Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Neurolimal posted:

How many true incompatible orbs were left before this patch killed them anyways

All I can think of is antimage, maybe impetus???

E: I'm sad shadow demon didnt get a L25 talent that added shadow poison to his attacks
Two, according to the patch notes (Anti-Mage and OD). They'd been slowly killing them off for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

staplegun posted:

They haven't made the ingame tutorial any better at not getting you yelled at in games.

This is impossible to avoid when solo queuing in dota, its only avoided in groups because then you're in a group of people shouting at the solo queuer(s)

dota tips 'n tricks: read about what stage the hero you want to play is good at (i.e crushes early, crushes midgame, crushes late) and try to end the game at that time, if your hero is good at farming check what the enemies that are doing well are using and buy items that stop that:

Debuffs; diffusal blade (after this patch Nullifier, autoattack heroes)/Euls (other heroes)
Spammable stuns; BKB (if you're a damage hero)
Magic damage; blademail (middle of fights hero)/orchid (squishy damage nerdlinger hero)
Autoattacks; halberd/vyse (unless custom games have burnt my brain out halberd disarms will not be dispelled when they activate BKB, but cannot be applied during)
Single target ults; linkens

You will win most of your low ELO/MMR games doing this because everyone else will be following whitebread mobafire guides intended to specialize players in coordinated teams. By the time this starts failing you should know enough about the game to make your own decisions.

If the enemy has a stealth hero buy sight wards and dust, use liberally

If you want the easiest possible beginner heroes play lion or lich. Don't get lost farming in the jungle; its for pulling lanes and dipping for gold between creep waves, you'll miss out on muchos gold and exp prioritizing the jungle unless you've got amazing clear

Im gay (this is important)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 31, 2017

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
New talents are cool (and probably broken as hell) and they're what the old 7.00 talents should have been from the start. also thank god base shrines are gone, that poo poo was awful.

now valve needs to redo the tutorial (again) and rehaul custom games then maybe we'll be out of beta

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i look forward to throwing trees, ghost ships, and games

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

:words:
Im gay (this is important)

Thanks, I'm pretty much one of those people that loads up a build guide and just go "well, I guess this is good enough because I have no idea how to adapt to situations in this game". I'll wait for the patch to drop and then actually invest the time into reading about each of the items.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh poo poo I just noticed Sange and Yasha got their Int buddy in.

Edit: Okay Enfeeble + Nightmare Bane is going to be hilarious.

Edit Edit: Wraith King's New Ability: Summoning Skeletons. I, um.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

staplegun posted:

I'd like to try learning how to play this game for at least the third time now, could anyone suggest some guides for people new to the DOTA? I assume that they haven't made the ingame tutorial any better at not getting you yelled at in games.

there's a bunch of youtube videos or whatever you can watch probably but that's a) retarded and b) boring. random every game and read tooltips instead.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Oh poo poo I just noticed Sange and Yasha got their Int buddy in.

Good lord. They really just want it to be HoN, don't they?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you might say there could be an exchange of ideas going on

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elman posted:

Good lord. They really just want it to be HoN, don't they?

*looks at tiny rework, turbo mode*

between the revelation that valve basically gutted their game development staff + their surprisingly quick turnaround here and in TF2, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some hon/strife/rise/realm/heroes alumni in the ranks game industry has pretty silly job insecurity after all.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Windranger is pretty hilarious now.

That nullifier item is great on her (and also great against her), she pops this + her ult and whatever she is popping it at is going to die.

Build should be something like, phase boots (to do actual damage), force staff (because why would you not get it?), nullifier (it is kind of a budget bloodthorn, just much cheaper), aghs. Then go hog wild.
Ult CD is 15 seconds, whoever you are focus fire + nullify cannot do things or move (unless he pops BKB before), and you can shoot them while running around.

I think we will see a lot of nullifiers in competetive play. Any hero with a decent manapool who does physical attacks can benefit massively from it.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Looks like Phantom Lancer is still garbage, nerfed diffusal blade once again.
Do any of the new items work for his illusions?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
compared to my knowledge of other mobas I'm still pretty scrub tier wrt dotes knowledge, is there a real point to meteor hammer I'm missing beyond tower damage/a cheaper abyssal blade for heroes that attack too slow for abyssal blade? It seems like it would be really easy to avoid due to the obvious telegraphed channel time.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Windranger is pretty hilarious now.

That nullifier item is great on her (and also great against her), she pops this + her ult and whatever she is popping it at is going to die.

Build should be something like, phase boots (to do actual damage), force staff (because why would you not get it?), nullifier (it is kind of a budget bloodthorn, just much cheaper), aghs. Then go hog wild.
Ult CD is 15 seconds, whoever you are focus fire + nullify cannot do things or move (unless he pops BKB before), and you can shoot them while running around.

I think we will see a lot of nullifiers in competetive play. Any hero with a decent manapool who does physical attacks can benefit massively from it.

blink owns too but might be necessary with the invis wind run talent

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

compared to my knowledge of other mobas I'm still pretty scrub tier wrt dotes knowledge, is there a real point to meteor hammer I'm missing beyond tower damage/a cheaper abyssal blade for heroes that attack too slow for abyssal blade? It seems like it would be really easy to avoid due to the obvious telegraphed channel time.

it gives your team high ground vision, damages the enemy creep wave as it spawns and does guaranteed chip damage to structures. it is good on basically every hero and directly addresses the issues with pushing high ground and how boring it is, the main issue responsible for the death of the videogame dota 2

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I dont think this last patch was the worst patch but I do think it was the 2nd-3rd year straight where highground pushing was stupid hard and they made it harder so every game was either a throw when you tried to take rax at 30 or 50 additional minutes of farming until you had a 50k advantage.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

staplegun posted:

I'd like to try learning how to play this game for at least the third time now, could anyone suggest some guides for people new to the DOTA? I assume that they haven't made the ingame tutorial any better at not getting you yelled at in games.

People didn't mention the most important thing, just mute everyone every match unless you feel like dealing with randos on the internet.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Meteor hammer means that a team at a huge disadvantage can't just passively sit in their base forever and kill heroes walking uphill, which turned into a big problem last patch.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

it gives your team high ground vision, damages the enemy creep wave as it spawns and does guaranteed chip damage to structures. it is good on basically every hero and directly addresses the issues with pushing high ground and how boring it is, the main issue responsible for the death of the videogame dota 2

That makes sense thanks, saw you mentioning "item specifically to counter high ground" and wasn't 100% on which it was since theres a ton of crazy poo poo in this patch

seems a bit awkward to have an item basically just to take care of a dumb mechanic but hey whatever works

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

joats posted:

Looks like Phantom Lancer is still garbage, nerfed diffusal blade once again.
Do any of the new items work for his illusions?

Diffusal is better for him now. He can also Rosh with only a diffusal blade now.

Outside of Ghost Scepters you rarely used it for the buff removal anyway also he has free crit at 25 now.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

That makes sense thanks, saw you mentioning "item specifically to counter high ground" and wasn't 100% on which it was since theres a ton of crazy poo poo in this patch

seems a bit awkward to have an item basically just to take care of a dumb mechanic but hey whatever works

glyph making your creeps immune, the removal of base shrines, earlier / stronger siege creeps, meteor hammer are all changes made to aggressively address the high ground issue after it actively and nearly single-handedly murdered this game for years

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

after it actively and nearly single-handedly murdered this game for years

lmao

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how do I make money as support in this game again

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

frajaq posted:

how do I make money as support in this game again

kill creeps for gold

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I do that the carry yells at me

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Advanced players only: kill heroes for gold

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Buy a midas

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That might be a bit hyperbloic but high ground has been obnoxious for a really long time and even atm before this patch hits you basically need to sacrifice someone for vision if the enemy is halfway competent at killing base wards

let alone the miss chance and 3 goddamn heal shrines

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I'm actually incredibly right, now and likely always

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

RisqueBarber posted:

blink owns too but might be necessary with the invis wind run talent

I tend to play windranger as mid or as offlane, depending on hero choices. Getting an extra ring of health in the early game massively increases my ability to dick over whoever I am laning against, while also being a lot more resistant against most types of harassment.

In my opinion, force staff beats blink on windranger because:

1: Force staff is quite beneficial if you are not actively using it, while blink isnt. My experience is that the added regen basically means soemthing like 0.5 fountain trips less per game or so.
2: Force staff is, in my opinion, superior as an escape tool but inferior as an initation tool. As such, blink dagger would be better on heroes who lack other means of initalisation. Windranger can initiate fairly well (compared to lets say Engima or to a lesser extent Centaur). Windranger can initiate via windrun, via her phaseboots or via a cheeky creep into hero latch, this is good bit of initiation in my opinion.
3: Force staff can be upgraded, which is a concern very late game (not that I would ever prioritize this unless I am 6 slotted otherwise).
4: Force staff has more cheeky fun stuff you can do. Like, push monkey king out of his ult, push someone into your tower, safe random people on your team, and well, if you are on a team, the fun you can have with chainpushes is considerable.

Bear in mind that I am a 2K MMR scrub, and that anything I say about WR is based on that, so kindly feel free to disregard anything I say/write.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Everything you said is true but blink is pretty important if you're a decently farming core wr because it lets you actually initiate and erase someone in the early game. Think you still end up with both sometimes tbh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

mute teh carry

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

frajaq posted:

If you take his creeps and he decides to feed that's on him

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Johnny Joestar posted:

broodmother no longer going invis is an interesting change

WHAT

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

waiting for the patch where broodmother and techies are removed from the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the words on the page that we can read posted:

Broodmother:Hero Reworked

Spin Web no longer grants invisibility
Spin Web pathing/speed buff is no longer removed when taking damage
Movement speed reduced from 290 to 270
Spiderling HP reduced from 450 to 250
Spiderlite HP reduced from 175 to 100
Spiders now have 50% magic resistance.
Spiders armor increased by 8
Spiders HP regen increased from 0.5 to 2
Spin Web charges increased from 1/2/3/4 to 2/4/6/8 (matches amount you can place)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9IgHakWXwtNMLJ6M/giphy.mp4

map changes

Kild fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 31, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
broodmother is finally very high skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly