Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: chromebook thread garbage fire

I have a $1000 Thinkpad, I use it for real things like work and tinkering. It's great. Has ~4 hours battery life if I really stretch it out.

I also have a $170 Chromebook with 4GB ram I use for dicking around on the internet. It also has true 10+ hour battery life during normal use. I use it 3x more than my Thinkpad these days. I'm writing this on the chromebook right now.

That said, I'm planning on upgrading my chromebook for two reasons:

1) intel cpu makes it easier to use for docker/crouton/gallium os dev/tinkering stuff
2) usb-c charging, no more relying on some decrepit proprietary charger

Dell just announced their 5000 series which looks pretty hot, has USB-C charging.

I would love an iTerm clone for chromebook, that would solve a lot of problems for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Poorly to not-at-all if you have an ARM based Chromebook

Gallium OS has a good compatibility matrix for Intel based chromebooks, if that's your jam buy something off this list

https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

Alternately you can just run Crouton which is basically your preferred flavor of Linux, but just running the chromebook linux kernel instead of XYZ vanilla kernel.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Getting a model with 4gb memory (RAM) makes a tremendous difference in usability and future proofing. The lowest end models all come with 2gb and run like garbage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Still waiting for Android app support on my chromebook

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

FWIW if you type in bed or with the lights out with any regularity a backlight KB is a no poo poo difference maker imo

This for real. It's really hard to go back to a "standard" keyboard after having a backlit one.

USB C, good display, backlit keyboard might push that in to "recommend" territory

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

asecondduck posted:

So I threw my R11 onto the Canary channel because Linux apps got enabled on it. Installed GIMP as a test and it works fine. Retroarch didn't respond to any keyboard or mouse inputs, and Steam install failed because no CPU speed is listed in the hardware profile it checks during installation. So absolutely nowhere near ready for prime time, but it's on its way!

Can you try installing Visual Studio Code on it and let me know if it works? Maybe try downloading a plugin too if it actually works.

Also maybe Hyper shell terminal app? Between those two I think I could make a chromebook my daily driver.

Atomizer posted:

Just FYI, USB Power Delivery works to provide up to 100 W of power by negotiating the current at up to 4 different voltages (5, 9, 15, 20,) and the various power supplies don't support all configurations. Typically a 15 or 27 W phone adapter will support 5 or 9 V, respectively, and an Ultrabook (or even the Samsung CBs) may run on a 45 W adapter at 15 V, but may require 20 V to avoid that "slow charging." I'm nearly 100% sure that Pixel phone adapter supports 5 and 9 V max, which is why you're seeing that message, however at least you've confirmed that the CB and that phone power supply are separately functional.

I've run my apple rMBP and xps 15 off a pixel charger before. It is not an ideal way to power your laptop (or more accurately, slowly discharge) but it does work. Both Nexus 5x and Pixel 1/OG chargers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I never thought I'd be using a Microsoft product on a Mac working in tech, but here I am, my primary workflow involves a terminal of some sort (hyper or iterm), vscode, slack and some email client. Oh and whatever VPN client of the week the IT department wants us to use.

This guy has vscode running on a Chromebook, but last I tried it, it was very flaky and required developer mode.

https://code.headmelted.com

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hmm bummer, ok thanks sir

Good to know about typing being slow. Character rendering on vs code is generally noted to be one of the fastest, so if what you're saying is true, then I should probably avoid for the time being.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As much as I loving love the x131/x120 series thinkpads, I think I would only get a USB-C charging chromebook at this point. The luxury/convenience of your phone charger also being your laptop charger, and vice-versa, is unbelievably satisfying. Most other chromebooks us some bullshit proprietary charger

That said, if you give zero fucks about your charging adapter, the Thinkpad X131 is a bitchin laptop and will likely outlive you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sony just released a new noise cancelling over ear Bluetooth headphone to compete with the Bose AC35, has USB-C, once I get those, and a Nintendo switch, the only device left that I haven't converted will be my e-reader. Someday...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4GB and under $180 including tax = buy

So what about the CPU, those don't matter at this price point, and what are you going to save on the 16GB internal drive? Do you know how many cat GIFs 16GB is?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

i would like to know

About 300,000 give or take

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The last thing I printed, ever, was some race instructions for a outdoor race, and some maps to distribute to my crew. That was in like early June. Before that was a mail in rebate. Both were done at the office. Prior to that was a paper resume back in like June 2017. I can't possibly imagine dedicating a permanent spot in mind house for a thing I use twice a year, let alone pay for it, and wasting my time maintaining it and probably buying new ink due to it going stale from lack of use.

Sure, Kinkos charges like $0.15 a sheet to print but that's like $2 a year vs all those hours of your life wasted researching, buying, maintaining a loving printer.

You can cut your hair at home by yourself with a flowbie but nobody does it, you pay for that service because it's a waste of your time and space in your house. I could make frozen margaritas or french fries at my house if I bought the machine for it, and use it twice a year but instead I pay a tiny bit extra for someone else to do it.

TL;DR printers are dumb and you should feel bad, and your flowbie haircut looks stupid.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for a Chromebook with USB-C charging + supports Crostini ("Linux"), under $300

Does not look like the 302 has Crostini support

This is the list: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/w...enabled-devices

I was leaning towards the Samsung 3 ($169 refurbished on amazon) but does not have the USB-C charging

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Just looking at the list of supported and definitely unsupported devices, I'd wager the C302 will eventually be supported. There are older, lesser devices that already have Crostini support and there's nothing technically preventing the C302 from being supported, so just give it time. Maybe hold off on making a purchase until it's confirmed, but that's my strong suspicion.

That's pretty cheap even for recent prices on Woot refurbs, so I'm assuming he found something on eBay or maybe CL.

From what I've read the Linux kernel on a Chromebook never gets updated, and the 302 does not have one of the newer, supported kernels. 302 will almost certainly never have it unless something big happens.

Looking to buy in the next month, looking for something supported now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Supposedly the replacement for the C302, the C434 is up for sale on Acer's website now, at an increased cost

The big immediate takeaway here is that it fully supports project crostini which means it's a fully Linux capable laptop, not just a Chromebook

Also puts a nail in the coffin for the C302 ever getting the kernel update that will allow it to support crostini

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just need it to push/pull from a remote git server + run VScode + a couple other things, like build and run postgres in a docker container to accomplish 99% of my tasks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wish they would release a 12.5 or 13" version of the C434, seems like a slam dunk, but I don't want to cart around a goddamn 14" laptop all day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah maybe. I have an XPS 15 and it definitely feels like a 15" laptop after years and years of dealing with thin bezel 13" macbook pro I haven't used a "thick bezel laptop" in years. And there's a substancial difference in size/weight between an 11.5" budget laptop and a full size 14" laptop. Huge difference. As more and more laptops have ultra thin bezels it's harder to claim it's "like a 13 inch laptop" because all laptops have ultra thin bezels and the goal posts have moved for the entire industry for years now...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am having a problem with a student’s Chromebook and I cannot figure anything out. I asked the google support community but they have not responded. I am hopeful someone here may have an idea of what is happening and a solution to it.

I have a Lenovo N22 Chromebook with an OS build of 73.03683.114. Every time I have chrome brought up, if I try to type anything or if I am on a page for more than a few seconds, it will kick me back one page or it will kick me back to the starting page. For example, chrome kicks me back into the YouTube video list when I am watching a video (usually only 8 seconds into the video). When I type in the url box, it kicks me back to the starting page. If I click on a recent website, it will either kick me back to the starting page after a few seconds or if I try to type something on the page, it will automatically kick me back.

I have wiped the Chromebook. I have logged myself in (instead of the student) and it continues to do it.

Any ideas?

This is not a software problem

Your student spilled coke or milk or something on the keyboard and shorted something on the keyboard that's activating the home and/or back button

If you're feeling especially mean you can take apart the the laptop and find the moisture indicator and charge them for the damage

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I put a class 10(+?) Samsung 32GB sd card in my Chromebook for $15 when I bought it two years ago

It's not the absolute fastest thing on the planet but number of times I've needed to read/write giant files on short notice is two.

If you mostly use your Chromebook at home another good option is get a NAS and plug it into your wifi router for not much more than buying a bigger internal drive on your Chromebook. It's about as fast as a good SD card which is about 100MB/s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On my 2+ year old Chromebook the card fits flush ymmv

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon sells an Amazon branded wool laptop sleeve, they're actually quite good quality (I think my oldest one is 5 years old now) and keep them from opening up

I had a laptop that I shut it down and closed the lid and stuck it in the sleeve and then drove home for an hour. Turns out something prevented it from shutting down and it just baked the battery/itself at 150F inside the sleeve for probably 45 minutes until thermal shutdown finally kicked in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Find the cheapest 27" IPS 1440 display with good reviews and call it a day.

If you're looking for a specific recommendation, I personally have the Dell UltraSharp U2717DA. That's the 2017 27" model, with their new-for-2017 monitor arm, and the arm is. awe. some. Makes the monitor look like it's floating above the desk. A little pricey at $500 but it should last you for the next 3-4 laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D402VQS

Generally I don't mind spending double for a really good monitor as you end up keeping them way way longer than you expected to, plus it's often times the most visible piece of furniture in that room

But there are a ton of nearly equally as good monitors with less good stands for $200 out there

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 9, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dbcooper posted:

Looking for any minimum Chromebook recommendations
[*] Container/Linux support (via Crostini? Whatever is native/“SOLID”[1]). I think that means I should make sure whatever I buy is a supported device[3]?

C302 famously will never get Crostini support because there's no way to upgrade the kernel (the kernel doesn't have support for containers) which is going to make it really hard to use it as a full time dev/Crostini machine. I've spent a lot of time trying to find a good sub-$350 development Chromebook but unfortunately the C302 is not one.

If you find one please post here

My current tiny low power dev laptop is a Asus Vivobook E203MA running Ubuntu 18.04 which isn't a Chromebook but gets the job done and hardware has good Linux support

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

14" laptop is pretty large by 2019 standards, especially if you'll primarily be using it while traveling, imo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Managed device stuff lets you remote wipe the chromebook and if the person quits while it's in their possession the device is perma-locked* so they can't use it as a personal laptop which minimizes theft/"loss"

Having loaner chromebooks is a good idea for any office. A couple of jobs ago anyone who wasn't an engineer had a managed chromebook and it worked out really well for all the obvious reasons. You have to be firmly committed to a cloud-first IT solution though

*Technically if you pull apart the laptop and floop the widget you can bypass this but it's usually more trouble than the laptop is worth

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The problem I have with Chromebooks is that each Chromebook has a slightly different model number depending on region it was originally intended for and there's a bunch of grey market Chromebooks out there so it's hard to figure out what the hell it's buying

If you manage to figure out what the model you want to buy, roughly matches up with on developer info on chromium.org, now you know which baseboard version it has (effectively the OS release feature-set you're stuck with for the life of the laptop) and then you need to cross reference that baseboard version ( could be "octopus" or " maple" or "fizz" or "coral" or who the hell knows which one is most recent it's not alphabetical in any way shape or form) with the features you want, in particular, "does this laptop have crostini support for Linux apps?" And "is this laptop going to stop receiving updates in the next six months, which would suck since I just paid $200 for this yesterday"

Good luck

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You probably want 4GB ram but even the shittiest arm processor can decode 60fps youtube @ 1366x768 with modern hardware decoding stuff, no worries about that. I have a garbage-tier ASUS C201 that was out of date when I bought it in the summer of 2016 and it rocks out with it's cock out on youtube. Haven't tried Hulu recently but I can fire that up if you're honestly curious. Streaming video decoding in hardware was solved long, long ago.

My 1996 Sony Viao Pentium 1 200mhz had some form of MPEG 2 hardware decoding via MMX extensions (cpu video hardware decoding for you young'n's). We are not breaking any new ground here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

This thread taught me what MMX actually was.

Now I feel justified in desiring it back then.

Yeah but combination of 2GB hard drive + dial up speeds to download MPEG2 video meant you could store 1.5 movies + windows and that was it, if you managed to download those in less than six weeks over dial up you were in pretty good shape.

Of course, BitTorrent, Napster, gnutella (later limewire) wouldn't be invented for four years, and divx/mp4 (grandfather of h.264, what your Chromebook supports) came about around the same time

MPEG2 was cool for doing real-time DVD playback on wheezy Pentium 166 where the DVD drive didn't have the built in decoding

TL;DR watching video on computers wasn't exactly practical until about 2002/3/4 and my age is showing

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 3, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Do you still have to use a program like PowerDVD to watch DVDs on a computer?

Yeah once the "encryption" was broken any open source app could decode it

Also the patents on MPEG2 expired so commercial software doesn't have to pay a licensing fee to those German fucks anymore to decode it

Open source used to be a lot more crufty and you would go to CompUSA or best buy and get a commercial cardboard box with a CD in it, and that price included the MPEG2 decode license fee etc etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Ice lake is surprisingly competent for indy games.

Yeah unless you're playing shooty mcgunface 2022 @ 144hz @4k in ultra mode, integrated graphics got good around 2013 and they've gotten pretty great since then

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's great in my book. Great is very subjective depending on the user and various factors. I bet it plays fortnite like tits, which is all my coworker's three little brothers care about on their hand-me-down laptop.

If you already own a $2200 gaming laptop with rainbow led keyboard you might actually piss on an XPS out of spite. While wearing VR goggles

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bottom firing speakers for lap use are the loving worst. If sound actually matters to you, don't do it if you don't have to.

I'm not big into sound but muffled youtube audio is extremely frustrating.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Huh, actually, I mentioned that my old laptop died to prompt this: I wonder if there's a small cheap chromebook I can transplant the 256 2.5 SSD into. Maybe even a ram stick. Or do all the current chromebooks use eMMC.

I have an OG i5 pixel chromebook sitting on a shelf I can list on SA mart for bargain price if you want

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Lapto.../dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-D...ter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Think...S0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Think.../dp/B082M4MVFG/

Whoops, trying to strip the link tracking BS off it, stripped too much off the end of the URL

Since I've piqued your interest, I have this one. WARNING this one only works with laptops equipped with Thunderbolt 3, which visually is the same connector, but different protocol.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Think.../dp/B07M6S81CM/

I can't find a better photo right now, but in that last image, that's what really should sell everyone on a dock with a separate male-male USB-C cable; there is a power cable, and there is a USB-C cable, both disappear into the ether, all the random crap that's pluged into it? it's hidden away in a cabinet. Two 7 port USB hubs full of all kinds of dongles, USB thumb drives, USB->SATA disks etc all live in a cabinet, and connect through that single cable

Six inch dongles can get hosed

Fake edit: the power cord is because that specific laptop (XPS 15) will flip the gently caress out if you provide less than 135 watts, and Thunderbolt 3 provides 100w but Dell is an rear end in a top hat about this stuff in their firmware

real edit, single-cable USB-C dock master race:

single-cable USB-C dock master race posted:

That reminds me, here is my final home office setup. I've been meaning to post this forever. I live in a moderately small 1 bedroom in a major urban area and work from home probably 2 full days a week + 9am-noon three days a week, so it's important to have a good work area.

The other main requirement was that it blend nicely with my fiance's decor as my home office is one corner of our cramped apartment livingroom.

I have bought all-in on USB-C. My phone, tablet, work and personal laptops, nintendo switch, noise cancelling headphones are all USB-C now so the only things that still use micro-usb are a couple of "usb battery-banks".

Click to embiggen

Overall setup. Work laptop is macbook pro, sitting on some sort of mango wood desk, the monitor is a 1440p dell with a nifty arm that keeps all the wires off the table. The laptop is plugged in to a $70, 6-foot, 100w "active" Thunderbolt 3 cable, that plugs in to a TB3 dock (see cabinet photos). Also there's a standard wireless logitech mouse, the usb mouse dongle lives attached to the TB3 dock. There's just ONE cable that goes from the laptop, off the desk. there's a cable that goes from the monitor to the TB3 dock, and then a power cable for the monitor (which comes up the arm, so never gets on the desk to add clutter) and the last cable, I had to check, is a USB 3.0 A->B cable, as the monitor has a 4 port powered USB 3 hub. The monitor was medium in price, it's the 2017 dell ultrasharp, non-4K edition, and then the arm was a new design for dell (vast improvement over the old version that's been around for 10+ years).

Closeup shot. I am not really sold on this lamp but when we moved in this corner was super dark and this met Her approval. The chair is some ikea thing, I mostly hate it but is serviceable and does not attract cat hair for some reason.

This is my Dell XPS 15 which I have a love/hate relationship with, it also has Thunderbolt 3, which means I can just plug it in with this single cable and all the crap that works with my work laptop, I now have access to with my personal laptop. Same monitor, mouse, NAS, UPS, network equipment, USB 3 hubs, etc etc. Litterally just plug and play. Also works with anyone elses' TB3 laptop.

That white blob on the left is a lead-weighted cable organizer, I use it to keep the TB3 cable from sliding off the table.

This is what I like to call the most expensive computer case on the planet. From the first picture, on the left there is that book case with the cabinet. I think this is like a $700 book case/cabinet. Top right is my beloved Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, out of it comes a 7 port powered USB-C hub, attached to that is a 1TB USB-C ssd, i'm also trickle charging two USB battery banks, from there snakes a Cat 6 patch cable to

The middle shelf, which is a 1gb, 8 port unmanaged switch, and my beloved Yoga 10+ Pro tablet (USB-C charging, of course), that all feeds down to the bottom shelf,

Bottom shelf has an amazon branded UPS battery backup that the Thunderbolt 3 dock, network swtich, wireless router, and NAS are plugged in to, also has a USB out to the thunderbolt 3 dock so the laptop can shutdown automatically

Last photo, top shelf is a google wifi unit, it provides local wired internet to everything in the cabinet attached to the switch, also gives me wifi all the way to the elevator on my floor, it talks to the onhub in my bedroom where the cable internet tap is, so there's no goofy loving CAT-5 ethernet snaking around doors, under carpets or whatever. Google wifi figures it out for me, has been flawless so far

Bottom shelf is a Synology 4 bay NAS that's plugged in to the UPS and it has 6 TB mirrored backup whatever, two bays free for now, all backs up encrypted to amazon glacier for $6 a month.

All this poo poo is accessible via a single 6' cable that comes on to my desk. I am so loving happy. No cables getting tangled, no dust collecting around/between the 50 cables required to keep my laptop plugged in to all my poo poo, no dongle hell... it all lives off this one, single glorious Thunderbolt 3 cable. And yes I can (and do) game on it, even though the cable only provides 100W and the CPU + GPU can pull a max of 135W.

more edit:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Mine is the older version of this.

How many pages do you get out of a toner cartridge

We had an old battle tank HP LaserJet II in the early 1990s which weighed at least 60 lbs, literally dropped it right on it's corner unloading it from my dad's truck from at least 40" onto the concrete driveway, continued to give trusty service for another 15 years until my mom finally threw it out, looks like you can still buy toner cartridges for it to this day

Toner cartridges were about $80 ($140 in 1990s money) but you would get about a thousand pages of book reports out of a cartridge