Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

You know in fairness I have to say I knew this woman who was some flavor of research scientist from DC who did taxidermy as a hobby. She got her subjects by picking up fresh roadkill that she'd spot on her drive home, so a lot of them would be missing limbs. She had her taxidermy room in the basement that was full of poo poo like a Squirrel missing a leg that was posed like an injured soldier desperately dragging itself across a battlefield, and chipmunks posed rearing on their hind legs and flashing teeth like an attacking polar bear. It was all too funny to dismiss as just weird, and some of it was borderline awesome. Plus at least she did kept it confined to her workshop rather than making it a household theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
How would OP feel if someone shot him and put his head in their living room?

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
How did the deer get stuck in there in the first place?
Can't he just walk backwards to get out?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Salem Saberhagen posted:

Portals

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I too live in a zoo/museum.

Tbh its pretty morbid. I've had a taxidermied Siberian squirrel growing up (don't ask) and I'm happy that I don't have it anymore.

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Pick's bedroom has about every square inch of the walls covered in those fake singing bass.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For once, a goon did in fact get head

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Nice elk. I'm into it.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rambling Robot posted:

How would OP feel if someone shot him and put his head in their living room?

Pick is a woman. Please don't misgender her just because she has a majestic penis avatar.

(Also please don't red-title her for this thread, I worked very hard animating her penis.)

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 30, 2017

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you should take the price tag off op

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Pick, as a fan of hit motion picture Maximum Overdrive I'll just say this. Be careful.

also, a nice scarf or hat for winter would be nice.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Pick, as a fan of hit motion picture Maximum Overdrive I'll just say this. Be careful.

also, a nice scarf or hat for winter would be nice.

Elk aren't machines though especially not dead and mounted elk. I'm not convinced you've even seen Maximum Overdrive to be frank.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xJUQxE9tY

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Elk aren't machines though especially not dead and mounted elk. I'm not convinced you've even seen Maximum Overdrive to be frank.

arent they tho? cause like at the intracellular level they totally look like very complicated (but also very sloppy) machines. theyre mostly nonmetallic i guess, but i figured that was just an available resources thing. so my question to you is why wouldn't the comet that animated them machines also hijack living cells? seems kinda discriminatory if you ask me. i think stephen king might want to reexamine the ontological foundations of his opus.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Jim Barris posted:

Fine, okay! I've never seen it. What? Do you want a prize? Thanks a lot, I'm totally humiliated now. Gawd.

Also, what loving movie am I thinking of then???

Oh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Salem Saberhagen posted:

My apartment has clipping problems

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

you should take the price tag off op

That is actually a note to tell the cleaners not to touch it when they’re in.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pick posted:

That is actually a note to tell the cleaners not to touch it when they’re in.

How do you clean the head of a dead stuffed animal? Lysol?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

PathAsc posted:

Zoos and museums are bad - Percelus

lmao you are really defensive about taxidermy, weirdo

skeletons preserved for scientific inquiry=/=some gross redneck's wall decoration :milk:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
there are two barber shops in my town and they are both full of mounted hunting trophies

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Haverchuck posted:

there are two barber shops in my town and they are both full of mounted hunting trophies

Are they in some kind of bloody arms race?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Everyone I know who is remotely outdoorsy has a shelf or whatever full of bones and weird woods stuff. I once found a huge loving carp skull w/ spine attached, after a bird skull a fish is maybe the rarest skull to find! It was too gross to bring indoors so it just chills out in he garden.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Literally A Person posted:

Are they in some kind of bloody arms race?

No, they're mentally retarded hillbillies.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
i'm hugh

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I fell in love with that head right away!!!!!!! Please cherish a head like that forever!!!!!!!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine has a dead red-tailed hawk in his freezer. He was hiking along one day and it fell from the sky and hit the ground right in front of him. Dude is a wildlife biologist so of course he took it home with some idea about doing like some bird CSI poo poo on it with his wildlife-buddies but that never happened so now he just has this dead frozen hawk.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Nice elk Pick

I'm looking for a life-sized Black Forest carving of a stag head, they're usually mounted with real antlers. My parents have a large one and it's magnificent. They're very pricey though

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Pick posted:

I'd be a remarkable witch, among other things I inherited a bunch of narwhal ivory (unicorn) which from what I hear is like witch gold

Pics please :-)

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pick please start collecting shrunken heads.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'd give my fallen beloved a royal burial so they could find peace.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

you have a beautiful rack

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

you have a beautiful rack

Winner

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This one is better:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Hell yea

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
did you do the taxidermy yourself? i dunno if i would personally do taxidermy but those weird sets mice recreating paintings was rad and i would own one.

actually i just googled it, they were cats. walter potter. but there were some mice in nice clothes and id maybe buy one of those too

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Pick, have you ever considered starting your own oddities museum?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

it's really weird to keep and display the heads of animals you killed imo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Cool horse OP

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

Pick, have you ever considered starting your own oddities museum?

I considered my own regional natural history museum in retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

bongwizzard posted:

A buddy of mine has a dead red-tailed hawk in his freezer. He was hiking along one day and it fell from the sky and hit the ground right in front of him. Dude is a wildlife biologist so of course he took it home with some idea about doing like some bird CSI poo poo on it with his wildlife-buddies but that never happened so now he just has this dead frozen hawk.

I had a bobcat in my freezer at school for a while. Finally dissected it, then beetled the bones. Final stage was soaking the skeleton in a bacterial water bath for a few months to get them really clean. About a week before it was time to add the bleach, I learned that the ground crew from the district office had come through and thrown it away, not realizing what it was, but assuming the smell meant it should be gone. Pissed me off a whole bunch.

That being said, I have a shelf that is loaded with skulls at home. I bring them into class when we are studying comparative anatomy. The kids really get into them. In particular, the Bengal Tiger and Mountain Gorilla.

• Locked thread