Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
You forgot the part where the show cuts to stock footage shot in 2014 of treasures that could be buried on Oak Island. It’s especially hilarious when the show depicts several Biblical artifacts using the same shot of the Menorah from Solomon’s Temple.

For people who haven’t watched the show before, it doesn’t take all that long to catch up on developments. The episode recaps are extensive enough you can probably skip some parts and or whole episodes. I caught up with the show in season 2. It didn’t take long to pick up what was going on. Plus there are plenty of online resources (like this and previous threads) to explain stuff.

This is apparently a spoiler for the first episode. Frankly the show had to acknowledge it. It’s definitely a segment of the first episode.

Craig Tester’s teenaged son Drake died from a medical condition he had. Very sad. I know Tester is not the majority owner of Oak Island, but I wonder if the death in the family gave everyone pause about coming back for a new season. Grieving in public isn’t the most comfortable thing to do. Tester doesn’t look like he’s keeping a low profile this season. http://www.record-eagle.com/news/local_news/community-mourns-student-s-death/article_5d5d7964-09d6-5768-a5f4-8704399893df.html
http://www.celebeat.com/articles/24...ancellation.htm

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I felt really sad to see how devestated Tester and Bagley looked. Can’t believe they’re both doing this TV show. My previous comment that grieving in public as a public individual is uncomfortable. It’s uncomfortable for everyone involved. Was it me or did the show decide to double down on how close the families are by showing a lot of of involvement with Alex and the other Lagina nephew whose name I don’t remember? The show thought highly enough of the episode to send him off with Gary Drayton to dig whatever random metal detector spots. It’s not like we saw much of Alex running a digging equipment before either (maybe I forgot he did this before). Could it be I’m just overthinking things?

It must really suck to own an island that you need to transport heavy equipment back and forth over. We know the islands land is hardly the most stable landmass in the world. It looks like all the Laginas can do is construct gravel roads. The harsh winter washe out their gravel road like it wasn’t even there. Maybe Canadian laws also prevent them from paving so close to the shore. I know in true Oak Island fashion the show probably spent way to long dwelling on the development. Wonder if this will be a recurring problem during the shows run.

The updated underwater camera sure produced some nice looking videos of C1 looking for the shiny gold thing. It just struck me as odd during both the probe video and the diver video parts of the shaft walls looked shiny gold. Like maybe that’s the shiny gold thing we saw 2 years ago and the Laginas have been chasing ever since.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Some of Gary Drayton’s metal-detecting exploits tread dangerously into filler territory. The British army camp investigation was interesting but do we really think Oak Island was some military project? That also touches on an idea others have pointed out: was whatever hidden treasure already been found? We met those 3 sisters who claimed family stories said their ancestor (1 of the group who first stumbled on the money pit) already found all the treasure. That freed slave and British army veteran who bought a bunch of plots of land and local accounts said mysteriously earned way more money than seemed possible at the time. That would be an anticlimactic ending for the Oak Island answer to be it’s already gone.

Edit
To add now that the episode started, I’d forgotten how much I’d laugh at the Laginas and Tester when they ask incredibly leading questions to the experts they’d see. Seriously laughing at Tester for trying to get the scanning electron microscope scientists to go beyond their analysis of the spike.

Edit 2
We’re also overdue for a Kights Templar reference or theory.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 15, 2017

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

This seasons efforts do seem more organized than they have in the past. The Laginas have a (ever changing) grid plan of holes to dig more or less reasonable sized holes instead of picking random spots to drill giant rear end boreholes. Maybe they should have tried the Geotech guys first before last years army of diggers

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Anyone else find it a little surprising the government allowed a big excavation of an area with confirmed human remains? Perhaps I’m mistaken, but isn’t that just the sort of thing the mandated archeologist is supposed to run. Not the GeoTech reps and engineers.

Edit now that tonight’s episode has started

Remember when I wondered if the lack of Knights Templar references meant the show was trying to be more plausible? Yeah I was wrong. The Laginas are back on the Knights Templar bandwagon

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 3, 2018

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

Lol they're all hopped up about finding "Middle Eastern" human DNA on site.

That's totally some regular rear end Spaniard sailor

That’s a very astute observation. Muslim rulers and culture controlled a decent sized chunk of Spain for a while. We’re no biologists here but “Spanish sailor with ancestors from the Middle East” might be a tad more reasonable interpretation than “long lost Crusader king.” Or at least more common in Eastern Canada.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Did I miss the team get an answer about the debris pulled up from the GAL1 hole or have they just completely ignored it? I’m talking about the twisted bits of metal that their expert theorized was the hinges to a treasure chest or fasteners to anchor a chest to a ship. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Leginas had an explanation and I just tuned it out.

It appears the production simply replaced the 10X side story with the “Gary Dreton metal detects where ever he drat well pleases on the island until the archeologist shuts him down or he finds something to fake impress Marty” side story.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

They kind of just ignore some things.

Like the metal embedded in the wall in C1. They had a camera see it and a diver locate it with a metal detector that was unable to chisel it out. So they never dived again. This entire year they can't dive there because they churned up all the silt with the drilling which makes no sense because 0.002 seconds after the diver gets there the visibility becomes 0 anyway so the silt being stirred up means nothing.

You would think that an object that would prove all of their theories correct (man made object in a deep cavern) would maybe call for a second dive? If you found it twice why didn't your ultra HD camera actually find it? Why didn't you keep the HD camera there until you found it if you are certain it's there?

The show seems to want to imply that there is a secret underground cave complex from all the talk of man made objects in the caves and the methods that would have been used to dig deep excavations centuries ago but they kind of just ignore the "rectangular openings" or "passageways" in the sides of these caves and dive once before ignoring them completely and trying to find a giant pile of gold by digging other holes.

I found a blog from a long time island resident that apparently just watches the road to the island
http://oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway.com/home/page/2
And a couple months ago, while the season was already airing, they were bringing in divers. So I assume this current drilling hits another cavern they send another diver down to that then finds something inconclusive tune in for season 6.

Thanks for the link to the blog. Interesting different perspective. I suppose if something big was found, there would be some speculation/warning ahead of it appearing on the show.

This reminds me of the metallic rocks in the walls sure had a passing resemblance to the infamously never found “shiny gold thing.”

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

At the rate the dig is going, I wonder if the show tries to slow play the same excavation for 2 more years

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The team used to be so gunho about draining the swamp to find a buried treasure ship but we haven’t heard a peep about that in a while. Are Canadian eco laws that onerous or did History Channel balk at fronting them the money for a second try?

Edit

So this post has not aged well

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 7, 2018

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sounds like a clip show. Wonder if the Laginas get locked in a Nova Scotia bank vault while searching for the lost stone with the Viking runes on it. Everyone has a big heart to heart talking about their time on the island working for the family business. "Could it be? Did the team hear footsteps outside the vault? Could it be the bank manager here to save them or a descendant of Francis Bacon to doom them to be locked in the vault forever to keep the Templar secrets safe?"

Please tell me the old sitcom clipshow episodes went out of style when binge watching became a thing. (I'm perfectly aware this is not the case, especially with this show).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Usually a show is supposed to have an interesting episode leading into the season finale. Instead we got the team stalling for time about doing real things while also raising the specter of “winters coming and we are running out of time.” Oh, and a clip show about all the “interesting” family connections

sunnyboy posted:

...it's been getting worse and worse.

I'm still waiting for the discovery channel (or history channel) show where they reveal the templars actually mounted a mission to mars and built that "face" on the planet. Of course inside is the collected works of Issac Newton plus the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Maybe even that book Bruce Campbell got in trouble over in the Evil Dead movies. COULD IT BE???

I enjoyed this way too much. Very funny and seemingly par for the course with these guys.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Here we go with the season finale/set up for another Knights Templar spinoff show

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I found the season finale pretty lacking. Actually I found your comments about the crazy confederate gold treasure hunters (or rather just watching the first segment) more entertaining than the finale. Even by Oak Island standards, this season was so bloated and padded. The season finale just showed the producers literally had nothing to show. The dig failed and the producers tried to pretend it didn’t. They had to stage the final war room segment with all the “evidence” they found this year just to force feed us all the teams “successes” this year. Marty had even previously told us his “bombshell” revelation that he now believes in the mystery of the island. Man, I hope next season goes way better than this one did. I guess I should not be really surprised this is how the season as a whole and the finale in particular turned out.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

We can only speculate, but notice the Oak Island “tie in” to the confederate gold hunters has only been Marty. Marty, as far as we know the shrewd business mind... perhaps his appearances are purely calculated business transactions to get History.Channel to pump more money into the Oak Island hunt. “Paid cameo?” Yeah I think so.

Regardless, it’s pretty obvious the show had to shoot around the problems at the Money Pit dig. So we got the trip to France, the continuing adventures of Gary Drayton, the Laginas enlisting the help of the Nolan Estate, that time they wasted a 3rd of an episode worrying about Rick getting a tick bite... etc etc. Perhaps the show shifted things around in time. It wouldn’t be he first time in the show either: remember how you could see the crew wearing t shirts for the second cofer dam contractors tasked with draining the swamp before we saw the episodes introducing the contractor and the failed first attempt to drain the swamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

As an example, it seems more reasonable to say “We’re taking a break for a few months because our leader needs hip surgery” instead of “we’re done for a season because weather turns bad in a month or our dig company’s equipment completely failed due to not planning for the most likely outcome.”

• Locked thread