Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

CrossOver has a beta for Chrome OS that is actually an Android app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...eavers.cxoffice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

There is Asus C423NA 1080p model in the ~$200-250 range that looks decent. C423NA-WB04 and Walmart appears to have it on sale for $199.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Google suggests holding refresh and hitting power will do it.

Just tried that and it works on my Chromebook. Although beware that when I logged back in it asked me to restore my last session, so it might not be a graceful shutdown.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

You can set a PIN on an unmanaged device. No clue what school managed devices let you do.

https://support.google.com/chromebo...r/2587994?hl=en

Edit: Might only be for unlocking.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

You can pair your phone and set it to unlock. And then turn on allowing it to log in.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

I have an Asus C434 I'm not looking to replace, but the Duet does seem interesting for reading books on the Kindle Android app with an occasional digital comic book. Although I'm not sure how comfortable 10 inches will be to hold. Any feedback as a reader would be well appreciated.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Some of the higher end models (Asus C436) have NVMe but I'm not sure if it's a user replaceable part, can't find a teardown.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Ordered a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 128 GB today from Best Buy. Looking forward to having a tablet for books and YouTube. Also the 64 GB model is available at Walmart for in person sales and most store should have a demo station (look in the tablet area).

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

youtube-dl is what I use to download videos off YouTube/C-SPAN/etc etc. https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

Pretty much anything that can be downloaded can be played with the builtin Chrome OS media player by double clicking on it from the Files app.

Edit: youtube-dl is a command line program but there seem to be some open source frontends that work in Windows: https://tartube.sourceforge.io/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 5, 2020

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Is anyone with a Duet able to confirm if you can get Linux apps working on it? I've got to launch AppImages from a Linux file browser (dolphin) but once launched they work great.

Just trying to see if I can recommend it for some browser based CAD + 3D printing. PrusaSlicer is the specific AppImage.

It looks like PrusaSlicer is only packaged in AppImage for x64, but the Duet is aarch64. It does look like it's packaged in Debian testing, so you might be able to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Oh cool! Yeah, I really just want to see if it can slice with that in any app format I guess. I hadn't even thought it might be packaged differently for ARM.

I use flatpak for a bunch of things like Signal desktop on my x64 Chromebook and it's annoying that with my Duet those same apps aren't packaged for aarch64. I looked into building debs for SIgnal desktop and it's going to be a pain because Electron isn't as thoroughly supported on aarch64.