Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Hello.

I am seeking to transition from my current job into architectural/construction related electrical installation design as a CAD user or draughtsman, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice for a newcomer wanting to enter the industry? My experience and qualifications are as follows:

- 10 years working as a domestic/commercial electrician in the UK.
- NVQ Level 2 in Electrical Installation (Buildings and Structures), City & Guilds Technical Certificate (Levels 2 and 3).
- City & Guilds 2394-01 (Initial Verification of Electrical Installations), a Level 3 Qualification.
- City & Guilds 2395-01 (Periodic Inspection of Electrical Installations), a Level 3 Qualification.
- City & Guilds 2396-01 (Design and Verification of Installations) a Level 4 Qualification.
- BTEC National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, a Level 3 Qualification.
- Higher National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, a Level 5 Qualification.

Unfortunately, I have no CAD experience (unless one could consider electronic design software such as Multisim and Mathlab thus), but would be keen to acquire CAD experience and qualifications as a first step. If anyone has any advice regarding the kind of qualifications to obtain, possible arenas for acquiring experience with CAD software and/or the sort of jobs to apply for, I would be most grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
You more than likely know the main employers working as an electrician??

Anyway what you want to look up is a job / qualification called an architect technician.

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/architectural-technology-bsc-hons-2017-18

It's basically an appreciation on construction course with an emphasis on 2D CAD and 3D modelling.

Look for an employer who will pay you and give you day release to start that degree.

YouTube is great for lessons on the actual software.

I'm a QS who went to uni with an architect technician.

I'd advise funding it part time yourself until an employer backs you. If anything it shows your determined to stick with the career change. I would certainly hold it in high regard during an interview.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If you get some CAD experience you could see if there are jobs going at the large engineer companies. People with actual electrical experience could fit well with some of the companies. I'm thinking a Mott MacDonald or other large company may suit. Otherwise mid to large sized electrical contractor would need some in-house cad/design capability. Again you may already know people that might be able to point you in the right direction as to who is hiring.

• Locked thread