Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with how usable Word Online or Word for Android are on chromebooks? We're looking at getting mum a low-cost computer for web browsing and writing while she's outside and she's pretty locked into Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think you have to subscribe to Office 365 to use word for android. I was able to just use my school email to get it.

Oh, yeah, we have that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any recommendation for a low cost ideally 12 or 13 inch Chromebook that works well with Linux? I just killed my venerable laptop with water. :smith: It served me well.

I could go down to 11 inch if necessary. Don't wanna spend too much. Duet is interesting but a bit small and I'd like a real hinge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1366x768 is a bit lower than I'd like, but for a cheap chromebook I guess that's a tradeoff you pretty much have to make (and the problem of windows programs that expect minimum vres of 800 isn't an issue). I'll take a look at it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, actually, I mentioned that my old laptop died to prompt this: I wonder if there's a small cheap chromebook I can transplant the 256 2.5 SSD into. Maybe even a ram stick. Or do all the current chromebooks use eMMC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I decided in the end to splurge in the EoFY sales and go full replacement laptop instead. Thanks, but.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what performance will be like. And if they'll let you set things up into seamless windows operation and pretend your chromebook is a windows computer permanently with relative ease. The windows netbook market has been nonexistent the past decade or so.

Probably not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any decent low-cost chromebooks with a 15 inch screen to use as a ZoomPC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to say, it's rose coloured goggles but I miss the old eee PC netbook being a 10' tiny light hard solid plastic clamshell that you could smack into a wall, wrench open, and also would barely heat up and never get wierdly uncomfortably hot. Performance shmermormance. What's the best option for a little rugged thing for casual use in Chromebooks now?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 13, 2022