Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

LaptopGun posted:

Did I miss the team get an answer about the debris pulled up from the GAL1 hole or have they just completely ignored it? I’m talking about the twisted bits of metal that their expert theorized was the hinges to a treasure chest or fasteners to anchor a chest to a ship. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Leginas had an explanation and I just tuned it out.

It appears the production simply replaced the 10X side story with the “Gary Dreton metal detects where ever he drat well pleases on the island until the archeologist shuts him down or he finds something to fake impress Marty” side story.

They kind of just ignore some things.

Like the metal embedded in the wall in C1. They had a camera see it and a diver locate it with a metal detector that was unable to chisel it out. So they never dived again. This entire year they can't dive there because they churned up all the silt with the drilling which makes no sense because 0.002 seconds after the diver gets there the visibility becomes 0 anyway so the silt being stirred up means nothing.

You would think that an object that would prove all of their theories correct (man made object in a deep cavern) would maybe call for a second dive? If you found it twice why didn't your ultra HD camera actually find it? Why didn't you keep the HD camera there until you found it if you are certain it's there?

The show seems to want to imply that there is a secret underground cave complex from all the talk of man made objects in the caves and the methods that would have been used to dig deep excavations centuries ago but they kind of just ignore the "rectangular openings" or "passageways" in the sides of these caves and dive once before ignoring them completely and trying to find a giant pile of gold by digging other holes.

I found a blog from a long time island resident that apparently just watches the road to the island
http://oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway.com/home/page/2
And a couple months ago, while the season was already airing, they were bringing in divers. So I assume this current drilling hits another cavern they send another diver down to that then finds something inconclusive tune in for season 6.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Vakal posted:

Remind me, if there really was a treasure buried down that deep, how the gently caress were people from the 1800's supposed to recover it anyway?

The show gets a little conflicting sometimes with the "could it be....literally anything?" and everyone having a different theory being given screentime but the people doing the digging think that it was a huge undertaking by an organization like the Knights Templar pre-1600. Using ancient mining techniques to excavate almost 200 feet deep the island was used as a storehouse for all of Europe's lost treasures and hidden away for all time.

Anyone searching in the 1800s or whoever wasn't supposed to retrieve it and due to the elaborate nature of the excavations I would assume only a large organization with manpower, resources and the secret would be intended to dig it back up, especially if all the talk of booby traps were true.

However, I think they are just hitting natural caverns that are in that geology at 160+ feet deep. The way they keep ignoring things that would prove their theories objectively true make me think nothing is there. They have a pretty big financial incentive to lie since they are spending millions and millions of dollars to dig holes.

I mean it would be cool as hell if they actually did find some kind of treasure complex but from all the people involved it's obvious that imaginations run wild. Fred Nolan thought it was spanish treasure and that a treasure galleon was hidden at the bottom of the swamp. Other people suggest the British troops staged there hid the payroll for all the troops in the Americas. Other people suggest that it was used as a pirate treasure dump. On and on and on.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I'll recap episodes 10 & 11.

Episode 10: Hey we hit a wooden platform or something. The Drill guy is really excited about how the drill feels and this is something new. It's also at the chapel vault depth.

Could it be?! A Wooden platform?! At the depth where the original searchers discovered a seven foot void known as the chapel :words::words::words:

Preview of people looking shocked: We are in a void right now

Episode 11:

How deep are we?
190 feet and we just hit bedrock.
Where did that thing we were talking about go?
:shrug:
That's Oak Island for you.

Could it be?! did the drilling push the chapel vault out of the way?
*grapic of centuries old wooden box soaking in saltwater being pushed, completely intact, away from the drill bit*

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Episode 12 Recap:

"We pushed the chapel vault out of the way"
"Yeah, that's totally what happened."
"So lets dig a new hole like 30 feet away where we found nothing with regular drilling"

Could it be? The chapel vault? Pushed out of the way? in 1895 william chapel :words:

Hey this cross looks like other crosses
Oh and some guy at a print shop says the purple ink on the parchment they found was only used in Church documents.

Could it be? Church Documents? Taken from the location of the chapel vault where in 1895 william chapel :words:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

sunnyboy posted:

At this point I spin through everything that's not digging the hole, especially the metal detector crap. I may be wrong, but at this point after this many seasons (and many fruitless episodes of metal detectors seeing nothing), I'm of the opinion that *someone* has started salting the sites with 'stuff' to keep the pretend going.

I learned to live with the metal detector stuff since it's way way way better than the 40 minutes per episode travelling to europe or talking about random hypothetical theories around a table.

I'll admit it is a bit suspicious that they can go on the beach that has been searched for decades and find that super old cross in like an inch of dirt. They explained it away though by saying that storms are bringing new items onto the beach and I'm not knowledgeable enough to disagree with that I guess.

LaptopGun posted:

At the rate the dig is going, I wonder if the show tries to slow play the same excavation for 2 more years

Yeah really. There are only 3 more episodes left this season which doesn't bode well due to 95% of the time being wasted. Season 6 will also open with 6 episodes dedicated to draining the swamp for some reason while the team learns about Kevin Bacon possibly carrying on the secret knowledge of Francis Bacon who had secret knowledge of Francis Drake.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The episode on the 13th is a Special called "Family" so it's probably going to be milking that kid's death for ratings.

We have to wait for the 20th for the next installment of "Holy poo poo look at this cross again, have we told everyone that cares about this cross yet? Seriously this loving cross guys. btw someone is digging probably."

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

pumped up for school posted:

Saw this on a mining subreddit and thought of this thread:

That’s the kind of work I do for mining companies. Don’t do treasure hunting because these guys are always crackpots who found a treasure map in a flea market, broke, or at best offer a percentage of profits. Assuming this is the Oak Island, I’m thinking to hit them up for info for shits and grins. Email has to be subject lined “COULD IT BE” right? I won't actually do the fieldwork, because it is a pain in the rear end for Americans to do this kind of work in Canada.

That's probably the Oak Island guys.

I was jokingly saying that their ADD would lead them to abandon digging altogether next year and gently caress around in the swamp but something like what you posted actually sounds plausible to me since they got all of Nolan's surveying maps covered in information late this year.

Since Fred Nolan died they now have access to his land that has been closed for decades so I bet they are going to spend most of next season dicking around in the woods looking for the entrance to the money pit since most of the maps and theories I've seen have a "Undiscovered access" that is supposed to lead down directly to the treasure. Spending millions on the giant random holes hasn't gotten them anywhere so next season might be entirely theorycrafting and doing something cheap.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Episode 15 Recap

"Hey we sure are having trouble digging this hole"
"That's Oak Island"
*20 minutes devoted to an "Expert" claiming the lead cross was actually from a Templar Necklace, which counters probably an hour of the last few episodes where a different "Expert" claimed it was a Phoenician idol of an ancient god*
"Well we beat the poo poo out of whatever stopped us in the hole with a giant chisel and it didn't do anything"
"Yeah it must be a huge steel plate"
"Yeah can't be anything else, a giant steel plate"

Could it be?! A steel plate at the original depth of the money pit? Near where William Chapel :words:

The chapel vault was supposed to be a wooden box covered in ancient concrete and the money pit was supposed to be a cavern full of treasure chests. Not only that they didn't actually find anything near this steel plate with their grid drilling system.

I was willing to suspend my disbelief that somehow in ancient times there might have been a hidden underground treasure complex excavated with ancient mining techniques but acting like hundreds of years ago someone put an impenetrable steel plate 100 feet underground that can withstand any attempts to get past it after having soaked in saltwater for over a century?

My money is on them hitting an old bulldozer or something that guy just plowed under in the 1950s.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Wow that was a complete waste of an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Bringing this thread back from the dead to say that I guess I was wrong when I joked about them being out of money. They are apparently going all out this year.

The people that live by the road and blog the activity of the crew said they have been running huge convoys of equipment and materials for the past month. Including a shitload of steel girders/framing and stone.

https://www.facebook.com/oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway/

Looks like they even moved in a new house sized "Research Center" and constructed a huge road/pad at Smith's Cove.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 15, 2018

• Locked thread