Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tunga posted:

How is Android gaming performance on ChromeOS devices? Is it equivalent to running it on Android or are the framerates worse due to emulation or whatever? I realise this may vary depending on the exact hardware involved.

It's gonna vary depending on the game and the Chromebook, but for anecdotal refence GTA San Andreas plays perfectly on full-settings (with an xbox 360 controller) on my OG Asus Flip (C100 Rockchip/4gb ram)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

His Purple Majesty posted:

How well do Linux distros run on Chromebook?

I boot Kali from an SD card on a arm Chromebook (Asus flip 100) and everything works perfectly, including additional usb WiFi radios.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If you're interested in running android apps, ARM chips perform better.

If you're interested running other Linux distributions, Intel chips have much wider compatibility.

This is especially true for the Samsung Plus/Pro.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Slightly related I guess, Steam Link is getting an Android app so by the end of May you should be able to stream your Steam library to your Chromebook (without having to run Steam in Crouton).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Volguus posted:

No, since for a layman transferring files from linux to chromebook over ssh is not an appealing thought. And if the chromebook is one of the cheap ones, with a CPU that executes one instruction per decade, the nested layers of virtualization that running linux requires will make it completely unusable. For a layman.

It's not virtualization, it's containerization same same way that Android apps presently run (shared underlying kernel, chrome desktop environment in a container, android environment in a container, now linux desktop environment in a container). Performance will be roughly the same as the android apps.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

mystes posted:

Are you sure? Various people having been saying that it runs a container inside a VM (using KVM) or something like that.

My bad, one of the project commits does specifically mention a Linux VM.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, what apps is that turning out to be for everyone? For me I can foresee Plex possibly going on there, for offline usage and Plex Sync when travelling. Perhaps Netflix for the same reason. Both of those would be travel use when offline, web clients all the way when online or at home. Since I don't actually have a Chromebook, a guess on my part. Perhaps Annotate, since I'm a fan of large red arrows.

Android wise I basically only use mine for games and Lightroom + Instagram. Being able to go from Lightroom on a big good screen (Pixelbook) directly to Instagram without going via my phone is magical.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

Boxing Day sales wise... I'm not seeing anything significant on the higher end side (8gb RAM + as much storage as I can get) except the Pixelbook -$300 deal. The Acer Chromebook Spin 13 isn't even in stock in most cases. Wondering if I hold out (past boxing day/year end)...

CES in January will probably see some device announcements from different manufacturers, but they likely won't hit shelves until a few months afterwards.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

3 Chromebooks can no longer charge and turn on. When plugged in, the battery light will not even light up. We have tried the unplug from chromebook, unplug from wall, wait and plug back into chromebook and then the wall. No response. While plugged in, the Chromebook will not turn on and it will not respond to wipe commands or factory reset commands. Any ideas on what we can do?

Pixelbooks were somewhat notorious for randomly deciding not to charge and this could always be resolved by doing a hardware reset - https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606

I'm guessing these aren't Pixelbooks, but it's probably worth a shot anyway.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd like a nicer screen, but don't need it. To me this device is the opposite of an iPad, something that I type into and the keyboard is its most important part. Also, what the hell is a "Gaming Chromebook" and what games would even run on chromebooks? Why is this a segment?

Pretty much all Chromebooks do a decent job with the game streaming services like GeForce Now, Xbox Cloud Gaming etc, and then Steam runs pretty decently - and more importantly officially - on modern Intel/AMD Chromebooks for pretty much any game that works on a Steamdeck.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/steam-on-chromeos/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's pretty funny and very Google that they killed Stadia before they properly launched the "Gaming Chromebooks"