Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'm looking for an mmo that has a big open world with monsters I have to farm for exp slowly with incremental upgrades where I have to spend gold to upgrade my spells and abilities and have to attack and defend against poo poo to upgrade my weapon and armor proficencies. Also I'd like to have a wide range of different and obscure classes like bards and poo poo which may or may not be actually useful but at least offer a different gamestyle to play. Is there anything out there like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Isn't that what Pantheon is aiming to be?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yes, but it's not out yet.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

tried final fantasy xi?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Shy posted:

tried final fantasy xi?

aren't there like 2 final fantasy mmos?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ossipago posted:

Isn't that what Pantheon is aiming to be?

but the art looks so soulless and generic...

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Pretty much FFXI is what you want even though it is a shadow of what it used to be.

XIV is more of a theme-park MMO while FFXI is more in the vein of EQ.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 30, 2017

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

7c Nickel posted:

but the art looks so soulless and generic...

So pretty much a modern EQ- Yep. Pretty sure that's their gimmick.

Well- in a 'we just bought this on the Unity store' kinda way.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

If you do decide to play FFXI prepare to glue yourself to the wikis to deal with the incredible amounts of hidden bullshit the game enjoys tossing at you.

Also, 3rd party software.

Don't let that scare you away though. FFXI was always well known for having a pretty good storyline if you could push through the hellgrind and the game has gotten far more user friendly over the years.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 30, 2017

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Project Gorgon checks a lot of those boxes. I think it's currently free to play, too?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm sure the latest pile on kickstarter is promising these things and they just need your money to deliver

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There are "legacy" WoW and EQ servers for folks who value nostalgia over good gameplay and UI design. Other than that you're probably SoL. Without those rose-tinted glasses, those games were poo poo.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Calef posted:

Project Gorgon checks a lot of those boxes. I think it's currently free to play, too?

isn't this that crazy mmorpg where everyone was turning into cows and poo poo? is it supposed to be like ultima online?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Calef posted:

Yes, but expect some clunk and content imbalance. If you're looking to solo all the way you can do it. If you want mandatory grouping all the way, this isn't it (not yet anyway).

Magius1337est posted:

isn't this that crazy mmorpg where everyone was turning into cows and poo poo? is it supposed to be like ultima online?

It's more like Asheron's Call. Made by a former AC dev. Part of the AC community moved there after AC shut down. And yes it has some weird poo poo in it, including being turned into a cow which is its own class.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Magius1337est posted:

I think it will scratch your EQ itch. It's lighthearted but good fun and has a lot of what you're looking for. Lots of skills to level, grinding, exploring. And yes you can become a powerful cow, or a bat if you please.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

sword_man.gif posted:

i'm sure the latest pile on kickstarter is promising these things and they just need your money to deliver

Soo... pretty much Alex DeLarge's post history?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Spider Covets posted:

I think it will scratch your EQ itch. It's lighthearted but good fun and has a lot of what you're looking for. Lots of skills to level, grinding, exploring. And yes you can become a powerful cow, or a bat if you please.

It's not nearly as social an experience as an EQ1 though, just as a heads up.

There is something magical about playing as a pig what kills enemies through giving them existential crisis with your psychology skills.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

Soo... pretty much Alex DeLarge's post history?

dohhohohoho

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DeathSandwich posted:

It's not nearly as social an experience as an EQ1 though, just as a heads up.

There is something magical about playing as a pig what kills enemies through giving them existential crisis with your psychology skills.

This sounds exactly like the ur-goon-recommended-game. Something terrible and unplayable but that only the people who are obsessed with it post about so the thread never has any critical commentary on it. See also EDF, Shadow Hearts Covenant and Dominions 3.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Byolante posted:

This sounds exactly like the ur-goon-recommended-game. Something terrible and unplayable but that only the people who are obsessed with it post about so the thread never has any critical commentary on it. See also EDF, Shadow Hearts Covenant and Dominions 3.

Nah. It's nostalgic, it's free, and it's fun to mess around with now and then, but it's not really something I could see getting into to that extent. I've only ever made it to level 10ish myself. I guess the way to describe it best is curious?

It does seem like something the OP would like, though, based on what he talked about, so maybe it would scratch the itch for him!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Byolante posted:

It works and it's free. Something terrible and unplayable is what the op is asking for anyway.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
ITT: People chasing the dragon.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I don't have an answer for the OP, but man, activity sure is down in the MMO HMO since the last time I was heavy into MMORPGs (2007->2011). Dying genre? Or dying forum?

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I think it is just the genre continuing to shrink. A lot of people just want to continue playing with their friends in MMOs they've already sunk time and effort into and don't want to really try the same thing with a different coat of paint I think. Though that's just my guess.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
There's only 3 good mmos, project 1999, private ragnarok servers, and vanilla wow servers

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

I don't have an answer for the OP, but man, activity sure is down in the MMO HMO since the last time I was heavy into MMORPGs (2007->2011). Dying genre? Or dying forum?

There's not a lot of good MMOs coming out these days.

I still dabble in FFXIV every few months, but I couldn't recommend it to new people because there is just so much crap you have to do to unlock content in the game and so much of its fun extra stuff is gated behind whether or not you were there at the time of active events (I hate limited-time events, lol. Let me do things in my games when I want, don't make me feel obligated to play at specific times just so I don't miss out!). I feel like a lot of current MMOs suffer from that same problem. It's great having so much content, but it's intimidating for new players, and people don't want to have to sink in that much time anymore to get to the good stuff. Compounding that is that most new games these days let you get immediately into the action, which I think is absolutely a good thing.

If I think about it, most MMOs coming out in the last few years have been absolute gambling nightmares, too, with the prevalence of loot boxes and cash shops making many games P2W. Obviously there's still enough people around willing to mess with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if those business practices turned off a large market of gamers to MMOs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Elder Scrolls Online is good, but it does not scratch the EQ itch.

You could try shards of dalaya which is a custom EQ server, though the population is small (less than 200ppl online at a time I think) and the game is pretty top-heavy.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

MF_James posted:

Elder Scrolls Online is good, but it does not scratch the EQ itch.

You could try shards of dalaya which is a custom EQ server, though the population is small (less than 200ppl online at a time I think) and the game is pretty top-heavy.

I still haven't figured out how to do poo poo in EQ without having an ingame map or positioning system

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Magius1337est posted:

I still haven't figured out how to do poo poo in EQ without having an ingame map or positioning system

I just install it once a year and chill on the newbie log in the dark elf forest (Nektulos I think) for a little bit, since that's about as far as I got as a kid.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Also gonna suggest project gorgon as that game is amazing. Final Fantasy xi was also mentioned here, which at the time of release was basically an EQ clone. If live XI doesnt scratch your itch check out kupoffxi

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Blizzard just announced classic wow servers so you'll have that option at some point. No timetable for release yet.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
just play EQ when a new progression server comes out

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are plenty of private servers for vanilla wow if that's what you want, OP.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Magius1337est posted:

in that case, are you asking because you actually want to play an old school-style game or is this for research or something? because not knowing what the gently caress's going on and feeling like you wasted your time are basically the defining themes of old school MMOs

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

in that case, are you asking because you actually want to play an old school-style game or is this for research or something? because not knowing what the gently caress's going on and feeling like you wasted your time are basically the defining themes of old school MMOs

If only I knew this 18 years ago.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Magius1337est posted:

I'm looking for an mmo that has a big open world with monsters
Lord of the Rings Online.

quote:

Also I'd like to have a wide range of different and obscure classes like bards and poo poo...
If you like the IP at all, LotRO would probably be worth a look. F2P runs out around lvl 32ish.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

FFXI is still probably your best bet if you want to deal with obscure bullshit mechanics and gimmicks that will require you to glue yourself to the two wikis if you want to figure them out. It has the skill-up mechanics and janky zones full of monsters far more powerful than you that are also aggressive and will chase you across the planet if you don't know how to shake them off. It also has really strange/obscure jobs by MMO standards like Blue Mage and Corsair which are really peculiar by MMO standards.

You basically have to sneak around zones using spells that make you unhearable and unseeable by the enemies for them to not detect and immediately attack you since certain monsters attack only if they see you with their eyes while others only attack if they hear you walking near them.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I'm in the market for an MMO too these days & Vindictus & Black Desert Online look good.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

what about vindictus looks good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My suggestion is Lord of the Rings Online. Great solo play and gang play. Great story lines. Environments still hold up graphically, and the avatars are a step up, but in the same vein, as EQ. You don’t grind through mob kills but you do grind through running everyone’s errands and killing mobs in quantities for their loot turn-ins.

• Locked thread