Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?

its regressive because those with lower incomes pay a higher percentage of their salary or annual wages in the form of taxes than those with middle or higher-end incomes do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

We don't have flat rate tax here either, the banding is automatically worked out based on your income. But all that bollocks you just described? Done for me. I might have to fill out a form to be checked for eligibility for any benefits I qualify for (I don't), but I don't have to run the numbers myself.

there was an interest in automating personal taxes but it was heavily lobbied against by the companies who sell income tax software.

our country is fundamentally broken.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?

If you make 20k a year 3400 is a loving fortune. If you make 2M a year 340k is an inconvenience. Here we have 10k ish tax free then bands above that, it's harder to back of the envelope but a linear rise in% by income always sounded better to me.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

its regressive because those with lower incomes pay a higher percentage of their salary or annual wages in the form of taxes than those with middle or higher-end incomes do.

Wut.
The percentage stays literally the same in a flat tax scenario.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

See the post above yours. 17% of your total income when you're making peanuts is a pretty big burden.

Those who have the most should pay the most. Like if you're already making 7 figures a year you're more than set, so put that money back into the system.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you make 20k a year 3400 is a loving fortune. If you make 2M a year 340k is an inconvenience. Here we have 10k ish tax free then bands above that, it's harder to back of the envelope but a linear rise in% by income always sounded better to me.

This is explaining it better - basically at lower income levels more and more of your income is going to be devoted to basic survival necessities. Yes, people making more will generally be spending more on cost of living too (because they can) but even with that in mind, you're basically taking a chunk out of one person's survival budget and another chunk out of someone's investment/Ferrari/coke budget.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

The issue is it seems like a lot of brewers have an obsession with making them taste foul.

Bitter and floral is my jam, so I love IPA's. I also am old and wise enough to know that everyone is different and thank god, because there aren't enough hops for everybody

Ferremit posted:

I dont mind Carlton Draught, Most of my friends wouldnt drink it at gunpoint

:shrug: A few years ago I would have argued but at the end of the day, beer is like pizza, even when it's bad, it's still good. After a long day I'd rather drink a Carlton than no beer

for me? Southern Comfort and lime shakers. 3/4 SoCo, generous squeeze of lime, shake with plenty of ice and pour into shot glasses.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That guy making $2m/y is probably paying half that in taxes, even with deductions, he doesn't want to clear $2m, just $900k. His salary reflects the tax rate. That's $1.1m that could've gone towards other people's wages or improved benefits.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

Bitter and floral is my jam, so I love IPA's. I also am old and wise enough to know that everyone is different and thank god, because there aren't enough hops for everybody
Oh, I like IPAs, I'm complaining that brewers seem to be obsessed with doing weird poo poo with them all the time.

ExplodingSims posted:

See the post above yours. 17% of your total income when you're making peanuts is a pretty big burden.

Those who have the most should pay the most. Like if you're already making 7 figures a year you're more than set, so put that money back into the system.
This is why it can only work if you have a good tax free allowance to buffer the people on low incomes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Wut.
The percentage stays literally the same in a flat tax scenario.

Not sure if this is the direction they were going, but the most recent US flat tax proposal ("Fair Tax") eliminates income tax and replaces it with a flat sales tax - meaning if you don't spend your money you aren't taxed.

And guess what economic classes spend 100% of their annual income by necessity...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Before that Reagan motherfucker the top marginal tax rate was 70% and people had things like pensions and cheap college and better education and and and

:smithicide:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I'll take a step back because I'm #unpopular-opinion.

Can we all agree, however, that before we increase taxes on the upper middle class and higher that there should be some social welfare reform? At least in the policing and administration of the programs so that people who actually need help, get it, and people who are leeching off the system, aren't?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Can we all agree, however, that before we increase taxes on the upper middle class and higher that there should be some social welfare reform? At least in the policing and administration of the programs so that people who actually need help, get it, and people who are leeching off the system, aren't?

nope

also thanks to a few whiners we arent supposed to have political chat in here anyway

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

nope

also thanks to a few whiners we arent supposed to have political chat in here anyway

Fine, I'll just enjoy my investments/ferraris/cokes over here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVK4ibMI-Y

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In the UK it's been shown that the general public believe that 'lazy shiftless sad sacks' are leaching ten hundred billion quid from the pot. Fact is the real number is absolutely gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. Ironically those that are loving the country over are the huge multi million pound + companies.

Not saying don't chase the small leeches but when you have huge ones feeding directly off your arteries you may want to prioritise a bit.

Also I love not having to gently caress about doing taxes ever :allears:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Being wrong is not an unpopular opinion, it's just wrong.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

And who exactly do you feel are the people leeching off the system? Hmmmm? What color skin might they have? :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

scuz posted:

Being wrong is not an unpopular opinion, it's just wrong.

Yeah but take the time to explain why and try not to attack. You may not be able to change the mind of the person you're talking to but the person who is reading may not be so decided and can learn a lot from hearing both sides of the argument laid out.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always Pirate TurboTax.

edit:

Coredump posted:

Yeah but take the time to explain why and try not to attack. You may not be able to change the mind of the person you're talking to but the person who is reading may not be so decided and can learn a lot from hearing both sides of the argument laid out.
I understand your approach but it is so exhausting to present facts to people who do not like facts but instead like catchy soundbites and misleading headlines.

edit again: i am very grumpy today :mad:

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
At least keep the straw manning to a minimum.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think if you're going to propose a radical shift in the way we fund our government's spending you should obligate yourself to at least read and understand some of the criticisms of that system before you even think about suggesting it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wouldn't mind a Peyton Manning or an Eli Manning

:smuggo:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

Best I can do is a Bernard.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Goober Peas posted:

Poor Cooper, forgotten again. :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cooper is not as cute

:colbert:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am in for my second year! I suggest an update to the thread title noting that registration closes November 14th

Come on you Internet nerds! Go register and be a part of something good.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sorry, I'm broke. :( I'll enjoy it from the sidelines like I do every year.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I suggest an update to the thread title noting that registration closes November 14th

Done

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Come on you Internet nerds! Go register and be a part of something good.

This

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

I think IT offering excellent benefits across the board is a bit of a myth. Even when I worked for HP before the split I would have called my benefits just on the good side of mediocre at best.

My aforementioned poo poo tier healthcare is in the IT field.

My coverage with the giant Indian outsourcer I worked for previously was actually very nice, though.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In the UK it's been shown that the general public believe that 'lazy shiftless sad sacks' are leaching ten hundred billion quid from the pot. Fact is the real number is absolutely gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. Ironically those that are loving the country over are the huge multi million pound + companies.

Not saying don't chase the small leeches but when you have huge ones feeding directly off your arteries you may want to prioritise a bit.

Also I love not having to gently caress about doing taxes ever :allears:

It's not all that different in the US, with respect to most of the leaching coming from jackholes/corporations who already have too much money.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

Sorry, I'm broke. :( I'll enjoy it from the sidelines like I do every year.

All you really gotta do is send your Santee a few broken car parts and a candy bar, it ain't hard.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Geoj posted:

This is pretty much the case.

My sister was until recently working for a government run civil service program (Americorps) that pays minimum wage but writes down a sizable percentage of your student loans in exchange for a year of service. As a result she qualified for medicaid.

Recently she was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (the pressure of the fluid in her brain cavity is too high) and as a result of being on medicaid has been hand-waved away by numerous doctors and even after being diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening condition (among the causes of her condition are infection or massive brain tumor, not to mention the risk of permanent blindness from pressure being exerted onto her optic nerves) has more or less been in a holding pattern. Had to wait a month for an MRI scan - which fortunately came back clear - and is now two weeks into a 6-8 week wait for a spinal tap to relieve pressure. It's highly unlikely that someone who could pay cash or at least with a generous insurance policy I would have to wait 3+ months for treatment.

And just to illustrate how broken our system is - it made more financial sense for her to quit a full time job as an administrative assistant to maintain eligibility for medicaid than retain the job and have their insurance cover it.
Wow. Didn't realize how similar Medicaid was to British or Canadian health care.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, those wait times... as unreasonable as they seem, would be par for the course here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Shifting all the burden onto the high earners is exactly the goal of a "progressive" tax scheme. Flat tax is incredibly regressive for not doing so.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 1, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Wow. Didn't realize how similar Medicaid was to British or Canadian health care.

But we have "the best healthcare system in the world"!

Also bear in mind the 3+ months have been how long she's waited since finding a doctor who told her something other than "headaches are common, take an aspirin."

Best health care in the world my rear end :rolleyes:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

But we have "the best healthcare system in the world"!

Also bear in mind the 3+ months have been how long she's waited since finding a doctor who told her something other than "headaches are common, take an aspirin."

Best health care in the world my rear end :rolleyes:
Yup. But you're using "rest of the world" style health care, not the US style health Care system.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Yup. But you're using "rest of the world" style health care, not the US style health Care system.

You do know that medicaid uses the same providers as private insurance, right?

We have the best healthcare system in the world if you can walk into the hospital with a briefcase stuffed full of $100 bills. For everyone else, not so much.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

The difference is that we in the US get to pay more for the privilege of lovely health care.

edit: Yeah, that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

You do know that medicaid uses the same providers as private insurance, right?

We have the best healthcare system in the world if you can walk into the hospital with a briefcase stuffed full of $100 bills. For everyone else, not so much.
Providers, yes. But it pays less, so nobody wants to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This is not D&D.

• Locked thread