Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Might be worth checking out your local BB for open box Chromebooks if you're looking for one... found a Chromebook Plus for $180. It's in great condition- just didn't come with the adapter.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Have a Pixelbook and Samsung Chromebook Plus for sale (cheapish) here if anyone's interested!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894662

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What year Pixelbook is that?

Hmm not sure- had no idea there were different releases of the Pixelbook.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

dbcooper posted:

Have you ever used Crostini on the Samsung Chromebook Plus[1]? It's the one with the Rockchip RK3399 (OP1), released in 2017[2], yes ?

AFAICT it supports Crostini.

----
[1] https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/xe513c24-k01us-xe513c24-k01us/#specs
[2] https://zipso.net/chromebook-specs-comparison-table/

I believe so- it has Linux support but never tried it. The thing is speedy for its price.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Got the Pixel Slate combo on Black Friday but unfortunately too big for me, so selling at a discount here if anyone's interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905621

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Does anybody have a Lenovo Duet coming? I've been using an Acer R11 forever and the Duet looks cool for my use case (half dicking around on the couch computer, half comic book reader) but with that processor I can't tell if it's basically a lateral move.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't notice someone asking basically the same question at the top of the page

Also got one preordered from BB to test out. Hoping its processor holds up though - it seems like the perfect combo for me (mostly couch surfing in tablet + occasional python dev stuff while traveling w/ Linux).

I got a Slate last year but the thing was just way too big to comfortably use as a tablet.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 11, 2020

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Looks like the embargo on the Duet lifted - here's the AP review:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...qS7MZEtIGi81anY

I guess Lenovo.com will put them on sale soon?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Got my Duet earlier today after a delay with my BB preorder. Initial impressions are fantastic- can't believe this thing is < $300! The build quality is fantastic and performance is better than expected.

But I mostly wanted to cover how Stadia plays, as well as Linux performance for those devs out there:

-Stadia: runs as well as it does on my gaming desktop and TV- no noticeable difference! The screen is colorful and crisp. The browser interface loads quick and controller pairing ran into no issues.
- Here's a pic of the device running Destiny 2: https://i.imgur.com/ktvCm55.jpg
- Here's a video: https://imgur.com/zzg9VB3
- Highly recommend this as a portable Stadia device if you can find one!

Linux: installed quickly and haven't run into any issues with terminal so far. I got this mainly to use as a portable python dev station while traveling and it seems like it'll fill that void. The keyboard will probably take a little to get used to (as others have said, the symbol keys are smaller so easier to miss) and the trackpad seems a bit thin, but overall, performance seems the same as other Chromebooks I've used.

tldr; I'm very impressed with this device. Seems like a steal and no-brainer at its current pricepoint.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

waffle iron posted:

How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

Seems good! I don't like using it in landscape as a tablet because of the aspect ratio (I read in landscape on my iPad fwiw) but it reads well in Portrait. Scrolling is smooth and fonts are crisp in Kindle.

NewFatMike posted:

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.
Never heard of this but will try it out tomorrow.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2020

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

I use Real VNC on my Duet and it's fine - no issues.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Is it just me or is the native ChromeOS keyboard kind of rear end? The thing mistypes much more frequently than Gboard on my phone and randomly fails to autocorrect, capitalize, etc.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

I just got a new HP 11 X2 from the Best Buy sale and really like it so far, but noticed that the white power LED on the side blinks white constantly when the keyboard case is attached and the lid is shut (when it should be asleep). It doesn't seem to blink when it's in sleep and the keyboard isn't attached. Is this blinking normal or does it mean something is running in the background & it's not actually in sleep?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

I got the Elite Dragonfly through work a few weeks back to replace my 2020 MBP. It's fantastic so far. Would I pay $1000+ for it as a personal device though? Definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

My Galaxy Fold has replaced all of those things for me. It's an incredible device.