Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hey all, never touched a chromebook in my life so don't have a lot of knowledge in this space. My kids use them at school all the time and my youngests (8 years old) have recently gotten pretty into writing stories and such on their iPads. I believe it's time to get them something more robust to work with and my wife and I like the idea of using Chromebooks for their 'work' at home. They likely won't be using it much outside of google docs/sheets/slides and maybe some interesting apps that come along the way (Scratch and the like).

My initial thought is that with the low level of requirements that I have any old CB should be able to work but want to avoid the pain that I've experienced in the past by picking up budget Amazon tablets that only gave me frustration. What should I be looking at spec-wise at a minimum for these during the BF sales this week?

From what I've read on the past few pages I should be looking at a minimum of 4GB RAM and Touchscreen. Everything else seems like it would be fine for kids. I see above lots of discussion on official support through a certain date (2021...2025). Is there anything to this other than no more updates, or is there a harder stop to the usage of the device? Just want to be cognizant so I don't buy into a problem a year or two from now.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I saw a headline recently that folks were taking old laptops and installing ChromeOS on them. I have a Surface 3 (non-pro) lying around going unused. Where can I find out if this is a device that is compatible / able to have ChromeOS loaded onto it. Would love to make use of this with my kids.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

AFAIK, people are using CloudReady to do it: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

Awesome, will check it out. Thank you

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Scanned the past few pages. I'm joining the 'need to get a Chromebook for my kid for homeschooling' camp as the ones to be issued from the school won't be available for several months.

For third grade, it is looking like the Lenovo Duet would do everything that I need? We want a dedicated 'this is learning time' device so his only requirements would be for school, including video for Hangouts or whatever they're using in Google Classroom.

Anything else that he wants to do recreationally can be done on his PC. He's very prone to distraction so having a dedicated device will be very beneficial for his focus.

Thoughts? Don't want to overthink this, but don't want to buy an inappropriate item for my solution.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Awesome, thanks! Will keep an eye out on both. Probably hosed since the whole world is doing the same.