Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Greetings Chromebook thread. I really want a new chromebook. I have an Acer CB3 or something that I bought back in 2015. It's ok, but I regret getting the 2GB version and I am sick of 1366x768. While it's not as bad as it used to be, where it would hard lock because I had four tabs open, the 2GB is frustrating to deal with. I want at least 4GB, 1080p, and something that isn't slow as hell. I don't need anything crazy, just being able to browse the internet and sometimes watching HD movies without the thing taking a dump would be nice. I've been looking around and I think I might go with the Asus Flip C302. Looks like it will be $449 when it comes back in stock and I'm about to hit up the coinstar for about 170 bucks in Amazon dollars. Is that a decent enough model where I can do some light computering from bed and maybe be able to use Linux on it sometimes? I tried it out on my current one around when I first got it and immediately had to switch back because it was unusable with 2GB of RAM. Or is something likely to come out soon that I should wait for. I'm not in a super rush or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it matter if I go with the core m3 vs m5?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Sometimes I have to print something. Like something for school or proof of registration because I'm too lazy to renew my car tags at a reasonable time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my c302CA today and I'm really enjoying it. I can see why maybe 16:10 might have been better and how 3:2 might have been better for tablet mode. I don't mind though, I'd much rather have the wider keyboard. Though it does feel weird that my new chromebook is behind my 3 year old chromebook in both both version and kernel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm really enjoying my C302a. Especially after finding out that alt and the brightness buttons changes the keyboard brightness.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also use chrome remote desktop and it's great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love my C302A. If they ever allow it to run Linux, it will be even better

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no pen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That new Asus seems interesting but I don't know if I'm into it. I like the black keys the 302 has. Also, it says you can get an i7, and i5, or a third one and the price starts at 569. Does that mean the i7 version would end up being like 800 dollars? I'd be interested to see what kernel version it will run. If it can't do Crostini, that will be a hard pass and I'll stick with what I got.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you have to subscribe to Office 365 to use word for android. I was able to just use my school email to get it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It does really suck. If it had crostini support, it would be perfect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The MSWord android app is able to access my SD card and storage

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone find this better together thing takes ages longer to unlock than just normal Bluetooth did? With Bluetooth unlocking, I'd open my Chromebook, unlock my phone and the icon was already green. With better together, it takes 5-10 seconds before it finds my phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think more than a thousand dollars was always going to be a tough sell for a device that relies on phone apps and linux in order to compete with cheap windows machines. I love my chromebook but it sucks to have to deal with the android version of MS Word, because it's slow and built for a phone. Google Docs is ok, but I like Word.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do you even find the Amazon prime truck? My amazon app will be all "AMAZON TRUCK IN YOUR AREA" Yeah, but where?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Click with two fingers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's IPS, I don't get any weird TN viewing angle issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Atomizer posted:

What's really fun is when the Oculus software is running, which creates a 3rd virtual display that's like 4k x 4k or something like that and it shows up as a huge black box (while simultaneously making the other displays even tinier) in the CRD app. :rolleyes:

There are settings that let you zoom in to view it normally. Mine shows up full size and I just move the cursor to the edge of my screen to scroll around the desktop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it possible something pushes one of the buttons on the side to cause it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm just now finding out that the top of the screen of my C302A is lined with magnets. I bought a stylus for using with Mario Maker 2. I was holding it near my closed chromebook and then the stylus stuck to the screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My Nexus 7 was amazing. I used it for years. It's just too slow nowadays and out of date. it was just the right size to hold in one hand to browse the internet and then use with two hands to type.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you still have to use a program like PowerDVD to watch DVDs on a computer?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My Chromebook was doing that until I restarted it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It sometimes randomly stops working for me. No idea why. I'll restart both my chromebook and phone but it won't work. Then it starts working again the next day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it is web based and everything is done through a website, a chromebook should be just fine. Chromebooks can do nearly anything with a website that a windows based computer can. But definitely look into the program or ask them if you will need any software that only runs on a specific OS. Like if they have some sort of testing software you have to run to make sure your computer isn't doing anything to help your kids cheat or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-Charging-Reader-GX90T77924/dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-Dock-Adapter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

Your second and third links go to a 404 page for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why so you want them to be chromebooks? Just install linux on them.