Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Not once is it spelled Puckins.

akadajet posted:

This thread does not deliver. Voted 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

obstipator posted:

if you carved a pumpkin for halloween this year, vote 5
if you didnt, vote 4

I didn't carve a pumpkin but I want this thread to go to the gas-chamber it so justly merits. What do I do?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

creationist believer posted:

st patrick's day? sounds like an excuse to drink a lot and post on a green forum, something i don't do every other day of the year

Death to the Orangemen, now more than ever.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Salt Fish posted:

This memorial day I'm going to to pay tribute to some of the fallen computers of days past.

I remember having an intel P5 which ran at 75 megahertz. My bothers and I were allowed to play computer games, but only on computers that we cobbled together from used parts that my Dad took home from work. Usually they were destined for the garbage because they were hopelessly out of date.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 had an expansion pack that had come out and we drove to best buy to purchase it. A new feature was a random map generator, which would spit out, in retrospect, lovely maps with minerals and monsters sprinkled around them. At that time random seeded maps were totally new, and as a result it would take 20 minutes tog generate one on the intel P5.

I had a plan for speeding things up. I had just learned about overclocking and set the jumpers to 90 mhz. The maps were being created at record speed! I pushed it to 95mhz, even faster! But then things started to slow down. The motheboard was beeping, it was getting too hot! Not a problem though, because we had box fans, and we made a windtunnel like apparatus to keep things cool.

Sadly, our luck ran out when the dog knocked the fans over. The computer, now pushed to the absolute limit, a screaming 105 mhz, finally gave up. We came back to find it inoperable, our map lost, never to be played. The computer never recovered, and is gone now. It will not be forgotten. Pentium P5 - I salute you for your service (imagine that I have some flowers that I'm lying on a landfill).

I hope everyone in the ol 290 can take a moment from their busy schedule to remember the computers that we left behind, may they rest in peace.

Greater love hath no computer.

:patriot:

• Locked thread