Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for my daughter entering the 7th grade. It's looking like we're doing a web based homeschool program because of Covid (with some close acquaintances who live nearby and also have kids so they're not completely isolated, but anyway).

We're all Android here, I haven't had a Windows machine in forever. Should I get a Chromebook? If so, tell me what to get. Obviously cheaper is better but definitely under $500 which looks reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

Are there any specific software or hardware requirements posted by the homeschool programs? You'll definitely get a much higher quality device for your money going with ChromeOS over Windows, but it doesn't mean much if you can't use anything

No hardware retirements listed so I assume anything modern will work fine. Says everything is browser based, using flash player. So should be fine? It's not a great hardship if it doesn't work, I'll just use it myself and get her something else.

So anyway what's my best option here, that's actually in stock to purchase somewhere?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That's problematic, but not just for Chrome (but especially chrome)

Adobe is stopping the distribution of flash in December and Google has it on their roadmap to remove flash from Chromium in Jan 2021.

Of course, all browsers are dropping support of flash at the end of this year, so this isn't really something that can be worked around easily.

Ok, looks like their FAQ is outdated, their web developer has already moved their curriculum to HTML5 and they say outright that they support Chromebooks. It just says all this on their FB page so I had to get my wife to find it.

SO. Best available Chromebook in the <$500 range, and cheaper is better cause it's for a child?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I ended up with a refurb Acer 315 direct from Acer for $199. Haven't used it much but probably also overkill for the use. It also appears to be sold out now, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Brother laser printer I purchased last year was Mopria print certified and has worked seamlessly from our Android devices. After reading your post, I downloaded the Mopria app on my kid's Chromebook, set up the printer in the settings tab, and immediately printed a document. It took about 2 minutes start to finish. It's nice, the Mopria app will notify if there's a queue or error codes (so far only out of paper/ink). The app basically stays in the background, you just access print in whatever apps hamburger menu.

It has so far been a trouble free device. My wife's work windows laptop is connected to it via USB for ~reasons~ and we've printed wirelessly via Android, and from her computer at the same time with no issues, just queues up and goes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mine is the older version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hadlock posted:

How many pages do you get out of a toner cartridge

We had an old battle tank HP LaserJet II in the early 1990s which weighed at least 60 lbs, literally dropped it right on it's corner unloading it from my dad's truck from at least 40" onto the concrete driveway, continued to give trusty service for another 15 years until my mom finally threw it out, looks like you can still buy toner cartridges for it to this day

Toner cartridges were about $80 ($140 in 1990s money) but you would get about a thousand pages of book reports out of a cartridge

A lot. Purchased it in January 2019, and just replaced the toner last month with fairly regular use.

I bought aftermarket toner @$26 for a two-pack. Just had to swap the Brother chip to the toner cartridge so the printer is happy.