in that Chromebook is worse than the one in the R11, which works... okay, not great. I didn't realize how slowly webpages loaded on it until I got the Slate last week.

No touchscreen might make Android apps a little frustrating, though--you can use the mouse to interact with them, but you'll have a better time with them on a touchscreen. They're great for filling holes in Chrome OS, though. I was so happy when Apple Music finally got official Chromebook support so I could stop sideloading it.

That said, the $125 price I'm seeing on Amazon isn't bad--honestly, that's decent for the price. It's supported for four more years, too, so it's got that going for it.

I'll let you know how it is.

The heaviest task I plan on doing is hulu and youtube. Other than that I'll just be shitposting on forums and discord.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got the chromebook. I'm writing this post on it. You guys are right the display situation is pretty rough. Also it is pretty slow but streaming video is working great.

I also really like the keyboard and trackpad. I'm glad that the keyboard is pretty much full sized and has a decent feel to it. I type really fast (140wpm) so I'm usually pretty picky about laptop keyboards (and keyboards in general) and for a small laptop like this it's very much acceptable, esepcially considering I'm bought this thing primarily to shitpost from my couch/bed.

For a little bit over $100 it's totally worth it but I would never pay the MSRP suggested $250 for this thing. I would honestly feel ripped off. For about $120 you really can't go wrong.

I'll make a followup post about the battery life. The system is estimating about 9 hours after a top up.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

This is the best product I've found for multiple displays over displaylink/USB C - I tested it with my Acer Chromebook 11 (C732) and it worked with 2 external displays extended and mirrored. It also charged the chromebook while it was plugged in.

I've been using this with my work from home setup since last July. I also use this dock for my home studio setup with my 16in Macbook pro and it works great.

I had to go through about 5 different docks before I found one that actually wanted to play nice with the display link drivers (which they all claim to do).

It's really sad and there needs to be better standardization.

Also - I had to send my macbook pro back for a battery replacement and so I've been using the Chromebook more around the house. After I uninstalled most of the chrome plugins I have on it and installed crouton, it's actually pretty sweet. I finally remember why I liked my series 3 chromebook so much in college lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Atomizer posted:

That one looks similar, in functionality and price, to other USB-C docking stations, and I'm curious if any of the ones you tried were Plugable models (which I think are fairly well-known.)

The thing is, DisplayLink is an older technology used to create a virtual video output over USB; it works, I've used it with both standalone monitors and USB video adapters, but it does indeed require special drivers. On the other hand, USB 3.1 and the Type-C connection introduced Alt Modes, which route actual HDMI, DP, TB3, or MHL connections over a USB-C cable. That means that a docking station like that should not require DisplayLink drivers, at least for the native Alt Mode connections; there's still some ambiguity over which devices (i.e. both the host PC and the display) support which Alt Modes (e.g. does your shiny new laptop output DP, HDMI, or both?) I could see maybe a docking station like that doing, say, the DP output as an Alt Mode and the HDMI ports as DisplayLink-enabled, however.

Very interesting. I have had this dock for about a year and a half now and it works very well with my work laptop and my macbook. I did not know about the new standards.

I figured this dock was just a generic one with a random brand name slapped on it. Still I went through a bunch back when I bought it and this was the only one that did what I actually wanted it to do.

I would still personally recommend it if you're looking for something that does the job for under $200.