Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Atomizer posted:

https://chromeunboxed.com/100-off-the-pixelbook-plus-a-free-gift/

Just FYI: It looks like on Amazon you can get the base Pixelbook for $900-$50 GC and possibly-$45 cashback if you have the Prime card like I do (5% cashback on Amazon purchases.) Or, if you buy from the Google store they're offering the base OR mid-range Pixelbook with the Google Home.

If you didn't need the Home, and have the Prime card then the Amazon deal might work out better, otherwise you'd probably come out ahead if you bought direct from Google and resold the Home.

To add to this, if you have a Prime Student membership, you get an additional 10% off.

I'm really tempted to dump my 2015 MBP for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

So I'm looking to replace my 2015 MBP with a chromebook of some sort. The c302 and the HP listed on woot (in the OP) are the top contenders especially considering I haven't seen anything coming out of CES that looks like it would compete. I guess what I'm looking for is advice/comparison on build quality, the trackpad, and the screen, since I've grown accustomed to all of those things being pretty top notch on an Apple device. I know that the Pixelbook has probably the best trackpad outside of Apple devices that I've put my fingers on, but how do the 302 and the HP compare? Obviously the 302 copped a lot of design cues from Apple, how does the HP compare to that? Screen wise it looks like the HP wins out handily...

I'm also tempted to just say gently caress it and pick up a base model Pixelbook, but I can't really pull the trigger knowing they were $100 cheaper a few weeks ago.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Atomizer posted:

The HP 13, which I'm using right now, is the nicest non-touchscreen CB. The QHD+ display is on par with the OG CB Pixels, and the touchpad is nice, if a little small, for a plastic surface. I don't have the C302, but it's still one of the top recommendations, right up there with the Samsung CB Plus/Pro and the Pixelbook; these would be a better choice for Android apps (which the HP nevertheless has support for in Stable now) and mixed-mode use (i.e. tablet/tent/whatever modes.)

If you are indeed considering the Pixelbook, keep in mind that even though it's at its regular price now, you can buy it with the stylus free, which is basically the same discount ($100.)

The Samsungs are out. I demoed them at Best Buy and have no idea how anyone types on them with that butchered keyboard, but those displays are gorgeous.

I ordered a c302 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals. I figure I can demo it (and ChromeOS) around the house for a day or two and see how much I use apps and the tablet/tent/whatever mode and if the screen is up to par. If worst comes to worst and the display looks like complete rear end to me, I can send back the 302 and grab the HP off of woot. (I can't find woot's return policy and that's seriously troubling)

Pixelbook is still out....The pen only sells for around $80 and ordering off of Amazon (10% off for students) doesn't include it anyway, plus I'd like to move away from carrying around something that expensive.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

I found it by typing "woot retu" tab, then enter

How do I return a damaged or defective product?

https://www.woot.com/faq

Yeah....the last sentence is what I needed but apparently overlooked in my skimming. But also they should just have that as a heading for returns that aren't defective/damaged.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I've been playing around with the c302 now for about an hour and this is a really, really nice machine for $400. Fit and finish are really good, and my only gripe so far is the sort of mushy keyboard and that the trackpad isn't as nice as the Apple/Google variety. I'll put it through it's paces here this week and see if it works with my workflow.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Because I have a minority opinion of posters here, I am kind of compelled to post in this thread. This thread partially serves as a product recommendation thread.

IMO it is considerate to warn potential Chromebook buyers, like hotsauce, who really want to use the Android functionality in ChromeOS that the Android functionality isn't just rough, or unpolished, or other euphemisms--it is pretty dysfunctional. 'Plays 1080p video without half second pauses every two seconds' is a pretty low bar for a new electronics device in the year 2018, and the Android functionality in Intel-based Chromebooks can't clear it.

So, you're absolutely not wrong when it comes to Android app support. I downloaded the android Prime video app on my c302 and it's terrible. I would not use a Chromebook as a primary Android device. But the OP is also pretty clear about what Chromebooks can actually do, who they're for, and that the android apps being bonus is in fact just that, a bonus and a recent addition.

That said, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Prime video...all work in a browser window just fine, which is the point of a Chromebook. 80% of where I spend my time is in a browser window, and I think a $400-ish machine that does just that with the fit and finish that the c302 has is a pretty good value for a modern computer, especially when you consider that there are cheaper models out there that will do the exact same job for close to half of that price.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I've had my c302 for a week and it is a cool and nice device and web apps are cool and everyone needs to just smoke a blunt and calm the hell down about some $400 laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

Excellent post, very informative. Pretty much the only non Google suite application I think I'd be using is direct TV now and some kind of .cbr file reader. And if dual boot to GalliumOS is as easy as you say, I can just use that for what mild image manipulation I may need.

I'll just add that I've had my c302 for a couple of weeks now and it's been perfect for doing basic bullshit that I need to do in class/on campus. I can't stand the keyboard layout on the Samsung, although I think I would prefer the 3:2 display at this point since most of what I do on this is word processing/online test taking/research, but I'm not willing to shell out for the pixelbook to have the 3:2 display and a non-lovely keyboard. I remote into a VM on my home server if I need to do any heavy lifting and it works well enough on the school's painfully slow internet. Printing through google cloud print works fine for me.

It's a nice little machine with good battery life (and USB-C charging), a solid keyboard, and a really nice build quality. I think you'd be happy with it.