Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like my Acer 14" - it's a clone of the macbook air and has a 1080p IPS screen. Mine is from a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure if they've refreshed the innards since then. It doesn't have a touchscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

Would HP Chromebook - 14-ca030nr be OK for a sub-$300 that does web browsing and maybe a bit of linux stuff? Nothing real complicated.

I'm gonna pimp the Acer Chromebook 14 yet again because it has a 1080p IPS screen and this thing is 720p and almost certainly TN

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

How long did you let the fucker dry? My stupid Acer 14 has been out of commission for DAYS after getting a few drops of liquid on the keyboard, but it has always bounced back after a few days at most.

Don't go IPS to TN, you don't deserve that :barf:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's 16:9 and 1080p with an optional 4k upsell, so they got rid of the good aspect ratio, which was the only reason I ever lusted after google laptops

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Yup, looks like it sold out within 3 hours, and I managed to grab one when I realized it's the 2015 professional/business model, which is very nice and built like a tank. Excellent keyboard, touchpad, display, battery life; I don't think the display is the touchscreen and I'm not sure if the keyboard is backlit, but even if not it's a good deal, as evidenced by 70% of purchasers buying at least 3 of them! :eyepop: It's pretty much the perfect "throw it in your bag and haul it with you just in case" cheap CB.

Also, for anyone who hasn't purchased anything like this with variable specs (particularly laptops) from Woot, it's entirely possible for there to be some higher-spec'd variants (like with the touchscreen, better CPU, etc.,) mixed in and sent instead to some lucky buyers, as I've received these before (e.g. a Razer Blade Stealth, the HP 13 CB I regularly use, etc.) and they're not going to list 12 different variants of which they only have a handful when they mainly are selling a bunch of the base variant.

I agree that some of the specs are overkill, like an i7, a large amount of NVMe storage, TB3, as the main draw of CBs is good performance on modest hardware at affordable prices. The only real need for the higher-end specs would be to add greater offline software support (e.g. for gaming, although a dGPU is then going to be a requirement and additional cost, or multimedia transcoding, etc.)

Yeah, I'm sad I missed that woot deal, just like I'm sad I missed a ~$200-250 deal on the same chromebooks when dell stopped making them a couple of years ago. IIRC that model (or maybe just the higher end i3/i5 version?) had removable storage

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Edit: holy poo poo just tried the separate YouTube app, goes silent as soon as I minimize it. Trash.

This behavior in the app is 100% intentional. They're trying to monetize your exact use case on android/ios by forcing you to pay a subscription fee for "youtube music" in order to enable background audio

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

crucial has a fairly comprehensive and reliable RAM compatibility database

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

HP specs page for your model number:

quote:

Memory, standard
4 GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (onboard)

And here's a video showing the motherboard, with no RAM slots evident, I don't think it is upgradeable